Chapala.com Webboard

Traffic Light Trap: Fenix Real Estate location

The police in the new pick seem to be trolling all the week, from 8am >. Have heard from friends being stopped for emission sticker and not wearing seat belt

Your friends could avoid being stopped by abiding by the rules and getting an emission sticker and wearing their seat belts.

I got pulled over by a Validad this past week for allegedly running a red light at the Libramiento. I did not. Time to invest in a dashboard cam to shut down the mordido fishermen extorting under color of law.

I got pulled over by a Validad this past week for allegedly running a red light at the Libramiento. I did not. Time to invest in a dashboard cam to shut down the mordido fishermen extorting under color of law.

Did you pay a mordida or ask for a ticket?

Your friends could avoid being stopped by abiding by the rules and getting an emission sticker and wearing their seat belts.

Dream on. Since you don't live here I don't think you are aware of the long history of mordida trolling by the local traficos.

Since you don't live here I don't think you are aware of the long history of mordida trolling by the local traficos.

All the more reason not to give them a perfectly legitimate cause to pull you over. They're opportunists. Why give them an opportunity? And actually as I think about it, during the 7 1/2 years I've lived here, each of the four times I've been pulled over in this area was because I did something illegal, and I knew it at the time and made the illegal move by choice. I haven't ever paid mordida in our area because it's just uneccesary. Well, except for the one $20 peso - that's right twenty - "Pa'l chesco" moment in Chapala, which I paid just because I found it amusing and wanted the story.

Do you really think the tránsitos here are any different than other parts of Mexico? They're not. The only difference is this area has an abundance of foreigners who are easily intimidated, don't know how to play the game, and cave in quickly and generously. It's a paradise assignment for them.

I love this cartoon.

reglamento3.jpg

All the more reason not to give them a perfectly legitimate cause to pull you over. They're opportunists. Why give them an opportunity?

Do you really think the tránsitos here are any different than other parts of Mexico? They're not. The only difference is this area has an abundance of foreigners who are easily intimidated, don't know how to play the game, and cave in quickly and generously. It's a paradise assignment for them.

Mainecoons,I'm well aware of the transito issues at Lakeside,it's a plum assignment for the very reasons Travis pointed out.

Dream on. Since you don't live here I don't think you are aware of the long history of mordida trolling by the local traficos.

Well, I do live here and have for a long time, and I agree with cbviajero completely. There seems to be a common assumption that most everyone complaining about Transitos on this board is innocent and honest and the Transitos are mostly liars ancd corrupt, all on the word of someone or heresay and second hand accounts.

Well I've lived here long enough to have first hand experience that the Transitos have earned their reputation deservedly. We and everyone we know have gotten the shakedown and many, many others have reported incidences on this and other area message boards.

Worrying about a corrupt and largely defunct emission program out here in the sticks where it doesn't matter anyway while people speed, run stop signs and traffic lights and do all sorts of real violations is just another indication for me that traffic safety is not their priority.

It feels to me like just an excuse to pull people over and see what they can come up with.

Having said that, the situation in general has improved over our time here but it does tend to ebb and flow.

Hassling people over seat belts while dozens of people ride around in the back of pick up trucks is pretty silly too IMO. Yes, we wear our seat belts, I feel naked in a car without one on.

The number of reports of transito shakedowns and even robberies over the years has accumulated into the hundreds. Where there's this much smoke, there is fire. If some want to ignore it, they are free to do so but that doesn't change the history of transito behavior here, and for that matter in GDL.

There is a reason the government has been examining police and transito forces for corruption and firing very large numbers of them. I believe that program has made a significant difference but there's still a ways to go.

Did you see the officers credentials

Did you ask for the ticket

Did you note the date, time, and truck nmber and plate7

Did you file the complaint form available at LCS

If you didn[t you are wasting your and our time.

I feel deprived. In eleven years in Mexico, six of them in a CA plated truck and five in a Mexican plated car, my husband and I have received one measly (appropriately earned) traffic ticket from a very courteous policeman who didn't suggest mordida, but handed over the ticket and informed esposo where to pay it. We must be doing something wrong !! :unsure: Or maybe it's that "invisibility shield" we bought off a guy selling on the plaza for awhile.

Archived