Chapala.com Webboard

Bringing personal collection of jewelry in by plane

Nettie

I am visiting the states next month and would like to bring back some of my personal jewelry. Nothing really valuable, but quite a bit of silver. It is old stuff and I have temporal residency. Am I allowed to bring this through customs without duty at Guadalahara airport? Is there some way to declare it as personal property in case I get buzzed to be search upon arrival?

it is best not to show off your jewelry by wearing it out so people can see. If you pack it in your suitcase you will probably never see it again. And never advertise the fact that you have jewelery at all. You are inviting trouble. I would leave it home. Folks don´t show off their jewelry here except maybe on one special occasion a year. And there is no safe place to store it unless you have a built in floor or wall safe. Not worth the worry.

it is best not to show off your jewelry by wearing it out so people can see. If you pack it in your suitcase you will probably never see it again. And never advertise the fact that you have jewelery at all. You are inviting trouble. I would leave it home. Folks don´t show off their jewelry here except maybe on one special occasion a year. And there is no safe place to store it unless you have a built in floor or wall safe. Not worth the worry.

Yes, I agree. If you must bring it back do so in your carry on, walk through customs, smile and say hola. If you are talking thousands of dollars worth of stuff you should make more than one trip. Oh yes, you better get a REALLY good safe that is bolted down too!

Yes, I agree. If you must bring it back do so in your carry on, walk through customs, smile and say hola. If you are talking thousands of dollars worth of stuff you should make more than one trip. Oh yes, you better get a REALLY good safe that is bolted down too!

And even then you can't be sure. I had a friend who was away from home for 4 hours and when she returned her floor safe had been hammered and crow-barred out of the floor and carried away. If they want something, there is absolutely no way to keep it safe. Therefore, don't appear to have anything that anyone wants.

What all the others said, between maids with sticky hands and their junkie boyfriends, it isnt worth it, also be careful to declare it if needed if you exceed 10,000 dollars as Mexicos laws are written funny.

Guest bennie2

el menudo, sometimes people may think they are on a different board, if you know what i mean. when im on twitter, i avoid coming here. im in top form, so its unacceptable. back on topic: the OP said her jewelery is not valuable, just some silver. (value is by the once or gram). dont see what the big deal is. wear some of it traveling, pack the rest in carryon. maybe leave some @ home. make sure its not worth anything near the amount which is mexicos limit. dont leave a maid alone in your house. spencer is right about that info. lock your closet. ive traveled back& forth w/more valubles than that. if you cant even have a few pieces of silver there's something wrong w/this picture. enjoy your trip.

Why do so many of your posts get deleted? Do you think better of it and do so or what?

Sometimes my fingers just fly across the keyboard in response to some of the moronic,offensive posts that I read on these forums and then I realize that my response probably doesn't conform to the forum rules,so I delete them.

Any other questions,menudo?

Guest bennie2

and all this time i thought bennie2 was over the top. smart thinking. we all need to chill @ times, follow the rules. lakeside can be different than guad, we have a different experience.

Sometimes my fingers just fly across the keyboard in response to some of the moronic,offensive posts that I read on these forums and then I realize that my response probably doesn't conform to the forum rules,so I delete them.

Any other questions,menudo?

No. That's all. Thanks precious.

• 2 weeks later...

Do not worry so much about having your silver jewelry stolen, unless it is very valuable or precious for another reason. It is useless and un appreciated sitting, safely in a box somewhere. it was made to be enjoyed. If you love wearing it.... bring it. Aduana could care less, in my experience. I have brought a lot.... a large zip lock bag, full of smaller zip lock bags, packed with costume and silver jewelry. Customs guys never even took a close look. (I gave a lot of it away once I got here)

It is safe to wear silver jewelry. It is popular and readily available. How I decide what to bring is this: I ask myself...."how would you feel if this was stolen or lost?" If it does not give me a stomach ache.... I bring it. It is just stuff. You can't take it with you when you die.... so just bring it and wear it every day.

If someone wants to break in and steal it..... oh well. Life will go on. However..... a life without a little bling would be boring, so go for it!

Note: I agree about not wearing flashy jewelry... such as gold and diamonds. Silver gets you little at a pawn shop... Gold is another story.

Archived