Chapala.com Webboard

Ordering an unlocked cell phone from US?

Has anyone ever ordered a cell phone from Amazon, or a similar site, and had it shipped to lakeside?

I'm trying to determine what taxes (maybe the standard 16% VAT) and more importantly, what duties Customs might extract from my hide? If you have done this, how did you pay for those?

In case it matters, the value of the phone in question is $869 US.

Even with any added taxes and duties it still might be worthwhile based on the HUGE differential between TelCel prices vs. the MUCH lower prices NOB.

Thanks for any input/insight that you might have.

Estafeta USA in Houston ships stuff for us all the time. We have a box coming on Wednesday. Why not write to them and specifically to Mariana Tejeda and give her the specifics of the phone, price, weight, etc. and she should be able to give you a firm delivered price that will include the duty. No surprises and a tracking number that goes live once it clears Customs in NL. Then if you like the price you can have the phone shipped to her, you call her with a CC number and that's it. She will probably also include in her price insurance for that type of item, make sure to ask for it.

http://mariana.tejeda@estafetausa.com>

We love the service and her price is always guaranteed.

There is a recent topic on this board ...Money Saving Tips....it is currently at 4 pages. Amazon will ship free to your home with no duty. Best you read it to get a lot more info.

Joyfull, yes I have read that post in it's entirety. :-) I posted my inquiry shortly before I came upon that thread. Very hopeful indeed. I will hold off until I know more about the Amazon plan next Tuesday. So many of the items on Amazon are not fulfilled directly by Amazon, so not everything will be available even if it all falls in place for other items. I did email one such 3rd party about shipping a phone to Mexico, and they said "you're on own with regard to customs." :-/

Thanks!

Try and find someone you know who is coming down from up North...Have the phone shipped to them and have them bring it..NO Duty, no problem..

A friend of mine is making a fast turnaround trip to Phoenix July 9-13 to bring down a few items. So far he only has one tablet to bring in plus his own cell phone, so he can bring one more wireless device/phone in without paying duty. PM me if you'd like more details.

I notice Amazon Mexico today has an unlocked iPhone 6, 16GB offered for $8999 with free delivery. It looks to be a daily special only today.

I bought an unlocked phone, a Samsung Windows 7 phone. Had nothing but trouble with it. Luckily I lost it in on Isle Mujeres, off of Cancun. Came back here and bought a new Samsung Gaxaly Grand Prime for $580 pesos on special at Tel Cel at Laguna Mall. I had to purchase a data plan for $399 a month which was EXACTLY what I was paying with the old phone. Have not had a problem with it at all. it's a great phone. So, my unsolicited advice would be, why fool around with an unlocked phone, if you live here. Tel Cel is always having specials. And, oh yeah, I was able to keep my same phone number. Incidentally the phone had a price tag of $3599 pesos.

I have been buying unlocked iPhones for me or friends for years, I go north several times per year. The first year an unlocked iPhone was only available in Canada, a short drive north for me. Later I could also get them at the Seattle iPhone store. I've never had a problem with any of the unlocked phones I brought down from Canada or the US. And When I occasionally checked prices they were always cheaper up North.

Just my experience.

Might the price you are quoting, be tied to a cellphone carrier and plan which would make it locked?

Archived