Chapala.com Webboard

Wasp Spray?

kam

We have two wasp nests on the underside of our balcony roof. As my husband is severely allergic to stings, I am anxious to find an effective wasp (avespa) spray but have only found sprays for mosquitoes, flies and cockroaches. I would appreciate suggestions. Thank you.

The main feature of wasp spray is that it sprays up to twenty feet and will drop the wasps quickly. Although it won't spray more than five or six feet, the quickest killing spray I've ever used is carb cleaner or brake cleaner which come with the little plastic tube to accurately aim the spay. If you don't find wasp spray this is an easy to find alternative. They will be dead before they hit the ground. Available at any car parts place.

Those little black wasps are non-aggressive so I never spray them. The big orange wasps are scary and I spray them unless they are nesting away from the doors of the house. Wasps are pollinators like bees so we need them. Unless, of course, you are allergic.

I get many wasp nests. If they are in an out of the way place I leave them. Right now I have a Paper wasp nest that is over two feet long in a Cypress tree. I walk under the tree a few feet below it and they don't bother me so I let them be. But if it in a place where I'm likely to disturb them say by bumping a banana leaf when using the grass trimmer I have to zap them. The little black ones certainly sting me. I bumped a nest once that was in a tree and I got 7 stings-5 of them on my head. Another time one stung me on the eyeball and left the stinger there. If I can get close I use Raid Casa y Jardin which is available at Walmart and many others places. It I can't get close I use one of those long distance aerosol sprays like Spectracide Wasp & Hornet Killer-27 feet. Walmart, Superlake or Jara carry similar sprays from time to time.

Those little black wasps are non-aggressive so I never spray them.

I wish you would have told that to the one that "dived bombed" me and stung me on the lip. Talk about pain !

We have never seen a true wasp/hornet long-distance spray for sale anywhere in Mexico. We just returned NoB for the first time in almost four years and brought home four cans of the 40-foot distance spray. On sale at Lowe´s marked down from 5.99 to 1.88 USD. Wow! Good luck finding the real thing here. I´m afraid you´re not going to succeed. though. We certainly haven´t.

I will support what John Schrall said.

The spray from Jara's (by Telmex) is by Ultra-Kill and it is called "Wasp & Hornet Killer"

I will testify that it does spray 20 feet or close to it.

I keep two cans on hand to take care of the wasps that have nest up on the tops of roofs (under side) and also as

a protection against anyone who might break into my house and attack me.

Wasps and bees go dormant at night. If the nest is somewhere you can reach it, I go out just before dark, carefully lift a large garbage bag up and around the nest and the leaf they are attached to, tie or hold the top tight, then cut the leaf above the bag. If you are too scared or infirm or don't trust yourself to do this, perhaps your handyman or a friendly neighbor could do it for you. If the wasp or bee nest is just there, but they are not actively bothering you, please don't kill them- they are an important part of the ecosystem.

Thank you everyone for your thoughtful and helpful suggestions. I do want to note that I am aware of the importance of wasps, hornets, bees, etc. to our environment. I am also aware of the dangers of severe, possibly fatal, stings to someone who is extremely allergic. I am going to follow my heart on this one.

Archived