Chapala.com Webboard

Peso Closes at a New Low Against USD July 17

John Shrall

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Check Yahoo or even xe.com. Both show north of $16.20.

Maybe soon I can justify buying that Weber grill here instead trying to cart one from the US. With my Bancomer puntos earned from my credit card I think I can save another $100 US but even at that it will be more expensive than the States.

There seems to be two threads going here. One of course the peso to usd; and the other, cost of living with a couple of notables suggesting all things better in Texas. I don't want to sound disingenuous but if you're happier in el norte, why are you here? As to the pesos/usd it only suggests a buying opportunity to me.

Not really for an investment but when the peso drops against the dollar the real cost of items purchased in Mexico drops, at least for the short term.

Imports will start costing more but there is going to be some lag time before that starts to happen.

Of course if the peso keeps dropping the currency you have here devalues so there's always that question to consider, how many is too many to hold?

A dropping peso is good for us living here for our immediate purchases but accumulating a lot of pesos now probably isn't a good long term strategy.

We always thought that a drop in the value of the peso was a good time to stock up on pesos and go shopping for staples, have home maintenance done, get the car waxed, buy a few extra bags of dog food, buy another year of Telecable, etc.

A dropping peso is good for us living here for our immediate purchases but accumulating a lot of pesos now probably isn't a good long term strategy.

Well stated, John !

Gee, the nuns at my elementary school in East Detroit Michigan never learned this very Polish boy those big words like inferred and implied. Having had 2 grandkids ages 9 and 10 visiting for the last 2 months I wish they too had the opportunity to learn from the nuns that which some would call the old fashioned way. Now, kids aren't subjected to failure which is very sad. Look up 4 times 3 = 11 to find out what I mean.

This thread has been fun and the peso is going in whatever direction it's going to go so perhaps it's time to shut this one down and concentrate on something more important.

We're happy for those that have moved back to Texas or parts north and those that have decided to stay. There's no wrong answer to the question of where you want to live.

Gee, the nuns at my elementary school in East Detroit Michigan never learned this very Polish boy those big words like inferred and implied. Having had 2 grandkids ages 9 and 10 visiting for the last 2 months I wish they too had the opportunity to learn from the nuns that which some would call the old fashioned way. Now, kids aren't subjected to failure which is very sad. Look up 4 times 3 = 11 to find out what I mean.

This thread has been fun and the peso is going in whatever direction it's going to go so perhaps it's time to shut this one down and concentrate on something more important.

We're happy for those that have moved back to Texas or parts north and those that have decided to stay. There's no wrong answer to the question of where you want to live.

The Daily Caller? Common Core is a state initiative, not federal.

http://hepg.org/hel-home/issues/27_5/helarticle/five-myths-about-the-common-core-state-standards_5

Gee, the nuns at my elementary school in East Detroit Michigan never learned this very Polish boy those big words like inferred and implied. Having had 2 grandkids ages 9 and 10 visiting for the last 2 months I wish they too had the opportunity to learn from the nuns that which some would call the old fashioned way. Now, kids aren't subjected to failure which is very sad. Look up 4 times 3 = 11 to find out what I mean

East Detroit was dissolved years ago, it is Eastpoint now. How long have you been down here? :o

Back on topic, it is a good time to make any major purchases. Debating some home improvements.

East Detroit was incorporated in 1929 and it took the city until 1992 to try to disassociate itself from the blight south of its 8 Mile Road border. I suppose it was an attempt to try and fool people they were more like the affluent Grosse Pointe suburbs further east along Detroit's northern border. Putting lipstick on a pig comes to mind.

Anyone that grew up in Detroit in the 50's and 60's remembers the urgency to get out of the city as it spiraled downward after the '67 riots.

Hopefully the peso will stabilize soon and not continue its current downward trajectory. It won't benefit anyone if the peso follows a currency like the Russian Ruble that has lost half its value against the dollar since last year.

Hopefully the peso will stabilize soon and not continue its current downward trajectory. It won't benefit anyone if the peso follows a currency like the Russian Ruble that has lost half its value against the dollar since last year.

It seems to be a lot about US Dollar strength, (with the Euro at $1.09 and Yen at $1.24) combined with some MXN peso weakness.

The Canadian Loonie has tumbled to $1.304. ...

Reuters is saying: "Canadian crude prices have dropped to $30 a barrel and face further downward pressure as refineries shut for maintenance, cutting demand. "We tend not to see these projects slow down in the oilsands region,"

Canadian crude prices already at $30 face more downward pressure

The combination of rotten Chinese future economic growth (reducing projected demand for oil), and for Iran to add up to 1 more million bbls a day (by 2016) in future projected output, are combining to put serious hurts on oil producing nations like Mexico and Canada.

As NYMEX crude prices fell recently from $60 USD a bbl down to $50 USD a bbl, both the Loonie and Peso have suffered.

This means that NYMEX crude / WTI would likely have to tumble below $35 a bbl (not likely) for the MXN peso to suffer losses like the Ruble.

Archived