Chapala.com Webboard

Speedtest by Ookla

Cool, but there are millions who will never learn how to do that. On the other hand, maybe they don't care anyway.

I have been recommending speedof.me to those who have an aversion to Flash and/or Java. Also, in theory, it should offer more accurate results if you choose the larger download tests.

That being said, since we do have speed discussions frequently here, I thought some of you might like to know about the new speedtest beta.

Things are a little slow today. I guess I had better check my wireless settings or connect again via cable. Darn this is all I get.

4504501311.png

If your speed results are much slower maybe you need help from someone like the ComputerGuy

Either I am missing something (very possible) or everybody else is. There was a few months last year where on a speed test, it said that I was getting 15 Mps. My problem as I see it is that Texmex won't or can't keep me connected to the server field. I was at Apple for the best part of 4 years and Sun for two and I have fairly advanced software on my computers. They are very clear what the problem is when my feeds stop. "Disconnected from server". Sometimes I'm connected for 2 minutes, disconnected for 5 to 7 minutes. I have spoken to a number of other folks with the same problem here in San Juan. I called Mexico City Telmex , and the tech I spoke with was not shy about the problem. He said that the problem was not enough servers in San Antonio, and that the office in Ajijic keeps signing up more customers. I asked if there plans to increase capacity, and he laughed. I did not take that as a good sign. So, I am switching to Telecable at the end of this month. I will start with 5 Mps and increase the speed if need be. So, my point is this. Who cares how fast the download is if you are not connected. Oh Yeah. Sumofbit. It was cruel to post that shot of your speed test. I would kill to get even half that performance. There just below it is Johanson's results. Do you all see the server specs? Right there is the problem. We are poor relatives here on the Lake. The first five years I lived here, the speed available was not all that fast, but I didn't lose contact. I lived with that speed with no pain. Here's hoping that Telecable does better.

jaykay, check your modem. My own Huawei modem was losing sync for a couple of months. I had to rehit the ip config several times a day. For all intents and purposes, it appeared to be TelMex dropping the signal, but it was the modem. Is there a test for this for home users? Not that I know of.

If you have a Technicolor brand modem, chances are far greater that it's firmware has screwed up. I've seen customers get three new-in-the-box modems in one day and have the first two be malfunctioning. Always ask for the Huawei brand (pronounced WOWAY).

All problems solved with my new modem.

Archived