Chapala.com Webboard

Mexican Cuota Toll Tag

hensley

Ok we went to the bank and got our little gadget, I can't find the thread now to ask the person that started the thread, now where do I affix this gadget on our car, for the toll roads?

Thanks

In the center of the windshield at or just below the level of the rear view mirror. If you have the flexible plastic version remove the backing and affix it to the windshield permanently. Keeping the tag totally flat seems to help the sensor to read your account more consistently.

La Vida you just go to Bancomer and get one.

John I got this one pictured, I haven't opened it yet but wouldn't you want the bar code to face the front of your car so it can be read? I would think maybe attach it to the back of the rear view mirror.

Is this the one you got?

2mg2ezd.jpg

No: the photo you show above shows the back of the device--as seen by the driver. The reader is in a plastic case, which affixes with the 2 tabs to the windshield. The online info can direct you to specific locations on the windshield (Jeeps, for example, position lower because they sit higher.) Sit it under the mirror and any zig-zaggy details on your windshield.

And note: not all tolls take them: about 1/3 of the tolls to Laredo did not register. Apparently, some of the tolls are subcontractors who have not yet transferred to the IAVE system so be prepared if you get an Inválido reading and have to back out into a toll lane and pay the toll.

That's the portable one that you can use in multiple vehicles. the instructions say that you don't have to adhere it to the windshield for it to work. Orientation shouldn't matter because it's just a transmitter that sends your account info to the square receiver at the tollbooth.

It seems like it would roll around on the windshield. You could try that or just attach it to the windshield with some velcro.

I've had mine for a long time probably before the hard plastic type existed. The other type called a calcomania is a little smaller than a playing card, flexible and about the same thickness as a card.

Are the devices only to available from Bancomer? Can they be linked to a checking account or do you have to make separate deposits to insure the device hasn't sufficient funds to cover tolls?

There was a thread on this forum earlier in the year about ordering a card directly from idmexico.com.mx but unless you have a Mexican credit card, the only method of payment is to pre-pay at a bank or some of the authorized deposit points.

It appears that most people opt for prepaid access through deposits at Bancomer. I use a credit card because I find it easier to manage and don't have to be concerned about running out of a prepaid balance while on the road.

If you have a TexTag don't expect this little RFID transceiver to work the same. You can't zoom through. Go very slow under the flat plate antenna overhead. On the last trip to Laredo going north it didn't work at a third of the booths. On our return after I finally figured out what was wrong and slowed and lingered under the antenna it worked at 100% of the booths. Of course around Houston you get the TexTag read at 55+mph.

Unfortunately Mexico doesn't use RFID technology yet. In Texas the sensors and cameras can pick up 8 lanes of cars weaving in and out at 100mph as well as catch the plate numbers of those cars without tags.

A slow approach and roll at the cuota tollbooth works very well as the last poster suggests. Once you get the hang of it you can clear the tollbooth pretty quickly,

As to the question of debit card use one would have to try it but I doubt it will work. The website explicitly speaks of credit cards and other pay for service sites like Mexican airlines do not accept debit cards. Bancomer debit cards carry the Visa logo but are not even embossed with the customer name. Debit cards in the US can be used like credit cards but the rules in Mexico seem to be a bit different.

If you have a TexTag don't expect this little RFID transceiver to work the same. You can't zoom through. Go very slow under the flat plate antenna overhead. On the last trip to Laredo going north it didn't work at a third of the booths. On our return after I finally figured out what was wrong and slowed and lingered under the antenna it worked at 100% of the booths. Of course around Houston you get the TexTag read at 55+mph.

It seemed to me that in the electronic toll booths I saw on the way down from McAllen, there was a gate and when the device recorded the toll, it opened the gate. But I also have this feeling that some of the IAVE entries didn't have gates which leads me to wonder how you know if you paid the toll.

That device they use in Texas is pretty awesome, it will record your information as you blow by under the sensors at over 80 mph on the Austin bypass.

You can go online to your IAVE account and check your balance, recent tolls/transactions and email inquiries and problems. (Your transponder account number is on the card that comes in the clamshell with the device, that you are supposed to keep.)

Well I went on the site to make sure the money I put on it was there and it won't let me sign up for a new account. I can't get past the sign up, I click on it and nothing happens.

http://translate.google.com.mx/translate?hl=en&sl=es&u=https://www.idmexico.com.mx/&prev=search

My old style sticker worked in June with every toll from Laredo to GDL. It was taped to the windshield below the sun tint, and just above the drivers line of vision. Some cars with power in the rear view mirror for compass auto-dim etc can interfere. I have found that going very slowly below the sensor works best.

I'm hearing two versions of this. One version is that each vehicle has to have a tag but then a buddy of mine tells me he uses the same tag for both his motorcycle and his car, not at the same time of course. He claims the guy in the IAVE booth enters what kind of vehicle the tag is being used for and he gets charged the correct toll. Motorcycle tolls are half car tolls so I would think he would know whether he was charged right.

The Texas toll tag is vehicle specific. They are pretty cool though, you can drive through the toll booth at 80.

Friend of mine sent me an email he got from Bancomer about a toll tag promotion. However when you read it the tag is only apparently good here:

It is valid only for highway crossings and crossings in urban highways (Viaduct Bicentennial Mexican Outer Loop, Autopista Urbana Norte, Autopista Urbana Sur, Western Superhighway and highway Naucalpan - Ecatepec).

Mostly Lost, I am lost now, that is the site I am using and it still won't let me in, I put a user and password, press register and it give me the box I press the thing at the bottom, enter my toll tag in and get this message: El TAG es incorrecto

Gosh I hope this thing works, I got a receipt, but I was working with a young girl that had to keep getting help.

I wonder if I could go back to the bank and ask them to help me with the online part.

Archived