Chapala.com Webboard

Amazon July 14 delivery

• 3 weeks later...

Al Berca is correct. Shipper is a crap shoot. I just had an item delivered by UPS in 4 days. Go figure. I'm now waiting for a new coffee grinder from Amazon being shipped by DHL. If it is shipped using I Parcel, you can email them & get a tracking number. It may or may not delivered to the door. One item I purchased was shipped I Parcel & I had to pick it up at the Chapala Post Office. Another I Parcel was delivered by the post office to the door.

I think the only way to guarantee DHL, UPS or other major carrier is to pay for expedited shipping.

I am now going thru my 2nd order issue with DHL for the same items. THey say I need a value manifest, NOM letter broker DH or the shipment will be returned. Again. I have contacted Amazon so we'll see what happens.

DHL messed up the 2nd shipment as well. Stopped at customs, no one would take responsibility, no response to emails. Maybe hope for UPS???

John Everett,

I had an order that was stopped at the border because they didn't know what it was. It was 2 part underwater epoxy. After several emails back & forth, I told them to send it back. They insisted I needed a Hacienda number or some such thing. I contacted Amazon immediately & told them the story. They credited my account before it had been shipped back. Same day, as a matter of fact. I think it was an issue because I guess it would be considered "dangerous goods". But really, who the hell knows? I have had several items shipped by Amazon with no problems. That was the only one.

Amazon seems to be getting it together. Ordered an item, shipped DHL which promptly lost it. Went to Amazon who reshipped it. Last shipment arrived in 4 days, lost shipment showed up a week later. Since then received shipments by DHL and UPS with no problems.

thanks for the replies, it's actually a one pound bag of horseradish powder in a silver vacuum sealed bag, probably caught someone's eye. Kiminmexico, who did you email, the shipper or customs? My package is stopped in Guad, according to package tracking, with DHL being the shipper. Sorry to be a pain, but who would you contact at Amazon? Many TIA

John, click on menu then click on contact us. Real easy. I sent an email and got a response in less than an hour. Amazon is your contact until issue is resolved. Not shipper, not customs, unless one of them contacts you. Relax and calm down. This is not a big deal. Either you get your horse radish powder or it is returned and all your costs refunded.

Are you sure the shipper is not looking for an RFC number? I remember a few years ago I was trying to signup to Merkalink, which is affiliated to Estafeta - the website application for membership would not let you past the RFC number. It turns out there is a "generic" RFC number. I have long forgotten where it is though. The big couriers, like Estafeta, charge $6.50 U.S. to clear Mexican customs. I would imagine that the Amazon distribution center in Mexico City has in house Aduana inspectors, paid for or subsidized by Amazon.

This is what it says on the Amazon page..

• Customs offices in some countries require the importer of record to provide a particular form of identification before releasing a shipment. You may be required to provide an identification number such as a Unique Identification Number, CPF, or Tax ID.
  • Countries that require an identification number include: Brazil, Chile, China, Ecuador, India, Israel, Peru, Qatar, South Africa, South Korea, Taiwan, and Turkey.

It all depends on who is clearing Mexican customs.

I contacted a new bonded customs broker, who could work through Red Pack Mexico (TNT). Red Pack has good pricing for larger, heavier, wrapped pallet shipments like machinery or chemicals. The new broker wanted the HS numbers for the import items. You have to look them up, it is not that hard and luckily if you find them in English, they also apply in Spanish. In working the border imports in Canada, U.S.A. and Mexico it sometimes looks like they are doing everything they can to screwup your day. The big issue, which you have to realize and accept, is that customs officers are not allowed to change a single word or number. They kick the paperwork back to you, the importer or their agent has to make the changes, and then toss everything back into the loop. A throw of the dice!

RFC number is a tax ID by the way. Sounds like both Amazon U.S.A. and Amazon Mexico are having trouble finding a reliable Mexican courier/customs broker, one that is willing to be a little bit casual with the paperwork. Nothing illegal or bribery mind you, just willing to grease the wheels a little bit.

I believe it depends on who is working customs. We ordered a computer on Monday and it was to arrive tomorrow. It arrived via DHL to our door this morning. I was very pleased with the rapid delivery from an Amazon order. We ordered something else (non-electronic) that is to arrive next Wednesday. I'll let you know what happens with that order.

Just wanted to chime in my last two orders from amazon arrived on time, even though the tracking record noted a delay in Guadalajara. The shipper, in both cases, was DHL. Maybe the process is getting better? I shipped sporting goods and small electronics.

Archived