Chapala.com Webboard

4 New Tires-2 Blow Outs in 4 Months

ctsrle

I recently purchased 4 new tires from a well known Chapala tire dealer. 2 have blown and the dealer will take no responsibility. He will not honor the warranty, replace the tires, or give a credit. On inspection these tires were found to have no manufacture's date. These are reject tires that do not meet quality standards. Unfortunately, dealers are allowed to buy these tires and sell them to unsuspecting consumers. These tires are sold by the dealer at the regular price. You are not informed that you are buying 'seconds/rejects'. I have tried to talk with this dealer in the hope that he would 'Do the right thing'. One blow out occurred as we were exciting the highway. The other was in Ajijic and not quite as dangerous. I was told the first blow out would go to Guadalajara for inspection. On my return the dealer had not gone to Guadalajara and the tire was no where to be found. I kept returning and was given numerous excuses why nothing could be done. The final excuse was the 'Boss' was in the states and the 'Son' could not make any decisions while the Boss was gone. I kept going back and the Boss never returned. So, 2 blow outs later, with a donut and my old spare, my car is sitting in the driveway, unsafe to drive. I add, the Son was going to put the donut on the right front and told me it was no problem! I refused to let him do this and had him put one of the 2 remaining 'new' tires in front and the donut in the rear.

On a curious note: When purchasing the tires my faulty Spanish and mostly English was not a problem. Now that I have this problem, I was told to bring an interrupter. The Son cannot understand what I am saying.

So, Buyer Beware!

How to inspect your tires:

Look for the DOT number.

There are 10-12 characters

This series of numbers tells you where and by whom the tire was made,

size, year and week (of that year) the tire was made.

File a complaint with PROFECO, they can fine them and / or close them down.

Because not all tires are intended to be imported and sold in the United States, many tires are developed and produced without being tested by their manufacturer to confirm they meet all U.S. Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards (FMVSS). Without conducting the tests and certifying these tires meet U.S. requirements, these tires are not allowed to be branded "DOT" (shown below) and cannot be legally driven in the United States.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=172

Next time buy tires at Costco.

Yup and don't let them get more than 4 years old or worn much beyond half way. Mexican roads are murderous on tires. Consider it a cost of doing business to not get all the safe wear from them you would in the U.S.

I don't run my tires here more than 4 years or half their rated life.

Mainecoon's experiences are similar to ours: 3 tires with more than half their tread, different brands on 2 different vehicles, all purchased in the USA, failed due to the tread separating from the core of the tire at about 6 years of Mexican driving.

Mainecoon's experiences are similar to ours: 3 tires with more than half their tread, different brands on 2 different vehicles, all purchased in the USA, failed due to the tread separating from the core of the tire at about 6 years of Mexican driving.

I had a set of Goodyears doing this, they lasted to NOB and about $30K miles where I replaced them at Costco with Bridgestones. I'm watching these closely to see how well they hold up.

This place is hell on tires, may as well get used to ti.

It is a hard task... Off Road vs. On Road... to choose the right tires... for everyday in Ajijic, I will go for Off Roard... the problem is that a Offroad is dangerous for medium to high speeds... so two cars will be the solution... but then, Is that reasonable? The only true thing is that tire preassure (measured cold) is vital for them!!!

Whilst we complain about the cobblestones and pot holes etc, if the tire is a "second" or "reject" to start with, then it will fail early.

I have had a couple , their was a thump thump whilst driving, got out looking for a nail etc., and found the side wall ballooning.

Actually the best option is to have 3 vehicles. 1 moto and a truck and a car. I have a Jetta for road trips and a Chevy Tahoe as the potholes and flooding is really insane in Guadalajara and there are huge hidden potholes where they are a danger to driver safety.

On another note for all you readers out there. The OP should file a complaint with PROFECO demanding that the tire place respects the guarantee and also they can claim a penalty of up to 30%.

Also for those of you who get flat tires due to potholes you can file a claim for reimbursement with the municipality if it happened in and around Chapala / Ajijic or with the municipality of Guadalajara / Zapopan if it happened there. It is in the Ley de Responsabilidad Patrimonial del Estado de Jalisco.

About two and one half years ago, a British Journalist interviewed "La Tuta:" in Michoacán. One of the things that they discussed is that that cartel was trading iron-ore for goods smuggled into Mexico from China, including cheap tires. These were container ships full of items, bypassing inspection. I always wondered who was ending up with these imports, including toys, tires and bootlegged American beauty and household products.... bypassing any and all regulations in regards to safety.... I think I will go to Costco for my next tires, too.

Love my Quad-Moto takes the cobbles and pot holes just fine. If I need to go too far to ride I take the bus, and let someone else buy the tires. ^_^

UPDATE:

The dealer is still giving me excuses. There will be no refund or replacement. I had 2 male friends talk to him. I have learned to late that if a woman wants to buy something here, she needs to send a man.

Anyway, I have gone to Costco and purchased tires. For $200 pesos more than I paid the Chapala dealer, I have great, heavy duty, tires and a 5 year guarantee. The tires were also balanced and aligned. The Chapala Dealer did not balance or align the tires I purchased from him. Nor, did he put in the proper pressure which is what we think probably made the tires blow. The tires required 35 psi and he put in 29 psi! Stop shaking your heads. I go to mechanics to have my car maintained. I do not repair or care to know more than where the key goes. Unfortunately, you cannot be so casual here. Especially if you are a woman.

Buyer Beware.......DO NOT buy tires in CHAPALA. Go To Costco!

UPDATE: ..I have great, heavy duty, tires and a 5 year guarantee.

You may be over valuing the word guarantee. Tire companies exclude bow outs due to "Road Hazzard". The streets lakeside are riff with hazards. I lost a very new Michelin truck tire that blew out in San Antonio Tlayacapan last June. Took it to the dealer in Chapala to be told it was a blow out by a road hazzard, no guarantee. I lugged the tire back to Texas and got the same story with the comment that I did not elect and pay for a road hazard warranty.

Archived