Chapala.com Webboard

Travelling Guadalajara - Manzanillo - Ajijic...Any Advice?

Cincy

We're planning another house hunting trip to Ajijic in early September, our third. This time, Instead of going directly to Ajijic, from Guadalajara airport we were going to drive to Manzanillo for a few days before heading back to Ajijic for the rest of the week. The route looks fairly straight forward (3hr 22min on google). All our driving/travelling will be during the daylight hours. Any advice on travelling this route? I did notice Colima Volcano has become VERY active over the weekend...!!!

Enjoy the drive, the road is good, be alert in the section through Colima itself, a lot of traffic and roadside activity in spots. The middle part, before Colima is super scenic. We got some great views of the volcano from the old rest area on the south end. I'm not sure if that is still there as it appeared they were moving the south toll gates closer to Colima.

I wouldn't drive any road in this country after dark and a lot of the ones NOB either simply because of all the loose stuff running around, plus statistics show a high percentage of accidents and DWIs at night.

It's an easy run from GDL.

Tolls are $125 x 3 coming and same going.

There are 4 tolls now. The first 2 tolls have been removed and are replaced by 3 new tolls. The cost of the first 2 tolls have been split up in $74 and $55.

Third toll $129 and the last toll nearby Manzanillo im not sure, could be $127 or $129, as my tag was accepted but it didnt show up in my creditcard yet i can't tell it for sure yet.

Good road. When you are passing the high bridges, the only part where there is still only one lane each direction, and look to your right when going to Manzanillo you can see they are building a new road with even more high bridges. You can see the pillars already standing high out of the canyons.

Archived