Chapala.com Webboard

Toll Tag We Do Not Recommend

I went on the route to route and figured I needed $1585p each way in tolls, so I went to the bank bought our toll tag and put $3000p on it.

today was the first leg of our trip 9 tolls took the toll tag, while 7 did not, so they either just did not accept it in small towns or it said invalid amount, talk about frustrating since we didn't plan on bringing that much money with us. So I guess that on our return trip we will probably have to stop at a bank for more pesos.

l time when it said invalid amount I had to back out of the lane to go to another one to pay cash.

So how long do we have to use this money on this tag, who knows when we will need it again.

So to people thinking about getting this, we will probably not do it again or put at least 1/2 that amount on it since it doesn't work a lot of the time anyway.

Many of the tolls that did accept it was the same lane that accepted regular money so we had to wait with many cars in front of us at times, so this does not save time either.

Frustrated in Navajoa!

Hensley, could you be more specific about the route and the toll gates you had problems with? Were those gates marked IAVE? Did you take the tag and hold it up outside of the car? I've been told that this, along with basically coming to a stop, cuts down on the problem you all had.

I've used the flat plastic permanent tolltag on 3 different routes to Texas with no issues as well as trips to the Pacific coast once every month or 2. The toll booths on the Tepic highway seem to be picking up the tag faster each trip. Slow down a bit and immediately get the green light. The could be a learning curve on the plastic type or even the possibility of a defective device.

The sensor lines up more toward the center of the car if you pull close to the toll booth which is probably why the site recommends placing the tag in the center of the window around or just below the rear view mirror.

One would think that the transmitter would be strong enough to send the signal at an angle from the driver's side but not knowing the techology it's hard to guess.

I originally had mine in the left corner driver's side of the windshield and did encounter a lot of problems with slow or no recognition so perhaps just moving the card 2-3 feet could make a difference.

It should be a lot easier on a motorcycle than a car. On the bike you can see the sensor and point at it directly. In a car you lose sight of the sensor and have to position your car based on the concrete post holding it up.

Day 2 report 6 tolls today and all advertise on the signs that they take the toll tag and every single time we had to pay because it said in red that it had invalid amount, so we had to pay the entire day. Construction was horrible today.

30 minutes in the US and we now have a nice broken windshield, been a hum dinger of a day!!

I'm having a hard time figuring out what you are reporting.

What said in red "invalid amount?" Was it referring to the toll or to the fact it couldn't read the tag?

Are you using exclusive IAVE lanes or the Multimodals?

What route are you taking? Ruta 15 to Nogales?

Where was the construction? U.S. or Mexico? There have been earlier reports of extensive construction on Ruta 15 which really needs modernizing and upgrading and seems to be getting at least some of it.

Your reports seem to be inconsistent with the reports of others using these tags hence more details might help sort things out. John may be right that you have a bad tag and need to get another one.

Thanks.

Archived