Chapala.com Webboard

Need to find homes for 3 cats

We will be moving to a rental that does not accept cats. We are taking 2 dogs with us.

I have a yellow male tabby named Joey that is neutered and very affectionate- about 5 years old.

I have a gray long haired female named Amanda that is spayed and also affectionate and about 5 years old.

I have a black/brown tabby female named Kelly also spayed that is about 2 years old.

All the cats are outdoor/indoor that do not use litter boxes. They do their job outside.

Please let me know if you would like to see them!

Mary Ann Waite

Well, tried to restrain my self.... but can no more.

Wanting / needing to move I understand -- happens for all kinds of reasons. BUt if you made sure to find a place where your DOGS could go, why on earth would you even consider a place where you cannot also take your CATS?

Aren't they part of your family too? Just askin'...............

Well, tried to restrain my self.... but can no more.

Wanting / needing to move I understand -- happens for all kinds of reasons. BUt if you made sure to find a place where your DOGS could go, why on earth would you even consider a place where you cannot also take your CATS?

Aren't they part of your family too? Just askin'...............

The landlord will allow dogs but not cats. It is hard to find a long term rental that fits all our needs. If we were buying another house we would take the cats of course!

I searched for a place to rent for five long months. One of my criteria was a place that would take my small dog and two cats. I couldn't imagine being ok with a place that would take my small dog but not our cats. It's probably harder to find someone decent to take in your cats than it is to keep looking for a place that accepts all your (beloved?) pets.

Lexy

I'm curious as to what you plan to do if you can't find anyone to take these cats. Leave them at one of our overloaded shelters where they are in a small cage alone and suddenly unloved?

Max was an abandoned cat and it has taken years for him to get over it. What they say at the site below is correct in our experience. On top of that, you would be separating them from their housemates, both dog and cat, adding even more trauma to the situation.

Is any rental really worth inflicting this on these innocent pets who have placed their trust in you?

Read this and please reconsider your decision:

http://www.wayofcats.com/blog/abandonment-issues/4644

There are many reasons why someone might find it necessary to give up a pet. Hopefully, the OP has some other options for finding homes for her cats. So far, the respondents have only been shaming her, trying tp make her change her mind.

I wish you luck in finding new homes for them. Maybe put up a note at LCS, or in one of the many Lakeside Facebook groups.

It is curious to me why a landlord would object to cats but not to dogs.

I have been looking for apartments NoB in anticipation of wanting to spend more time NoB. Since i last looked two years ago there is now a marked increase in a ban on cats. When I asked one major rental agent the reason it was because the locality had passed a city law that required properties to establish themselves as "cat free" because there had been a lawsuit against a landlord regarding his having changed a no pet policy to one which allowed cats and several renters in the building were made ill by the cats because they had allergies. Very Big Brother. Although with tile and hard surfaces here versus fully carpeted properties NoB its difficult for me to see the presence of a cat as being a problem for the next tenant in a house.

The reason was clearly stated as a requirement of a rental, Travelercat.

I too am curious as to what sort of landlord would allow dogs but not cats. Having a great deal of experience as a landlord myself NOB I found that dogs were more likely to disturb neighbors, leave messes and damage property.

Talk with shelter volunteers for first hand enlightenment as to how pets suddenly taken away from home and companions do suffer from abandonment. Also there are numerous references on the topic on the web.

The shelter folks will also tell you that finding homes for adult cats is difficult, let alone three of them at once.

It is probably very unlikely another home that would take all three would be found. Hence they'll be subjected to both losing companions and losing their home at the same time. If they end up in a shelter, this makes it even worse.

Local shelter volunteers will also tell you that they end up with abandoned pets far too often in this town. I sincerely hope that doesn't happen here. The suggestion made above, since edited, that they be sent on their way humanely before this happens to them is not so far fetched IMO.

All of our cats have been rescue cats. All have had abandonment issues and several never really got over them. It is real and it is traumatic for them.

I wish we could help with them but Max really doesn't play well with others. If we could have multiple cats we would have adopted from local shelters that are overflowing with them already.

Anyway, for the sake of these cats I certainly hope a small miracle happens and they find another home together.

We have 4 cats who belong to my husband and he talks to them and interaaacts al day long. The cats really haven't much use for me although I like them well enough and they do interact with me occasionally. If something happened to the husband I am not sure the cats would be happy with just me becuase they require more from their environment than I am willing to give regularly. I do know that we have had several friends over the past couple of years who as they age find it difficult to navigate with cats being underfoot. There isn't anyway to predict a cat darting from here to there on a whim. One couple did choose to have their two cats put down. I hope MAW can find loving homes with attentive humans and maybe a dog or two since they are used to dogs.

Three mature bomded together cats being abandoned for a new rental? I suggest the OP not take in animals. This is cruel and frivolous. Has anyome seen the number of kittens at the shelter and with Alvaro who takes in homeless animals? The liklihood of them staying together is very low. I have never had trouble finding a rental that accepted cats and dogs.

This was a decision made with the knowledge that three family pets would be given away. I find it disgusting. A true animal lover would never do this.

If I could afford three more rescues I would take them in as I know their chance. Alas, I have a full house of rescued cats. And make no mistake they are rescues. What will the OP do if homes are not found?

We see enough of those consequences daily among animal rescue groups.

I wish these poor felines the best of luck.

Have to agree with you on this one, Quinn. we've rented here for years (duiffent homes) and never had a problem with having dogs and cats. Mostly Mexican landlords, dealing direct. Does that make a difference? Don't know.... bu tI know I would never give up my feline kids!

Maw, if your new rental contract is not cast in stone, could you not try the same route and see what comes up?

Archived