Chapala.com Webboard

Roku 3 tips

If you want the widest choices on Netflix and access to Amazon Prime, look into unblock-us.com it allows switching from country to country on Netflix so you can get programming not otherwise available. You have to be careful how you set it up and register for Netflix -- follow the directions on the unblock-us.com website. You may also have to make some change to your router or get a more programmable router in order to block some of the domain name server (DNS) addresses now programmed into Roku. unblock-us.com is similar to VPN services except that it only spoofs an address when the service looks for location. That means that you won't experience a decrease in speed which can happen when using a VPN.

Or, like many folks I know, you can stick with just the Netflix Mexico and not be bothered with all of this.

• 6 months later...

I used Unblock-us last summer (about the time you were having this discussion) with great success. Installed on a Mexican router I purchased at Walmart and had no problems. We're back and I've reactivated. Now, however, we're in a different location and am unable to stream some content. For example, everything on PBS comes back with "this video is not available at this time. Please try again later." In addition, I'm unable to access the router via it's ISP address. I'm wondering if all this is due to the fact that we're now on an Infinitum modem, which I believe is DSL. Any advice?

Just be aware that all content providers are actively working to defeat these solutions most of us use. This may or may not have anything to do with your individual problem.

Understand. My real question is "is it possible to use Unblock us or another VPN provider with the Infinitum system?" If so, I'd love a recommendation.

Unblock US is not a true VPN. It is a DNS server that provides access to specific content, such as Netflix, etc. I have Unblock US and a Telmex modem and it works fine. But ff you want a true VPN that enables you to get content in various countries that would otherwise nit be available you need a VPN such as Strong VPN or Tunnel Bear, which is what I use. There are a large number of VPN services available. Just ask Mrs. Google! That said, yes some services such as Netflix have indicated they are trying to block the use of VPNs. There has been a lot in the news recently on this.

We are successfully using unlocator.com with U.S. Netflx and so far are not having any problems.

I don't believe you can directly access the Infinitum router to make the changes required for this setup to work through the router directly. We have another router plugged into the Infinitum for our WiFi and wired network. And we can access the settings on that router to make the changes.

For unlocator you also have the option of entering the required settings on each device - smart tv, iPad, Roku, etc. Therefore, it seems like you should be able to make this work even with just the Infinitum router without a secondary router. There are instructions on the unlocator website for various routers, smart tvs and other devices including Roku boxes.

One last comment - using the approach of managing the settings on each individual device you have to deal with updating the settings every time the system assigns a new IP address to that device - like when the device and/or the router reboots. There are some instructions on the unlocator site to deal with this - seems like they have some code or a tool that will deal with this and of course you could look at setting up a static IP address on the Roku box and other devices.

I don't have a Roku box - yet - but plan to get one next trip NOB for use with an older TV. We are currently using unlocator with both Infinitum and Telecable on a smart tv, iPads and laptops. For both Infinitum and Telecable we have our own routers sitting in front of the provider's box.

We are successfully using unlocator.com with U.S. Netflx and so far are not having any problems

I don't believe you can directly access the Infinitum router to make the changes required for this setup to work through the router directly. We have another router plugged into the Infinitum for our WiFi and wired network. And we can access the settings on that router to make the changes.

You can access the Telmex modem by typing 192.168.1.254 in your web browser. The log in window appears with the user name TELMEX. The password is the WPA key printed on the modem. With a bit of luck you can change the menu to English and then change the DNS settings to those realized by Unblock-US. However, I know several people who have purchased a separate router and have it connected after the Telmex modem and then changed the DNS there, as mentioned by other posters.

Changing the DNS settings in an Infinitum router (for Unlocator and others) works only for devices connected to it via ethernet cable, which is basically your PC.

The DNS setting in my Telmex modem have been changed to the Unblock US setting. I stream wirelessly to my Roku with no problem. That said, I will probably get a modem and install it downstream from the Telmex modem

I use a Roku 3 here and have a Canadian Netflix account - connected to the Telmex Infinitum modem with a LAN cable.. I receive Netflix MX here with it and I don't really notice any difference other than a few additional Spanish films are available. Don't think it is such a big deal to bother with DNS spoofers. The account still works fine. What am I missing by using Netflix MX instead of Netflix CDN?

Definitely a few differences between Netflix USA and Netflix Mexico, Don't know about what is available or not available on Netflix Canada that you can't get on the Mexico version.

For us there are a few shows available on Netflix USA that we can't get on Netflix Mexico but agree there is lots of good content on the Mexico version. But we do lose a few things that we are interested in so worth the effort - for us. Doesn't cost that much and seamless once it is set up. YMMV.

Archived