Chapala.com Webboard

Alfredo's California

Yo1

Years ago Alfredo had Alfredo's California in two location in Chapala. His food was good and prices fair. Then he went to the States. Now he's back with a new location between Magana and the pet store in Riberas, across from the car wash. I've had a lunch and a breakfast at his place this week and my comment is "Wow". His menu is extensive for breakfast, lunch and dinner with a special every day. His prices are low with his servings of good size. I had eggs Benedict with bacon and avocado this morning with hash browns for 55 pesos and it was delicious with great Hollandiase and real English muffins. My friend had a huge omelet with toast for 50 pesos. Coffee is 10 pesos--where do you ever see that anymore? His salsa is outstanding; I could eat it with a spoon and forget the chips.

Alfredo really needs to be supported for his good food at great prices or the place will go away. Get your car washed and have a meal all at the same time. How convenient!!

We had omlets there a couple of months ago and they were both raw. Now, I'm good with soft boiled edds and eggs sunny side up, but this was over the top disgusting. We were the only ones there so there was really no excuse for it. Perhaps we caught him on a bad day, but I am never going back.

We had omlets there a couple of months ago and they were both raw. Now, I'm good with soft boiled edds and eggs sunny side up, but this was over the top disgusting. We were the only ones there so there was really no excuse for it. Perhaps we caught him on a bad day, but I am never going back.

Gosh, I hope you let him know so he could correct the problem and give him a chance. I usually give a restaurant twice to serve me a meal I don't like before I give up. But I let them know why I'm not coming back.

We went more than once a week...then he began charging 20p for ice tea and then 20 more pesos for a refill...his cost was probably less than 2 p....his loss....we will NOT go back and yes we did question the cost and his response was that it was a lARGER glass....we think he has every right to charge how ever much he wishes and we have the right to not eat there....

Thank you for the update but it is too late....I have moved our business to another nearby place that did not feel the need to argue with me over an unannounced upcharge....some years ago another restaurant charged for a refill and we questioned it....he held his ground and we never went back...we later heard that after two weeks he too changed hisc stand on refills.....maybe the customer is not always right but we can decide where to put our money.

We too had a bad experience at this restaurant and have not been back. However, we will give it another try as it has been several many months. I will say that if we never went back to a restaurant where we have had a bad experience of one kind or another ... we would now be eating at home all the time! We eat out nearly every day and I am so appreciative of having so many places from which to choose. I love eggs benedict and will give them a try ... One thing I have learned to do is send back bad food right away. With the peso being what it is we are finding several places have raised prices on some things.

Gosh, I hope you let him know so he could correct the problem and give him a chance. I usually give a restaurant twice to serve me a meal I don't like before I give up. But I let them know why I'm not coming back.

We had cut into our omlets but couldn't eat them We finished our coffee and asked for our check. We the waitress came to bring our check and clear the table she never asked why neither of us had eaten our breakfast. Made us think it was far for the course.....

I think the primary reason many restaurants come and go here is that they are not very consistant. Seriously, why go somewhere where I might get a good meal?

Let's all agree that everyone's tastes vary.

It would help if he kept to his posted hours, instead of opening late half the time and closing early almost all the time. All he needs is a little sign on the door, which would show a courtesy to potential clients, instead of just not showing up. Went three times in the course of two weeks and never got in...

• 2 years later...

Resurrecting an old post , I know. But Alfredo's California is now at the Chapala Malecon, a few doors west of the gelato shop. I'd never heard of it before so perhaps it's been there a while.... I'm sure this board will let me know. 

Breakfast for two was excellent today - omelette, breakfast burrito, fresh fruit plates, licuado, coffee. All fresh and well-prepared, beautifully presented, with friendly service. The cost was reasonable at about 200 pesos, including tip. The lunch/dinner menu is extensive - will try it soon. This was a nice find for us and will bring us back to the otherwise dull & rather limited breakfast scene in Chapala. IMHO. 

Alfredos California.jpg

Archived