Chapala.com Webboard

Bone Density Test

There is a truck with the bone density machine that does screenings and it usually parks around Farmacia Guadalajara. It's not expensive and the results are computer generated. It gave the same conclusion as the bone density test I had done in Houston, Tx. Just watch around Farmacia Guadalajara for the truck. They will print out the results in just a few minutes after the scan.

If the test results aren't happy, be sure to read the cautionary articles regarding drugs prescribed for osteopenia and osteoparosis per Senor Google.

Some of them do more harm than good, especially if taken over a long period of time. A good one is on the PBS site.

Had one done at that truck in January. Borderline osteopenia/osteoporosis. Yesterday at IMSS, Rheumatologist advised me to have another one two years from the 1st --- and NOT sooner --- since there is a lot of radiation involved.

And in case you're wondering, he told me IMSS does not provide these tests to patients.

Interesting chart comparing radiation used in various studies and scans. Bone density (DEXA) scan exposure equivalent to 3 hours of natural background radiation. Chest x-ray equivalent to 10 days.

http://www.radiologyinfo.org/en/safety/index.cfm?pg=sfty_xray

Please do not rely on results from the truck in front of the farmica in Ajijic. I had a mammogram there, knowing there was a large lump but they said they said there was nothing, Kept getting sicker and sicker to the point to where I had to return to California for insurance reasons. Results were Stage II breast cancer. I have said this before ladies, listen to your bodies. If YOU think something is wrong, persue it

There is a lady who takes a van load of women to Puerto de Hierro's excellent facilities to get mammograms or sonograms periodically, along with bone density tests.

She collects her costs for transportation from the riders and she makes the arrangements with a person at the hospital. Since she posts on here periodically, maybe she'll provide the information for anyone interested.

Since it's your health, ladies, it's not worth going cheap. Go to a good facility for something this important.

Please do not rely on results from the truck in front of the farmica in Ajijic. I had a mammogram there, knowing there was a large lump but they said they said there was nothing, Kept getting sicker and sicker to the point to where I had to return to California for insurance reasons. Results were Stage II breast cancer. I have said this before ladies, listen to your bodies. If YOU think something is wrong, persue it

Jeanne, so sorry to hear of your bad experience, and NOT meaning this in any mean or critical way. But when they said you had a lump, did it not occur to you to immediately investigate further with your own doctor? After all, they are only technicians (as far as I could tell) in that unit.

GOOD LUCK with your treatment. And I hope anyone else who has had anyting other than "perfect" results will also see their own doctor ASAP.

They are two different processes. The mammogram relies on a radiologist to read and interpret the data. The bone density test is computerized and the machine produces the report and results. It's the same machine they use in the expensive clinics in Guadalajara.

I would not get a mammogram done by the truck but bone density - yes.

Thanks to everyone who responded. A little further research on this topic says that the portable equipment testing is for smaller bones, eg. hands and feet, maybe forearms. Bone density can vary in different parts of the body. Given this, OK testing of smaller bones will not necessarily confirm the condition of the bigger bones, specifically the necks of the femur bones and the lumbar vertebrae.

My wife´s previous bone scan shows a deteriorating of one of her femurs, so, it´s back to Guadalajara for her for a follow up.

Last week I had a bone density scan (DEXA scan) for the second consecutive year at the Salud Digna location on Avenida de las Americas, just north of the intersection with Avenida Mexico. It scans the lumbar vertebrae and the femur. Previously in the U.S., I had this same scan in a mobile unit - it was the same type of equipment as here at Salud Digna, scanning the spine and the femur. So a scan in a MOBILE unit does NOT necessarily mean that the equipment they use for the scan is portable and only scans small bones.

I had this scan at Salud Digna in combination with a digital mammogram and the combined cost for both was 340 pesos!!! My appointment was for 10:00 and I was finished with both by 10:25. For 330 pesos they offer a paquete de mujer which includes a mammogram, the bone density scan, and a Pap smear. I believe the DEXA scan by itself is140 pesos and the mammogram is 180 pesos.

Archived