Chapala.com Webboard

U.S. Notary

http://guadalajara.usconsulate.gov/service/other-citizen-services/notarials.html

NOTE: Beginning July 1st, all notary services will require an appointment in order to provide faster and more personalized service to you at the Consulate. You may receive a maximum of two (2) notary signatures during each appointment. If you require more signatures, you must make more than one appointment. For example, if you have a document that requires seven (7) signatures, you must make four (4) appointments. Click here to make an appointment.

• We advise arriving at the Consulate 15 minutes before your appointment to go through security screening. For a list of prohibited items, click here.
  • For a list of the dates the American Citizen Services Section is CLOSED, please click here.
  • The Consulate does not provide any documents. You must bring all of your own documents, and all documents must be completed (except for the required signatures) before you enter the Consulate. If your documents are not completed at the time of your appointment or you do not have the documents you wish to have notarized or you do not have valid ID, we cannot honor your appointment.
  • The Consulate's notarial services do not include printing or shipping any documents.
  • If you require copies of any documents (such as your ID) to be attached to the documents being notarized, you should bring them; otherwise you will be charged $1.00 USD for each copy.
  • You must arrange for your own witnesses, if necessary. The U.S. Consulate General Guadalajara can only notarize signatures, and cannot vouch for the veracity of the content or the authenticity of a notarized document.

Please bring the documents to be notarized, proof of identity such as a passport or driver's license, and cash in U.S. dollars or the Mexican equivalent. Each notarial service costs $50 USD. Payment must be made in cash, either U.S. dollars or the Mexican peso equivalent, or with a major credit card. Credit cards will be charged in U.S. dollars. Checks cannot be accepted. Damaged bills or bills lacking security features will not be accepted.

Information regarding authentication or legalization of documents, including how to obtain an apostille, is available on the Notarial And Authentication Services page of the U.S. Department of State's website.

Contact acsgdl@state.gov if you need more information.

For the remainder of June 2015, notarial services will not require an appointment and will be taken on a walk-in basis from 2:00 – 2:45 pm Monday through Thursday.

I have heard that their are some US notaries down here that still have non expired notary stamps. The document I need notarized doesn't require it to be from a specific state or county. If there is such a person here I would appreciate a name/phone number or email address. Thank you.

I have heard that their are some US notaries down here that still have non expired notary stamps. The document I need notarized doesn't require it to be from a specific state or county. If there is such a person here I would appreciate a name/phone number or email address. Thank you.

It is not legal to do that. Once outside his home jurisdiction (the issuing authority) a US notary may not act. They all know that, but some try to get your pesos anyway. The document could be challenged.

Use a Mexican Notario. It is perfectly legal and authorized by treaty, in spite of what some small town yahoos may claim.

My wife was a US Lawyer, Real Estate Broker, US state (Oregon) Notary and a mobile notary concentrating on Real Estate Business. While always exceptions to the rule no state notary can sign outside of the state that they are licensed in. No state allows you to sign in Mexico. Yes Corporate signing in some states are different but that's not what we are talking about. When a Notary signs they records where it is signed and it will be in the logbook. Go to Consulate or use a Mexican notary no matter what a pain it is.

Does the US Consulate notary visit LCS or if needed do we have to go to Guadalajara?

Yes, the US consulate does provide notary service while at LCS.

Note the info above from ajijiccharlie re prices, etc. This info is correct.

I have used Mexican notaries many times with no problems.

As have I. It was to get an extension on my Arizona drivers license. I think it varies you need to check if they will accept it. I can't find the name sorry. It was on the mtn side just past the Corona place first or second street in the first block up from carretera. Well marked outside Noteria #2. Pretty well known. My hairdresser told me about it.

It will save you neither time nor money to use a cosular notary. Just walk into any local notaria and, if he is there, the notario will take care of it for you. The folks in the USA will accept it; they have to. If they hesitate, tell them to ask a lawyer with experience in such matters. I have never asked if a Mexican notarization would be accepted. Just did it and sent it. It was always accepted without question. Their holographic seals are truly impressive too.

When I sold my house in Oregon last year I was told I needed to use the notary at the consulate. Leave your cell phone home as they won't let you in with it. There is a restaurant across the street that will hold it in a Ziploc for you for 17 pesos. If you don't want the hassle of the drive, take a taxi. They know where at the building you need to go. We lined up outside an entrance.

Whoever told you that led you astray. You could have used a local notario and been done in minutes.

When I sold my home in Florida, the person that calls the shots, the closing attorney, said to use the consulate or come to the closing.

For non-real property transactions I would use whoever is most convenient.

I've sent you a PM.

The title company in California that closed on my house sale also insisted I had to use the consulate notary and couldn't use a Mexican notary. They may have been wrong legally but they wouldn't accept a Mexican notarization so I had no choice.

I used the consulate service that comes to LCS which happened to work out well for me in timing so it was no problem and conveniently located for me also.

The only hassle was that I had to get a USA cashier's check because they couldn't accept cash or personal checks. And the only bank around here that could issue those can no longer do so. Spencer has commented on this once or twice in other posts. So I'm not sure the LCS option is viable right now or if the notaries are even coming in July for this reason. More info here: http://lakechapalasociety.com/weebly/us-consulate.html

Archived