Chapala.com Webboard

Canadian expats lose the right to vote?

Al Berca

Causing quite a stir. This means if you haven't returned for at least one 30-day period. I personally think it's a BS situation. "They" feel that if we are in Mexico, say, for five years, then we have taken on the social and voting situations of the country. Obviously none of them has been posted overseas.

I believe that there are many people who come to Canada just to have a Canadian citizenship then move back to their middle east country and never see Canada again. Only if in trouble they claim that they are Canadians but they have no contribution or other ties to Canada. Sort of like Mexican moms wanting to have babies born in US to be American citizens.

But then the guys in the jail have a right to vote and they do not contribute anything either...so what is the difference I ask?

The difference is we are Canadians being told to shrug off our rights, not foreigners who came in and left. And while I may be here for the long term, I expect I will end up back there someday. I didn't abandon my country, and I'm not abusing my rights as a natural citizen. I think you are talking apples and steaks here.

I am not Canadian. I have never read the Canadian Constitution, but I believe that they are blocking ex-pats from voting in provincial elections. You surely can't lose your voting rights in the federal elections.

Texas condones people that use Texas as an address, but being able to vote in state and local elections are another matter. The people at voters registration want a whole lot more info than a PO BOX and they require proof of residency. Your results may vary.

It was the Ontario Supreme Court, but the decision is on Federal elections. Even Donald Sutherland, the actor with a maple leaf in his drawers, wrote a letter to The Globe: http://news.nationalpost.com/news/canada/im-canadian-expat-donald-sutherland-blasts-inability-to-vote-in-canadian-federal-elections

As the Globe points out, "All Canadian citizens are equal, but if only those living in Canada are allowed to vote, then some are more equal than others." and "the government should be focused on getting more Canadians to participate in elections, not cutting down the pool of eligible voters. It takes a special kind of regime to invest in policies meant to ensure that fewer citizens vote, rather than more."

It was the Ontario Supreme Court, but the decision is on Federal elections. Even Donald Sutherland, the actor with a maple leaf in his drawers, wrote a letter to The Globe: http://news.nationalpost.com/news/canada/im-canadian-expat-donald-sutherland-blasts-inability-to-vote-in-canadian-federal-elections

As the Globe points out, "All Canadian citizens are equal, but if only those living in Canada are allowed to vote, then some are more equal than others." and "the government should be focused on getting more Canadians to participate in elections, not cutting down the pool of eligible voters. It takes a special kind of regime to invest in policies meant to ensure that fewer citizens vote, rather than more."

Maybe a regime that figures it's likely to lose the next election and has statistics to show that non-resident Canadians are likely not to vote Conservative? Just a guess.

Archived