Chapala.com Webboard

Lake level

OK, I have to ask, since this has been bothering me since I first saw the lake level records.

Does anyone know what 93.98 M means as far as lake level? The lake is nowhere near that deep at ANY point, and clearly it's not in meters above sea level. What point is it 93.98 M above??

I know this is trivial but I thought I'd see if anyone knows the answer.

OK, I have to ask, since this has been bothering me since I first saw the lake level records.

Does anyone know what 93.98 M means as far as lake level? The lake is nowhere near that deep at ANY point, and clearly it's not in meters above sea level. What point is it 93.98 M above??

If you go here:

http://www.mexconnect.com/articles/1568-a-season-of-hope

and then go down to Lake Chapala in numbers you will see them talking about the Cota Index.

I know this is trivial but I thought I'd see if anyone knows the answer.

It isn't 93.98 meters above anything but 6.02 meters below the 100 meter cota (level) that was set as a benchmark on a bridge near the east end of the lake many years ago. 100 is an arbitrary figure for a reference point.

From Tony Burton; " Over the years, yes, there have been several different values of "full".

The current definition is based on a cota of 97.8; the highest level ever recorded was 99.38.

As an aside, when the lake was low during the 1980s and 1990s, the National Water Commission arbitrarily changed "full" to cota 94.9 (volume of about 4,500 million cubic meters).

This link shows basically the same info, just in another format.

It shows the change in lake level for each day over the past week,

and also the change in lake level for the same week

during the past 2 years, so you can see year-to-year comparisons.

This is the same link that is on the left side of the Chapalaweather.net

home page titled "CEA Lake Info"

http://ceajalisco.gob.mx/chapala.html

And it's shown in meters above the Cota height of 0. The first post shows the cota to be 93.98 meters on 7/7/15. This morning the height increased to 94.04 meters above the Cota height of 0. All of this to include what "Cota means is explained in the link posted above, linking you to Mexconnect.

Meters? The lake level is measured in % of capacity.

The lake level height is measured in meters. The volume is measured in %. Of course they are related.

When it was washing over the pier in Chapala, what level was it at by this measure?

99.02 meters from what I see about 1967.

And it's shown in meters above the Cota height of 0. The first post shows the cota to be 93.98 meters on 7/7/15. This morning the height increased to 94.04 meters above the Cota height of 0. All of this to include what "Cota means is explained in the link posted above, linking you to Mexconnect.

I can't follow this.

It isn't 94.04 meters above the Cota height of 0 (there is no such thing in this context) but 5.96 meters below the benchmark of 100.

Many years ago the lake was up almost to the first block in Ajijic and although the (Old) Posada was still open, it could only be accessed through the entrance to the hotel on 16th de Septiembre. The windows in the bar had waves splashing on them and the opening towards the shore was bricked up to about four feet high. The old pier was not visible at all and fishing nets were being pulled up the north/south streets since that was the shoreline. So, was the lake full then? Sure seemed like it to me...

Cedros:

It's all explain in detail in the link given above to mexconnect. And yes, it is also 5.96 meters below 100 meters which I think is linked do a bridge height or what ever was explained in the above link.

Many years ago the lake was up almost to the first block in Ajijic and although the (Old) Posada was still open, it could only be accessed through the entrance to the hotel on 16th de Septiembre. The windows in the bar had waves splashing on them and the opening towards the shore was bricked up to about four feet high. The old pier was not visible at all and fishing nets were being pulled up the north/south streets since that was the shoreline. So, was the lake full then? Sure seemed like it to me...

If you know what year that was you can find the level.

If you know what year that was you can find the level.

I remember it well, it was 1977-1978 and the lake level reached Independencia/16 of Septiembre in Ajijic and slightly covered Ramon Corona in Chapala.

The only difference in the account above was that the back door of the Old Posada was protected by sand bags and not bricked up, which allowed a little water into the area going to the restrooms and they were kind of messy.

Of course, I was much younger, Morley and Judy made great margaritas, and nobody gave a shxt. It was like one of those fancy aquarium bars where you could sit a watch the fish swim by. LOL

Archived