Chapala.com Webboard

Big haps on the little pier

Travis

there is a sewer trunk line that runs west to east along the malecon street. the village lines run north to south and connect in to this which then goes to the treatment plant in lower La Floresta. Those towers are vents for the main line.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Indeed the GDL Reporter has a very detailed story on what is going on at the Ajijic Pier.

A group of pretty solid local investors is redoing it and plans to open an "upscale" restaurant and bar there, whatever upscale means.

It sounds very interesting so long as the remodeling doesn't ruin that panoramic view of the lake. It is hard to tell from the artist's rendition whether or not the place will retain that open air feeling.

I have mixed feelings about this as I thought the funky decor of the TR was very cool and "beachy." But at least it will no longer be a vacant derelict and in addition the project's sponsors will do some nice rehabbing on the pier itself.

My personal opinion is that I prefer a pier with an inviting restaurant/bar on it to a vacant block of concrete. Since the building doesn't sit on the pier but next to it, the pier is still fully accessible and usable to the public.

In any case, the Reporter article details the ownership rights question fully and it doesn't look good for those who would like to see the place torn down and removed.

I've always thought that the TR could be a real winner if run right. Let's hope the new place succeeds and isn't so "upscale" that it completely loses the spirit of the old TR and prices itself out of the market.

Nice work of reporting, Dale!

Ajijic is quickly becoming an upscale community as opposed to the lazy retirement fishing village it once was. With immigration increasing income required to become Residente, the retired Social Security set is fading out as the most common new residents. The increasing trend of younger NOB families with children who can work over the Internet and earn NOB wages while living in Mexico and the also increasing number of working middle class or above home buyers from GDL with their families are huge contributing factors to these changes and these folks will frequent higher end places that are springing up here.

Us old folks may not be thrilled with the changes, as some of us just don't like change at all, but the local government and the local residents must be happy as can be as new opportunies open up for them and bring more money into our area.

You guys are WAY off topic.

Any comment from those who know some of the backers of this project as to what we can expect?

I have a hard time seeing "upscale" in that location without a reconstruction of the building, which is now just basically an open air shed.

Come on Harry, you know there's plenty of ways to define "permanent."

:)

Rereading the Reporter article again it appears that all the investors are from GDL and it is to be run by an existing "upscale" chain from GDL.

That certainly reinforces what Al Berca wrote above. And it seems to mirror what has happened to the lakeside restaurant row in San Juan Cosala.

And finally, it just reinforces what we have been seeing more and more--Lakeside has become an extension of the GDL metro area.

How "permanent" is permanent? Let's see: four walls, a roof, a floor and some big signs up front with the intent of having an "upscale" restaurant sounds pretty permanent to me. Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't think so. What I do think is that the new owner knows the right people and the proper process.

Well, a nicer restaurant would be an improvement over the present derelict. Personally, I'd prefer a view of the lake and an empty pier, but I don't have a vote...........so let's just hope the food's all right and the beer is cold.

That's Piedra Barranada, not SJC.

Of course you're right but I've never seen that area called anything in the vernacular other than the waterfront restaurants of SJC.

Yes Gringal, "permanent" does seem to have an interesting interpretation in this case, doesn't it?

This guy says he has a 99 year lease on the property, for all intents and purposes that probably is permanent. I doubt any of us will be around when it comes up for renewal.

What I can't quite determine is whether the "new" owner is actually the previous one who is just taking a different tact here and bringing in some investors to help with it.

One of the problems with the old TR is that it got pretty chilly in there when the wind blows in winter. If they want to run a real restaurant on this site, seems to me that will have to be dealt with.

Sheet rock for an exterior second story application. I hope not, that will be a mess. Could it have been concrete board, or whatever they call ithere. That you should line showers with..but rarely do.

Anyone who was born and has lived or operated a business in SJC, like some of my family do, would ever refer to the restaurant row along the lake BEFORE SJC, as SJC. It is unequivocally, Piedra Barrenada.

Of course it is Piedra Barranada. It has nothing to do with San Juan Cosala. Anyone who things otherwise is a bit lost.

Back to the OP. Almost anything they do on the pier will be an improvement.

If the artist's rendition in the Reporter is what they intend to have....well, that is just butt UGLY!!!!

Why not something with a little more character? That image could indicate a place anywhere in the world- seems to me that a point of difference would draw more attention and the kitchen service would still be something that would draw the patrons.

Of course it is Piedra Barranada. It has nothing to do with San Juan Cosala. Anyone who things otherwise is a bit lost.

Just for fun I polled our breakfast group on how many knew those restaurants are in Piedra Barranada. One did, a Spanish teacher. Seven others, including people who have lived here for years and the Spanish teacher as well, said they just refer to them as the seafood restaurants out by San Juan Cosala when describing the location to others.

Lot of lost people here or maybe we just cling together in self defense. :)

Getting back on topic, hoping that several are now satisfied with feeling superior to the lost ones, the consensus around the table was that if this is anything like the artist's rendition this is going to be one ugly, out of place box.

All of us are disappointed. That facade looks like American strip mall revival. Ugh!

Archived