Chapala.com Webboard

Ensenada??

The distance between the two cities is about 40 miles - so I think you can assume since both are on the ocean, the climate would be the same.

As for air conditioning - most of the folks in rosarito typically don't have air conditioning - same for ensenada. ( And it is not that hot). CFE DAC rates are in place there - just like at lakeside. A problem is the cold - much colder in winter than lakeside.

If you want more information about the area, you might try facebook groups. That area uses facebook primarily - and there is no informative webboards. For your questions about the Rosarito/Ensenada area, try facebook find it here baja norte - as there is a friendly group of people on that board from Rosarito and Ensenada.

As for Rosaritio - and your friends not liking it - Rosarito is a border town - great party town if that is what you are into. It is 50 km long - and many us residents are part time in the condo's that line the shore. From my experience, a number of people that like rosarito have San Diego relationships - as there really isn't much of an expat infrastructure like at Lakeside. If you want a more true mexican experience, Ensenada would provide that. A problem with living there is that you may or may not have quick access to the border - depends on the road condition. Right now it is fixed - but the road does have problems - so if it gives out again - you could easily end up with a 3 hour drive to the border again.

One ensenada area restaurant (in Valle de Guadalupe) has one that made the top 10 list - here is another article - http://www.winemag.com/February-2014/10-Best-Wine-Travel-Destinations-2014/index.php/slide/Valle-de-Guadalupe-Baja-California--Mexico/cparticle/3

As for Rosarito, I wasn't impressed - and neither were chapala friends that moved their shortly before I did - we have both since left.

For more info - https://www.facebook.com/groups/474150309297162/

The distance between the two cities is about 40 miles - so I think you can assume since both are on the ocean, the climate would be the same.

As for air conditioning - most of the folks in rosarito typically don't have air conditioning - same for ensenada. ( And it is not that hot). CFE DAC rates are in place there - just like at lakeside. A problem is the cold - much colder in winter than lakeside.

If you want more information about the area, you might try facebook groups. That area uses facebook primarily - and there is no informative webboards. For your questions about the Rosarito/Ensenada area, try facebook find it here baja norte - as there is a friendly group of people on that board from Rosarito and Ensenada.

As for Rosaritio - and your friends not liking it - Rosarito is a border town - great party town if that is what you are into. It is 50 km long - and many us residents are part time in the condo's that line the shore. From my experience, a number of people that like rosarito have San Diego relationships - as there really isn't much of an expat infrastructure like at Lakeside. If you want a more true mexican experience, Ensenada would provide that. A problem with living there is that you may or may not have quick access to the border - depends on the road condition. Right now it is fixed - but the road does have problems - so if it gives out again - you could easily end up with a 3 hour drive to the border again.

One ensenada area restaurant (in Valle de Guadalupe) has one that made the top 10 list - here is another article - http://www.winemag.com/February-2014/10-Best-Wine-Travel-Destinations-2014/index.php/slide/Valle-de-Guadalupe-Baja-California--Mexico/cparticle/3

As for Rosarito, I wasn't impressed - and neither were chapala friends that moved their shortly before I did - we have both since left.

For more info - https://www.facebook.com/groups/474150309297162/

We lived south of Ensenada for about a year its not hot ( if living near the water ) the ocean breeze coming off the water is cool I like living close to the boarder I had family just north of S D it is a different atmosphere than here in Chapala more of a party crowd I really liked the fish market in Ensenada fresh right off the boats we moved to Chapala because my S O had children in guard all in all the weather here is much more enjoyable that's my 2 centavos

Regards

If you liked the fish market in ensenada, you may really like the fish market in Guadalajara - maybe twice as large (at least that is what my memory says). Every once in awhile some group has a trip to the Guadalajara Fish Market - I think I went on one of Wendy's ACA's trips - I couldn't believe the amount of shrimp for sale - it was huge. Visited the Ensenada fish market late last year.

If you liked the fish market in ensenada, you may really like the fish market in Guadalajara - maybe twice as large (at least that is what my memory says). Every once in awhile some group has a trip to the Guadalajara Fish Market - I think I went on one of Wendy's ACA's trips - I couldn't believe the amount of shrimp for sale - it was huge. Visited the Ensenada fish market late last year.

Guadalajara Fish Market, regardless of its size, I would think the fish etc in the Ensenada market would be fresher and cheaper???

Guadalajara Fish Market, regardless of its size, I would think the fish etc in the Ensenada market would be fresher and cheaper???

I didn't purchase any fish at the ensenada market - as the day we were there, it didn't look like the fish was iced very well - and yes, ensenada is closer to the ocean - so a bunch of things come into play - plus guadalajara probably serves a much larger market - so more fish

I am from San Diego and have been to Ensenada many times. We camp just north of Ensenada and buy our fish daily from the market, bring it back to camp and feast on the best and freshest seafood you can imagine! Ensenada is very different than Lakeside. Weather is great, not as good as Lakeside, but still great. It's almost a border town, so you get that Mexican feel, but there is still plenty of US influence. The downtown area is filled with tourists from the cruise ships and all of the associated trinket-vendors, but there are places south, where I have also camped, that are away from all that (near La Bufadora). Check out:

http://forums.bajanomad.com/

and get all the info you would ever want. Rosarito is a much smaller town and, as mentioned, more of a gringo party town with bars, strip clubs and music going all night. Good luck!

Archived