Chapala.com Webboard

Car insurance for nationalised vehicles changed.,

mint

I just tried to renew my car insurance on my nationalised vehicle ( I bought it privately from owner who had nationalised it already). I have been told that without a factura ( from the agency that nationalised the vehicle) I won't be covered for total loss ( theft or collision). I can still get this insurance, but the insurance companies won't honor the claim for total loss unless I have a factura. Apparently this is a new policy which has just come in, and many nationalised vehicles don't have a factura. Has anybody else encountered this? It seems my only option is to get liability only insurance.....

I am not sure that it is an actual change. Nationalized vehicles have generally been treated as ‘chocolates‘ are treated; lacking absolutely clear and unbroken chain of ownership from brand new, and only being offered liability insurance.

I was told by an insurrance agent that insurance companies do not like nationalized car so I guess they

are coming up with rules not to deal with the nationalized cars. I alwasy was told I could not get more than liabilities at best so maybe this company is getting stricter..look at other companies.

They would usually give a factura for a super low value to pay less tax so ask if you show them a factura with a value of $5000 pesos if they will pay the actual value of the vehicle which you paid your premium based upon

I had the same experience. We have a 2003 vehicle that was nationalized 2 years ago. No problem with getting comprehensive coverage but this year I was told that, without a factura, I could only get liability. I was also told by the insurance agent that only about 1% of people who nationalized vehicles have a factura. Given the age of the vehicle, this is not a big deal. Someone said that AXA insurance may still provide full coverage.

A fracture was needed when the car was registered

Apparently this is not the document that is being referenced here. As mentioned, I'm told that only 1% of people received the factura that is now being required by the insurance companies. We have a pedimento and the invoice from the dealer where we purchased the vehicle in Canada, along with the Ontario registration (Canadian provinces don't issue "titles" ) and the car has legally issued Jalisco plates.

As I understand it - a "factura" is actually an invoice from a licensed Mexican car dealership. This is the evidence that the vehicle was originally purchased as a new vehicle here in Mexico. I have heard the term that these vehicles are "National" vehicles.

When a car is imported and accepted by Aduana - a "pedimiento" is issued with which you present to Jalisco in order to get plates/tags to put on the vehicle and get onto Jalisco's database. You do not have a factura with these vehicles.

There are also many other cars that are driven into Mexico by Mexicans and never imported or registered in any state in Mexico. These are referred to as "chocolates". The drivers of these vehicles have no insurance and many not even have a driver's license.

I nationalized two vehicles and both were given facturas, albeit for a low ball value and that were never asked for when it came time to get plates or Jalisco registration.

Legal facturas are issued by the broker who nationalized the vehicle. It shows name and address of broker; name and address of person who provided the ID to nationalize; the amount paid to Aduana plus the IVA paid to nationalize; vehicle VIN and make and model.

The one I have in front of me shows: 16,695 and 2671.20 IVA and total 19366.20 These are amounts paid by broker.

Every car that is legally nationalized must have a factura from the broker. If someone says they do not have one for a nationalized vehicle I suggest you check further.

Normally, to register a nationalized vehicle in Mexico you must have pedimento and factura and both stay with the vehicle for its' life. I have assisted clients on many occasions with cars nationalized to register for the first time and when these vehicles have been sold and re-registered.

For a vehicle bought in Mexico it also normal to ask for factura from original purchase even if 20 years ago. It is that factura that gets signed off every time vehicle is sold and presented to Rentas.

I have not had clients charged extra for insurance because vehicle was nationalized and they received full coverage. If you are not getting full coverage then best to shop around. They are NOT considered chocolates. So many myths and fear mongering. :-)

saludos

Sonia

Sonia, I have read the fine print in many policies and there can be lesser coverages for nationalized vehicles, some of the conditions even differentiate if the car was nationalized in Texas versus Arizona and for these vehicles for total loss or theft they will only pay 60% ofter deductible.

Many people also may have a factura and not know what it is or looks like.

The insurance agent showed me a factura from another client, (which I have checked and do not have) it was issued by the agent who organised the importation /nationalisation at the border, she said most people don't have this, only the pedimento showing the fees paid for nationalisation. As she explained my car is totally legal ( the pedimento is sufficient to register the car in your name) but if I take out full coverage on my car ( which I can do still) the insurance company won't pay out for total loss. So I can buy the insurance but it's pointless as they won't pay out for total loss as I don't have the factura ( so it only really becomes an issue if you try to claim for total loss, not stopping you buying the full coverage).. Does anybody know a way round this?

I.e can I get a factura somehow now?

Or. Do they know of insurance companies that will pay out without a factura for total loss?

You can go back to broker and ask for a factura. They will likely charge a fee. I have completed 89 cars and every one has a factura. The organization I work with has nationalzed hundreds and hundreds of vehicles and all have a factura. What did the seller sign off to allow you to register if not the factura from the broker?

Why the insurance company who says your car is legal would base insurance coverage on whether or not you have a factura if they think it is legal is beyond me. How do you know for 100% your vehicle was legally nationalized? I am not saying is is not legally nationalized but with no factura i would being checking every source including contacting broker, checking SAT and REPUVE web sites.

All cars nationalized must have a factura. This past Monday a car that I had nationalized was sold. We went to Rentas and the buyer needed the factura, pedimento and original title / registration from Canada. The factura was signed off on the back to the new owner. We could not have transferred ownership of a nationalized car with Guanajuato state plates without the factura.

If one buys a used car that was originally bought new in Mexico, as I noted the factura follows the car and every subsequent seller signs off on the factura. I do not see how one can not have a factura when a car is nationalized and not expect same process. Certainly in GTO state a must and in many others in states where we have nationalized cars.

saludos

Sonia

It sort of makes sense that a Mexican insurance company would not want to insure an imported vehicle for 100% of it's value. Many of the vehicles that are imported may not have the same options or parts as the "originally sold by Mexican car dealership" vehicles. This would make the cost of repairs higher if the parts have to be sourced outside of the country and brought into Mexico in order to repair the vehicle.

If one does not have a factura how can the car ever be sold?

Exactly

I have The certificate of title from Illinois and the pedimento showing it was nationalised. On the pedimento there is a section that says 'Num.Factura' ... Not sure who to contact to get the factura... Sonia could I send you a copy of the pedimento so you can help me identify who the broker was?

My email is SONIANGEL32@hotmail.com and I will see if I can get name of broker. I will also double check pedimento.

Have you registered the car in Jalisco state?

saludos

Sonia

Archived