Chapala.com Webboard

Mr. Bull's Meat Market

Carnivore

Simple questions: Is there a level of governance in Mexico that's responsible for supervision of meat vendors such as Mr. Bull? Do we actually know, with confidence, where the meat comes from? Is the beef from live stock? Could it be from "dead stock"? Is the meat treated with chemicals or other substances to tenderize what would otherwise be inedible?

We've recently been exposed to the meat from Mr. Bull in the form of previously frozen steaks. Strange color; strange flavor; odd texture; funny odor and very upset stomachs for days after eating.

Back in the 1960's, for a few years it became a common practice to inject beef with a product derived from the papaya. Definitely tenderized the meat but did such a great job that butchers had to ensure that they only presented "boneless" steaks and roasts as the "papaya product" turned the bone completely black and unsightly! Did such a great job tenderizing though that if left a little too long you didn't even have to chew the meat.

Didn't last long on the market!

There are lots of places to buy good meat in Mexico and here at Lakeside but Mr. Bull definitely has me curious?

Guest bennie2

went in there once, i dont get a good feeling. is sonora open? its in floresta next to joannas resturant. he has really good steaks. jose will tell you which cuts do not have chemicals. (when he is there which is not always).

La Floresta.....He's never there because the store is never there....it's closed. Many complaints from people who bought a few times and then didn't return, much the same as the meat market that started out in Plaza Interlago and then moved next to the doughnut shop.

Save yourself some grief and buy meat at Costco, almost always, if not always, good.

The level of governance is primarily at the slaughter houses. For resale to the public the sides of beef must be inspected and stamped. This is the green ink stamp in Jalisco. The carnecerias purchase the fresh sides and store them in their meat lockers at least two or three days before starting to carve them up.The practice in the north is to age at least 14 days but most processors pack the meat in cryovac bags, but not in Mexico. The cryovac is what is called "wet aged", after 14 days the beef is a lot more tender, but flavor is not enhanced. To get flavor and tenderness the beef has to be "dry aged" using special vacuum bags in the refrigerator. We have had good success at 31 days, but recommend 45 days because the beef we are buying is only aged 2 or 3 days compared to the wet aged cryovac. This type of beef, local to Chapala, is young, very lean, no growth hormones etc. It is also tough as shoe leather at 2 or 3 days old.

I went to a wedding in Oaxaca and had fresh beef..They killed the cow as we were having breakfast , then killed the calf that was about to be born and boiled the blood and served little cubes of cooked blood

for breakfast.. They built a little shed with mosquito net and the meat hung there for 3 days. We had

the beef in a barbacoa and it was tough as nail..no question about that..The cow had been grazing until she was killed so it was free range..Thank God he wedding last a week down there so the meat can hang

several days

but it was some experience....flies everywhere, dogs going after ofals and so on..you had to be there to appreciate what it takes to have meat. They also killed 30 turkies and 100 chickens..it was a biblical

feast and I almost became vegearian.

Chicken , turkeys and beef were all very tough but tasty.

In a feat of brilliant town planning, the Chapala Municipal Slaughterhouse is located directly across from the Soriana grocery store. This is where local ranchers get their meat professionally slaughtered and stamped for resale. Some of the local trucks pull out of there with portions of beef and pork hanging off the outsides of their stake trucks. No covering or refrigeration what so ever. They go around the neighborhoods, slicing off portions as per demand. I'm not thoroughly knowledgeable about the lower income families, but it would seem to be cheaper to have something on a slow simmer than to refrigerate, and this boiling pot builds up rich flavors over the week. This seems to be common all over the world - and also the source of some of the finest tasting dishes.

The Sonora store was selling Angus beef from Northern Mexico, it was wet aged but very lean. I bought a nice "Filete" of beef at the carniceria beside the slaughterhouse, I am making Bresiola with it - dry aged salt beef from Northern Italy. The meat market(s) at the Chapala Public market apparently sell a good cut of Angus beef.

You want gross? I was in the market the other day and saw a shocking sight - Chihuahua cheese! That is just plain despicable. I just can't imagine all those Chihuahuas, poor little beggars hooked up to the milking machines with their big said eyes.

Wow, interesting comments. I like Mr. bull beef. At least the tenderloin. They put bacon around it and shrink wrap for me. Tastes great on/after the barbie. Previously I enjoyed the meat from the butcher at la huerta plaza. But, having them frequently not open, always out of meat, not much fresh and having had a frozen steak that, when thawed, proved definitely rotten -- no more. They did have an awesome vacio but it was that that was rotten and put me off. I think the taste is in the feed and from well marbled beef stock.

It would actually be great to know what people who have purchased meat; specifically beef, at Mr. Bull's in Ajijic think of the product. Would they buy it again? With little doubt the world over you "get exactly what you pay for"!

We've purchased beef from Soriana. They have two different grades of beef priced accordingly. The more expensive grade has always been very good.

We've purchased an abundance of beef over the years at Tony's in San Antonio and have never been disappointed.

We've purchased beef, specifically tenderloin, at the local butcher by the fountain across from the church in Ajijic and after about a week of uncovered "dry aging" in our refrigerator it's always been "excellent" but "not the best we've ever eaten".

We purchase the majority of our beef from Costco and are never disappointed and yes....it's the most expensive of all.....but worth it as we never have to gamble on the quality of what we might be serving our guests!

Our only experience (read the first post) with the beef (steaks) we were served that came from Mr. Bull's in Ajijic, simply left us wondering what exactly it was that we ate? It definitely didn't even closely resemble the beef from Soriana, Tony's, By the Fountain or Costco's!

If you are really serious about buying top quality meats, there is a series of stores throughout Mexico who sell the best, mostly catering to restaurants. There is a big store in Guadalajara, but I don't know how it works - it is subject to a minimum purchase, or something like that. A retired Mexican Butcher recommends this store.

It is called Comnor:

http://www.comnor.com.mx/productos.htm

As far as getting what you pay for, the best local rate for prime rib beef is roughly 120 pesos per kilo, roughly $5 U.S. per lb. Aged 45 days, bone in Rib Eye (sometime called a "tomahawk" steak) sells for $45 US per lb but contains at least 10% more fat, and how that fat was created is the subject of much debate.

Only bought two things at Mr. Beef (mostly because it can be difficult to park): one was a kilo of bacon. The best I've bought here, ever, as it tasted like it had more smoke than everyone else's. (It still falls far, far short of bacon from home, but that's life.) The other item was frozen deep-fried chicken: looked just like Soriana's, but cost half the price.

I have just about given up buying beef here...it's mostly hit or miss (mostly miss). The best meat here by far is pork and i understand that it is healthier. I like the thin cutlets at Walmart, you can get a package of 4 for 30 to 40 pesos depending on thickness (1/4" to 1/2"). I usually broil 2 in my toaster oven and with 3 sunny side fried eggs make a great brunch. Also on Saturday or Sunday I go to the ceneduria across Mario's Restaurant in my town of San Antonio and get a large order of pozole to go with all the fixings for 45 pesos. This is 2 full meals for me.

Guest bennie2

sonora sold me the best meat. they have a chain in guadalajara. the last time was about 6months ago. he would bring it to my house. he sold me meat w/no chemicals or softeners. NY steak/filet mignon. the market next to donas only had meat which was pre packaged. one bite & it tasted of chemicals. his prices were also very high. tonys looks dirty, & im not sure of mr. bulls. guess i wont be eating beef. btw, they kill in chapala on fridays & tuesdays, sornora would sell me the meat saturday&wendsay.

sonora sold me the best meat. they have a chain in guadalajara. the last time was about 6months ago. he would bring it to my house. he sold me meat w/no chemicals or softeners. NY steak/filet mignon. the market next to donas only had meat which was pre packaged. one bite & it tasted of chemicals. his prices were also very high. tonys looks dirty, & im not sure of mr. bulls. guess i wont be eating beef. btw, they kill in chapala on fridays & tuesdays, sornora would sell me the meat saturday&wendsay.

Bennie, the easiest way to get good quality meats around here is to order it from Costco through one of the delivery services. It may not be the best on planet Earth, but it's better than that offered by most of the local purveyors. Alternatively, pity the poor critters and go vegan. :unsure:

Well, I hear all of you about Costco but the prices are rather high. On the other hand, we just finished a fantastic dinner of sirloin pot roast, roasted potatoes, carrots, onions and gravy! This roast came from Tony's (and I don't find Tony's dirty at all) ... I was told it was sirloin and as I had never cooked a sirloin roast before was a little nervous. However, it was falling apart tender and very flavorful ... we are talking $120 pesos per kilo! and, with a roast that good I won't be purchasing one at Costco especially since the last 3 times we have been there they have not had any.

As to Mr. Bull's ... the last that we purchased, I took it out to cook for guests and it was rotten ... it stunk! Had to quickly change my plans. No more Mr. Bull for me.

Guest bennie2

luke, thankyou for the info about mr bull. when i have a bad feeling, i am generally correct. any company which goes around in a truck w/blasting loud speakers is something to avoid. (like the dentist). gringal, i wanted to use that lakeside express service several times. they dont filet the meat. you have to buy a kilo or more & cut it yourself. same w/the fish. that was the deal breaker. if im paying a high fee for products i need those services. if sonora is still in guad, i plan on calling them to see if they are re opening here. one does not have to be "vegan" to avoid beef.

luke, thankyou for the info about mr bull. when i have a bad feeling, i am generally correct. any company which goes around in a truck w/blasting loud speakers is something to avoid. (like the dentist). gringal, i wanted to use that lakeside express service several times. they dont filet the meat. you have to buy a kilo or more & cut it yourself. same w/the fish. that was the deal breaker. if im paying a high fee for products i need those services. if sonora is still in guad, i plan on calling them to see if they are re opening here. one does not have to be "vegan" to avoid beef.

Bennie, those delivery services don't offer to do anything to the things they buy: they take it as it comes from Costco and bring it to your door for a lower fee than you could do the drive for yourself. What's the problem?

i wanted to use that lakeside express service several times. they dont filet the meat. you have to buy a kilo or more & cut it yourself. same w/the fish. that was the deal breaker. if im paying a high fee for products i need those services. if sonora is still in guad, i plan on calling them to see if they are re opening here. one does not have to be "vegan" to avoid beef.

Costco will cut beef any way you want it and there's no minimum purchase required. The benefit of beef from Costco is that it's USDA Grada A Choice. Yes, it costs more than Mexican beef but IMHO it's worth it, especially since we eat steak only about once per month.

Guest bennie2

gringal i dont drive, end if case. even w/a ride i wouldnt walk thru parking lot, & a mega store. i also dont cut meat fish chicken. i find that gross, & already have those services here. (well, i did have my meat fileted, fat removed, when i had a butcher). can live w/out beef. maybe someday i will return to tango. elsaltos, gringal was talking about the lakeside express which shops for you & delivers to the house. there is a fee, it was 15 pesos or more per item. i was going to do it once as an experiment.

Guest bennie2

come over cut my meat in 1/4 kilos, filet, remove fat. bring disposable cutting boards. so much work, think ill just boil an egg. thanks anyway.

Archived