Chapala.com Webboard

Where to Rent a Car Lakeside and approximate cost for little run around

sm1mex

Just a thought. Unless the information being conveyed is sensitive or particularly private in nature, PMs are probably best avoided, since the information therein is very often useful to others reading the post. (That's not to say that in Hensley's case there were not sound reasons for not sharing the info with the entire board.)

Ron Young, who is a mechanic specializing in Volkswagen Beetles (Vochos), rented to a neighbor for $400 U.S. per month. He is in the complex across the highway from Soriana. It was a bit of a beater and remember it is a standard transmission.

Just a thought, and it may not be helpful depending on the situation, but maybe your friend should consider only renting a car for specific needs. Most of the time it's easy to get around this area by walking, taking the bus, or taking a taxi. Even the bus into Guad is easy to catch and then he can take taxis around the city which saves wear and tear on the nerves and isn't too expensive.

If he wants to do some road trips he could plan them close together and rent for one or two weeks at a time instead of a solid three months. Anyway, if he is going any distance he'll want something reliable so the extreme "budget" option may not be the best.

I believe there is (or at least there was) a car rental place in the little strip mall accross from LLoyds. We rented from them a couple of years ago and thought they were OK. Can't recall the price.

I don't think you'll find much better than S&S's price. After all, it's a full vehicle for three whole months. Imagine what that would cost back home. Normally we're talking a week or two. The purchase and resell option is a smart idea, as long as the paperwork is all done properly, and that I'm not sure how to handle.

Canada, where you're right. A standard-size in Ottawa is under $1,000. But items like this are historically much more expensive than back home. Just a quick online check shows a standard-sized vehicle from Budget in the U.S. is over $1,000.

I have had several recommendations and I have found 4 different persons renting cars at a good rate. My friend will need to decide what to take as some are stick shift for a couple of buck less and some are automatic for a couple of buck more.

All have full insurance except one place, which does not carry collision, only liability, so that counts that out.

I had the misfortune of renting a car from one of the aforementioned

car owners. Luckily I inquired through the emergency insurance number given to me about

insurance coverage in case of an accident. I explained that this was a rental car and was

I covered? The answer was no, there is not specific rental car insurance on this car.

Since then I have learned that I might be covered if I drove someones private

car and lied about the rental issue in the event of an accident.

However if the insurance company did learn that a private car was being rented,

I wonder if they would void an insurance claim. A big claim, or even jail time

to me is not worth the risk.

So do your homework, call the insurance company and inquire about "rental car insurance"

or rent at the airport or from someone with valid "rental car insurance" and avoid the risk.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived