Chapala.com Webboard

Health care for age 75 plus years?

I want to move back to Lakeside soon, but am having doubts about getting decent health care without having to pay strictly out of pocket. I plan to keep my US Medicare and Medi-gap policies, but that would only help me in an emergency, I believe. Does anyone know where I might find health care for the aged, old and decrepit people like myself who do not want to live NOB to the end?

Also, what about the Laredo TX address? Will it work for Social Security/Medicare as a residential address, but not to use the services?

It appears that I will have to become a permanent resident in a couple of more years if I want to stay.

If anyone has any knowledge of the above mentioned topics, I'd appreciate hearing from them.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wish I had an answer for you, but we just moved NoB after too many emergency surgeries and the associated costs; even with some coverage out of country by BC/BS. We liked the quality and convenience better in Guadalajara hospitals, and the medicos at Quality Care, but the frequency was getting to be too much in my late 70s.

Now, we suffer the higher cost of general living expenses and the boredom of the USA, but the medical costs are covered better. That said, If we had more resources, we would have stayed to the end.

Thanks, RVGringo. I, too, like QualityCare and their doctors. I may not have moved back NOB had I found them earlier, and I will certainly use them again when I return, God willing. Do you know if SP will keep you insured after 75? I know one cannot enroll after that age, but am wondering if one is already enrolled, will they kick one off?

Thanks again for taking time to post.

I want to move back to Lakeside soon, but am having doubts about getting decent health care without having to pay strictly out of pocket. I plan to keep my US Medicare and Medi-gap policies, but that would only help me in an emergency, I believe. Does anyone know where I might find health care for the aged, old and decrepit people like myself who do not want to live NOB to the end?

Also, what about the Laredo TX address? Will it work for Social Security/Medicare as a residential address, but not to use the services?

It appears that I will have to become a permanent resident in a couple of more years if I want to stay.

If anyone has any knowledge of the above mentioned topics, I'd appreciate hearing from them.

Keep in mind that Medicare will help in an emergency when you are out of the US . . . but only for the first 60-days.

Keep in mind that Medicare will help in an emergency when you are out of the US . . . but only for the first 60-days.

Can you please cite the information that Medicare will pay for emergencies for the first 60 days? This is what I found.

http://www.medicare.gov/coverage/travel-need-health-care-outside-us.html

Medicare may pay for inpatient hospital, doctor, or ambulance services you get in a foreign country in these rare cases:

You're in the U.S. when a medical emergency occurs, and the foreign hospital is closer than the nearest U.S. hospital that can treat your medical condition.

You're traveling through Canada without unreasonable delay by the most direct route between Alaska and another state when a medical emergency occurs, and the Canadian hospital is closer than the nearest U.S. hospital that can treat the emergency.

You live in the U.S. and the foreign hospital is closer to your home than the nearest U.S. hospital that can treat your medical condition, regardless of whether an emergency exists.

In some cases, Medicare Part B (Medical Insurance) may cover medically necessary health care services you get on board a ship within the territorial waters adjoining the land areas of the U.S. Medicare won't pay for health care services you get when a ship is more than 6 hours away from a U.S. port.

http://www.medicare.gov/supplement-other-insurance/medigap-and-travel/medigap-and-travel.html

Medigap Plans C, D, E, F, G, H, I, J, M, and N pay 80% of the billed charges for certain medically necessary emergency care outside the U.S. after you meet a $250 deductible for the year. These Medigap policies cover foreign travel emergency care if it begins during the first 60 days of your trip, and if Medicare doesn't otherwise cover the care.

Foreign travel emergency coverage with Medigap policies has a lifetime limit of $50,000.

I want to move back to Lakeside soon, but am having doubts about getting decent health care without having to pay strictly out of pocket.

How is it possible for someone to move from another country and receive free medical from the new country never having contributed meaningfully to that country's economy? It seems to me we foreigners can only hope to cover ourselves from catastrophic illness by having IMSS or a private policy. Depending on the country from which you come would you not be netter off staying in it to benefit from the health care offered?

"How is it possible for someone to move from another country and receive free medical from the new country never having contributed meaningfully to that country's economy?"

Happens daily in the US with immigrants from Mexico. Not saying there is anything wrong with this as it is our 'culture' and our laws.

I want to move back to Lakeside soon, but am having doubts about getting decent health care without having to pay strictly out of pocket.

How is it possible for someone to move from another country and receive free medical from the new country never having contributed meaningfully to that country's economy? It seems to me we foreigners can only hope to cover ourselves from catastrophic illness by having IMSS or a private policy. Depending on the country from which you come would you not be netter off staying in it to benefit from the health care offered?

In answer to the last sentence: there is much more to life than health care issues, certainly more than enough to make staying put for it, alone, a poor proposition.

Most of us didn't come here to get free or low cost health care. I know it was the last thing on my particular mind. Back in the states under Medicare and an HMO, plus co pays, my husband and I were much more out of pocket than we've been in Mexico.

We foreigners can't help but contribute to the local economy since this is where we spend our income, and for those who buy property, we contribute a chunk of our assets. Some of us pay out of pocket for our health needs in addition to buying catastrophic coverage. Seems fair to me. Also, it leaves more money for others in the Medicare kitty, for those who do stay put. Downright altruistic, eh? :unsure:

Plano Seguro is a Mexican based plan which has two advantages over U.S.A. based plans. Firstly, the premium increases are regulated by the government and are limited to the rate of medical inflation (inflation in the medical industry as calculated by the government). Secondly, again by regulation, you only pay the deductible per injury or illness, not like the U.S. based private plans where you have to pay a deductible every 12 months. I have heard from Mexican doctors that the fault of Mexico based plans is that they stick very close to the agreements, there is no room for negotiation. So make yourself very sure of what you are agreeing to.

I don't know what it is, but a lot of people seem to live longer and "better" down here, and in Mexico in general. Six of my close neighbors are in their 90's, 3 of them still drive. They recently did a large study in Europe asking people in their sixties how old they expected to live. That was 25 years ago and when they reasked the question recently, a large majority was greatly surprised that they had lived into their 80's.

As a sidenote - Canada used to have a popular retirement visa. There was a financial obligation to meet, and the retirees had to agree to arrange medical private insurance. Well a great many did not, and made use of the "free" medical system. In 1996 Canada eliminated the retirement visa. Now they have eliminated the "wealth" and "business creation" visa, the found the wealthy wanted to buy a big house, put their kids in school, buy cars, etc - but it was not worth the trouble because many of the heads of family headed back to their home country to their businesses and contacts, paying no tax to Canada to pay for their family's education, healthcare, safety and security.

Thanks, RVGringo. I, too, like QualityCare and their doctors. I may not have moved back NOB had I found them earlier, and I will certainly use them again when I return, God willing. Do you know if SP will keep you insured after 75? I know one cannot enroll after that age, but am wondering if one is already enrolled, will they kick one off?

Thanks again for taking time to post.

Google Translation:

"SEGURO POPULAR REQUIREMENTS AND HOW TO PROCESS AN ENROLLMENT IN THE SEGURO POPULAR:

The requirements for the Seguro Popular that must be met in order to join the Seguro Popular insurance are:

Reside in the country.

Not be an entitled person of any institution providing social medical plans such as ISSSTE or IMSS among others.

Cover the family fee when applicable.

What matters is not how much it costs for the Seguro Popular but the documents needed to join the Seguro Popular are:

Proof of address of no more than two months old

Birth certificate or CURP of each family member

Official photo identification of the person that is the head of the family

If the person concerned is a student of 18-25 years of age, you must provide proof of studies.

To process in the Seguro Popular for pregnant women, they should provide proof of diagnosis of pregnancy.

Some people who want to join Seguro Popular are already part of another program to fight extreme poverty, if that were the case must present the folio number of the beneficiary.

If anyone interested in joining does not present all the full documentation or does not meet the requirements, you can join temporarily for 90 days, so you have the time to submit the missing documentation, and if the documentation the application is not complete It will not be treated the way you deserve.

If you are a person who is interested in joining the Seguro Popular and meet the above requirements it is best that you go to different modules of affiliation that exist.."

http://www.seguropopular.org/

I think anyone can join the Seguro Popular. There is no age limit to join. They do have different rules for treating people beyond certain ages for certain medical problems people younger would not have. Example; you might not get a broken hip operated on in your late 80s or 90s.

Archived