Chapala.com Webboard

RV parking in La Floresta

Using Google Maps to cruise around at street level Lakeside is a great way to window-shop for real estate. One feature of any house I'm interested in is the ability to park a 19 ft./ 6 m motor home on the property for excursions around Mexico. But I notice from the Google imagery that I've seen that no RVs, either parked on the street or even behind private walls.

There are two or more commercial facilities locally for storing such vehicles - that's not the question. Are there laws or regulations that would restrict the full-time parking of such a beast on one's driveway, off the street but in plain view, especially in La Floresta?

Thanks!

I doubt if there are specific laws, and frac laws seem impossible to enforce. There was an old (and ugly!) Winnebago Brave parked on frac property by a renter. She tried to sell it for $10,000 U.S., eventually dropped to $2,500. It was over a year and half before it finally disappeared to somewhere in Chapala (still for sale).

As you may have also noticed, a lot of the homes here are surrounded by walls, or at least fences. Most often, every square foot of space is accounted for. RV travel never really caught in Mexico, and now, even on the West Coast I have noticed that many of the old "snowbird" RV parks are deserted. I am under the impression that many Mexicans are involved with RV camping in the Potosi state - they are young families into river rafting and group camping. Many of the RV parks are as expensive as staying in a hotel or renting a house. Travel by luxury buses, and local taxis is inexpensive and very little stress. If you like to travel with pets, it is a better choice to leave them at home with a pet sitter/ house sitter while you travel.

The RV "docking" lifestyle, mooring your "land yacht", seems restricted to Arizona and southern U.S. states at this time.

I am fairly certain you would be forced to move it and park it elsewhere. A friend and former neighbor had one parked in La Floresta. Between the tickets, the vandalism and the lost fights with the authorities and the fracc., they finally had to move it. I recommend you forget it; it is going to be a problem that you don't want to have.

Definitely not a good idea, and there are few properties with good access due to narrow streets, etc. If you are not using it, store it in an appropriate facility; storage business or RV park like Roca Azul.

Guest bennie2

i used to report to the floresta assoc when someone would park on the street. w/in minutes the RV/trailer was gone. i think in one case it was moved into the driveway.

I'm very sure they won't allow you to park your light aircraft anywhere in La Floresta either.

Maybe east of Chapala at the airport but it is a private club so you would need to make arrangements with that group first. I have heard it is rather expensive.

If you want some RV adventures in Mexico through another persons eyes, there are two good websites (that I can think of right now). I am not sure if anyone is taking these adventures these days. Mores the Pity.

http://www.mexico-with-heart.com/rv-trip-in-mexico/

The other is from Jonna and Mimi - but I can't seem to find the RV travel section to their website - does anyone have a link?

Here is a link to the Chapala Aeroclub. It almost on the Lake. I think the possible problem there (or not) is that it is mostly Spanish speaking pilots. There is no control tower and, believe it or not, no one is allowed to buy or refuel there (government regulations)

http://www.aeroclubchapala.com/

Maybe you have thoroughly checked out 'traveling Mexico by RV', but......

I am an RV'er... in the States.... and I travel to Mexico quite a bit. BUT, I never have brought down an RV. Why? Well, in my opinion the infrastructure is just not there. Sure, there are places where folks drag an RV down for an extended visit... usually all winter and on the coast... but if one is thinking about touring around and seeing the sites in Mexico it just isn't that easy. And, for about the same price one can drive a car around and stay in low-to-moderately priced rentals for about the same or less money.

And in addition to RV-infrastructure situation, there are a couple more hurdles.... most Mexican cities/towns/villages have very narrow streets that make navigating even a 19' rig troublesome. And those same places don't have very good signage to get from one side to the other... it's getting better, but.... and getting lost while driving a car is bothersome enough, but with a big rig it can be dangerous. Another hurdle is safety and vandalism. Us RVers like to leave 'all our stuff' outside while we park and roam. In Mexico, that's a good way to have 'less stuff' pretty quickly. And over-nighting in just an RV out in the boonies, if one can even find a place out in the boonies, may not be the safest plan to have, and is surely light-years away from a similar experience NOB in an RV.

Anyway, just my opinion. But if you are set on doing that, consult the book(s) on RVing in Mexico by Mike and Terri Church.

Maybe you have thoroughly checked out 'traveling Mexico by RV', but......

I am an RV'er... in the States.... and I travel to Mexico quite a bit. BUT, I never have brought down an RV. Why? Well, in my opinion the infrastructure is just not there. Sure, there are places where folks drag an RV down for an extended visit... usually all winter and on the coast... but if one is thinking about touring around and seeing the sites in Mexico it just isn't that easy. And, for about the same price one can drive a car around and stay in low-to-moderately priced rentals for about the same or less money.

And in addition to RV-infrastructure situation, there are a couple more hurdles.... most Mexican cities/towns/villages have very narrow streets that make navigating even a 19' rig troublesome. And those same places don't have very good signage to get from one side to the other... it's getting better, but.... and getting lost while driving a car is bothersome enough, but with a big rig it can be dangerous. Another hurdle is safety and vandalism. Us RVers like to leave 'all our stuff' outside while we park and roam. In Mexico, that's a good way to have 'less stuff' pretty quickly. And over-nighting in just an RV out in the boonies, if one can even find a place out in the boonies, may not be the safest plan to have, and is surely light-years away from a similar experience NOB in an RV.

Anyway, just my opinion. But if you are set on doing that, consult the book(s) on RVing in Mexico by Mike and Terri Church.

We were RVers in the U.S. and seriously considered bringing our rig down. However, we reached the same conclusion Rick did and sold it.

Just not a good country for it IMHO.

You are right about that!! I just drove a 37' RV up to Houston for a couple from Roca Azul and the conditions of the roads are extremely hard on a motorhome. I thought the thing was going to shake apart not to mention a broken windshield from an errant stone. Worst stretches to try and avoid - Siglio XXI in Aguascaliente and the libre section of 85 between the north end of the toll road and Nuevo Laredo.

IMHO - leave the RV's NOB.

Archived