Chapala.com Webboard

Emissions test--do I have to do it?

Lexy

It is my understanding that when issued a ticket for not having a current sticker the offender has 30 days to have the test done without paying any fine for the ticket. Therefore, there would be zero reason for paying a mordita and zero reason to be concerned about getting a ticket. Did I dream this up or does someone know if this is correct?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It is my understanding that when issued a ticket for not having a current sticker the offender has 30 days to have the test done without paying any fine for the ticket. Therefore, there would be zero reason for paying a mordita and zero reason to be concerned about getting a ticket. Did I dream this up or does someone know if this is correct?

Al--I doubt if you dreamed this up. It sounds as if this may be so. But how many of us know this when pulled over for an emissions offense?

I wasn't an offender--even if I didn't know it at the time--but the officer may have realized that I wasn't an offender finally and backed off about issuing a ticket.

Lexy

The problem as I understand it was widespread corruption with the test stations. Apparently a lot of them just took the money plus a bribe and handed out stickers. I haven't read anything that indicates Jalisco has fixed this program.

Anyone with a later model car is not going to have a problem meeting the rather lax emission standards of this test. In the U.S. many states have begun exempting such newer cars. Here's a story from Canada that illustrates the point very well:

http://globalnews.ca/news/1186030/newer-model-cars-almost-never-fail-driveclean-government-data-shows/

I'm sorry but when I look at all the smoking heaps running around on the streets in this state, I have a hard time taking this program very seriously. I think our local transitos could keep quite busy writing tickets for real violations like the bus that drove right through the red light in front of me and in front of one of them in San Antonio.

FYI, there is ALSO an authorized Emissions Testing Center in Los Cedros, about 5 minutes north of Ixtlahuacan, or 15-20 minutes north of Chapala ... much closer than Guadalajara. Cost is $250 pesos. We got a sticker there just today. It is called AutoServicio Martinez -Techmart. Tel (376) 762-1676. Good mechanics, large covered and well equipped shop, also with computer analysis.

Lets get real. They can stop you anytime here. Get the sticker. It takes five minutes. I have driven here five years, driven 20K miles in mexico and never been stopped but I don't give them excuses to stop me. I am sure I will be stopped someday but I do drive with Mexican plates, Small car with dents in it, Don't go the wrong way in traffic circles in La Floresta, Don't turn left across a solid line at Colon or anywhere. I walk ten miles a day along the Carraterra. Many of us folks attract Vial (traffic) police with our behavior. I spent a great deal of my life working outside the US. These skill learned have served me well in Mexico. Nothing personal here just letting folks know sometimes we need to look at our own behavior. This is not aimed at anyone posting here just the attitude I hear towards Mexican traffic laws often at lakeside concerns me sometimes. Every cop I have met in Mexico at traffic stops or on the street has been nice to me but I am nice to them. I know my luck will fail and I will have a bad experience someday. I also understand not everybody who is stopped deserves it but we can control many things that decrease the chances of being stopped.

Civil Comments please

That's an interesting question. I drive a small diesel and have been pulled over twice by transitos for "excessive smoke". Once in Guadalajara and once here at Lakeside. I got off both times once they found out it was a diesel. In my home jurisdiction, Ontario, small diesels require a smog check once every two years before you can renew your plates. BUT - the test is only a visual and no tailpipe emissions analysis is done - so it is highly subjective. Analysis is only done on heavier commercial type vehicles, not passenger cars.

Diesel while very visual polluting are actually cleaner in many ways than old gas vehicles. Different types of pollution between gas and diesel but overall diesel fumes are less toxic than old type gas fumes. New gas vehicles can actually put out cleaner air out the tail pipe than the air going into the engine in places like LA. They have coating on radiators now that turn the ozone into something else as the air passes over the hot radiator. US just announced new long term truck pollution and MPG standards. I believe this will be the third set of standards for commercial trucks. Huge costs per truck are predicted when these new standards are put into effect.

I was pulled over on the libramiento supposedly for an expired emissions sticker also. At the time I was still in the faster stretch of road and was driving the same speed as everyone around me, which was probably over the speed limit, but how in hell can they read a sticker at that speed, and from behind? I believe they thought I was alone, and when they realized I had passengers in the car they backtracked and let me go. They could see the sticker but not my passengers?

AutoServicio Martinez -Techmart. Tel (376) 762-1676. Good mechanics, large covered and well equipped shop, also with computer analysis.

QUESTION; Can and do they do diesel cars? Tried to call today, no answer...........Thank you

I finally reached the garage and was told that they do not have the equipment to do diesel testing.

Yes, because of the emission sticker.

He started off by showing me his badge name and ID. I don't remember his name. He was in a car or truck, not on a motorcycle.

He looked at my back window where the car's previous owner had stickers lined up from 2010. It has a 2014 sticker, from the year I bought the car. He pointed out that there was no 2015. He said because of that he was going to give me a ticket and that I needed to go to the emissions place and pay for 2015. He asked several times if I understood what he was saying. (See my post #1 above.)

I thought, in my ignorance about emissions testing, that it was an annual thing and that I'd missed my payment date. (Later, I realized I wasn't due to pay for this test until July--and the day he stopped me it was only July 5.)

I believe he asked me how long I've lived here. I definitely recall that asked me if I lived alone or with someone. I said in Spanish that I lived with my husband who is sick now.

Soon after that he stepped back with his ticket-writing clipboard and said he wasn't giving me a ticket, but to be sure to have the emissions test.

He didn't seem to be looking for a mordida. I've had my share of that kind of cop and they get to the point pretty quickly. So checking on an emissions sticker is strange, particularly since he should have known from my license plate #6 that payment was not overdue.

Lexy

Lexi

The traffic cop asked if you lived alone?

Posted Yesterday, 06:15 PM

The place in Chapala does diesel. I was there when a diesel car came in and they were told "yes, we can do diesel here"

I just came back from Chapala (Taller Mecanico y Hologramas) talked to Carlos, 376 765-2141 @ calle Zaragoza #375 and it was a definite NO for diesel emission control. Asked for any other place he could suggest and again a no. Then drove to Car City talked to Cesare and another NO, with no suggestion for a place in the city.

Now what?????????? Captain Joseph

Just thought I'd stop by the Zaragoza shop and maybe, if they weren't too crowded, get my emissions sticker. 10 minutes, yes 10 minutes later I left there with the sticker in place on the windshield. No more worries about the police profiling for stickers. You see, the color is different, so when the motorcycle cops pass on the right, they can tell in a split second if you have this year's color. That is provided your stickers are on the passenger side window as are many in the area. So, if you are due for a sticker, get it done and save yourself the anxiety.

i went to the emissions in chapala my car is due in October, i missed my 2014 sticker,

the representative said his computer can no override the system, and could not do a emission for me today, i have to come back in October when i am due,

even through it been two years.

he said just tell the police that i refused you, and you will be back in October to get your emission sticker.

i have not been stopped yet.

Does a car need to be a certain age before an emissions test is due? In the UK, it was due on the car's 3rd birthday and annually thereafter

Does a car need to be a certain age before an emissions test is due? In the UK, it was due on the car's 3rd birthday and annually thereafter

No.

Actually, believe it or not, if you buy a new car which will have a sticker from the purchase date and you get a license plate with a renewal number later than the month in which you bought the car, even it it's the very next month, you have to go in and get another sticker for the same year! This happened to me...May purchase, 8 license digit, another test in Sept.

Archived