RVGRINGO

United States Consulate General
Guadalajara, Mexico
PLEASE CIRCULATE THIS ANNOUNCEMENT TO
AS MANY AMERICAN CITIZENS AS POSSIBLE

Message for U.S. Citizens:
August 5th Visit to Lake Chapala/Ajijic
July 23, 2015

We have been informed by CI Bank in Ajijic that they are able to issue U.S. dollar checks again and look forward to resuming regular services on our next visit on August 5th.

For those who wish to come to the Consulate for notarial services, please note that as of July 1st, we have moved to an appointment system. Please see our website for complete details.

Can you translate consulate English? What is the CI bank. What is the purpose of issuing US dollar checks?

Carol

If you want to renew a passport, you needed a US dollar check and CI Bank was the only place around that could do it.

CI Bank is located in the shopping center across the road from Wal-Mart up next to Wings

The U.S. Consulate does not accept cash or credit cards when they visit lakeside

monthly for U.S. passport renewal, Only U.S. dollar checks issued by CI Banco which

is in Centro Laguna have been acceptable (only bank which issues U.S. $ checks).

Recently CI Banco advised that they were no longer able to issue these checks

causing great difficulty for local passport renewal.

Midday today the Consulate advised that CI Banco is once again issuing US $ checks

so the U.S. Consulate will be at LCS (and American Legion in Chapala previously)

on Wednesday, August 5th.

This is great news as people now can renew passports locally and get notary services without having to go to Guadalajara.

I guess my confusions comes with the wording 'only US checks from CI bank'... I have a U.S. Bank account and used my check from that account to pay for my passport. I did the process in Guad at the embassy. So I never ran into any problem. Glad this helps others.

Carol

Carol,

The consulate will accept your check, cash or credit card in Guadalajara, but not in Chapala/Ajijic. They do not permit the folks who come to Lakeside to carry money, credit card data, or even personal checks, back to Guadalajara. Timid, aren‘t they?

So, if you want service at the American Legion or LCS, you will have to get a cashier‘s check in US dollars from CI Banco. Tell them what it is for and they know how to prepare it for the consulate. You may buy the check with pesos.

Today I turned in 2 passport renewals at the consulate for people who wanted to get theirs in faster, cost at consulate is up to $1,760 pesos as of this week for adult renewal, Fedex return is 144 pesos to the Ajijic area. That works out to a 16 to 1 exchange rate at the consulate, seems to rise weekly to keep up with weak peso if you pay in pesos.

Interesting. I had a great experience at the embassy in Guad. My passport was overdue, so I figured I had to go there. A friend drove me and it went very well. But I'm glad to know what I'd have to do if I stayed lakeside.

Carol

That would offer you personal checks, but for the Passport renewal at Lakeside, you will need a cashier check from CI Banco for the consular officer that comes to visit.

Archived