Chapala.com Webboard

New pizza joint, but no excitement

ComputerGuy

At Centro Laguna in the food court. The owner of Romeo y Julieta Italian ices has opened a take-out place. If the campesino slice I tried is any indication, there's not much point in going. One good thing: more sauce than most places use.

20 pesos a slice is more than anyone charges. Toppings were fairly tasteless. Unless you get it fresh out of the oven, the temp under the heat lamps is tepid. The fellow from Joco who sells pizza for much less at the Wednesday tianguis has way tastier slices, and a lot bigger, too.

I looked at it on Sunday early evening, there were about 8 tables full of people, all of them eating subway or chinese. The pizza looked dried up, none for us.

if you want pizza, go to Perry's Pizza.

as i was once again without a car, i ordered a Italian sausage, mushroom and olive pizza DELIVERED and it was 165 pesos, no delivery service charge to Chula Vista Norte, and the driver got 200 pesos from me

it was still a reasonable temperature and out of this world

Thanks, not looking for recommendations (especially Perry's, ad nauseum); just alerting folks to my take on a new place.

I don't know what kind of additive Perry's adds to his pizza, but it causes the fans to use any excuse to talk about it.

If they could bottle that substance, most restaurants would pay dearly to have it. :unsure:

When I first got here ten years ago, I came down before my wife, who could NOT get loose from her job.

I found some good places for breakfast and a few good places for supper, but zip as far as pizzas. There wasn't a single one that was good enough to be called poor. I kept count and at that time there about ten pizza places from Chapala to Joco. I had to report the unthinkable to my wife. The best pizza on the lake was Dominos. When I reported this to my wife, she started laughing, until she realized I wasn't joking. A couple of years ago, things got a little better when Costco started selling take home pizzas that you could bake in your oven. They were bearable. I have lost track of how many places opened, survived for a little while and sank without a trace. Sadly, I tried most of them and they were in most cases not fit to give to the dogs. ( I love my dogs) They all used the cheapest materials possible and the dough was a disaster. You know what is the worst part of it all? In Italy pizza was originally peasant food. It's not rocket science. I always wondered why no one seemed to ever buy a book on how to do it. One place I will always remember used a very large tortilla instead of dough. Another place had the pizza prep table right by the door when you came in. The first thing I saw was a man using a rolling pin to flatten out the pizza dough. That pretty much makes sure that the crust will be thin and inedible. Yes, I worked out a way to make it in our oven, even though it doesn't get that hot. I am lazy so I don't do it that often. Any way, I was pleased to see the first write-ups on Perry's pizza. Not a single negative review, which I think you will agree, is a little rare. Here is the bad part. I haven't been there yet. I think I'm afraid it will be one more disappointment, but I am going to be brave and go to Perry's and try it. I looked over the comments about Perry's, but it's not clear to me exactly where it is. A little help?

Okay, let's just go with the flow...

The first place I had pizza here was in a little open joint across from Hotel Italo, 16 years ago. It was a typical Mexican-style thin crust, introduced me to something called chorizo, and was frikkin' delicious. It wasn't "Canadian" style pizza, but I didn't care, because it was close enough and it was SO good.

Today, CostCo sells a very good medium-crust cheese pizza in four-packs, in the freezer section. The dough and sauce are a cut above. Like Gringal, I just add my own toppings. (They also have a pepp pizza, but the crust is too thick for my taste, even though it is a delicious crust.) Domino's is the crappo di crappi of pizza here.

The guy from Joco at the Wednesday tianguis makes a fairly good slice of pie. I used to get Valenciana takeout, but haven't had it for a long while. Toscana pizza isn't really pizza to me, although it's very good.

Jaykay, Perry's is on Guadalupe Victoria in Ajijic. If you turn toward the lake at the west end of Plaza Bouganvillas and take your first right, it's roughly 2 blocks ahead on your left. The sign is pretty easy to see. We tried the pizza for the first time on Saturday. Took one to go because we were in the neighborhood but not hungry yet. It was good!

Thanks datura. My wife and I will give it a try this coming week. She is a New York pizza freak, so if she likes it, it will have been good. I also heard that there are some other interesting goodies on the menu. Certainly worth our time to give it a try. Lord, the restaurant business is risky. So many have come and gone in ten years.

Archived