Chapala.com Webboard

Received offer from Microsoft for free Windows 10

The deal is "one year free, then we will rent it to you forever".

No one has said what the rent will be.

No thanks.............

Windows 10 Insiders (anyone who is currently using the Windows 10 Preview builds) will receive a direct upgrade to the final release of the operating system and that copy will remain valid indefinitely. Even if you decide to clean install later, you get your free copy of Windows 10.

The download will install Windows 10 Preview build and it will install over a non-validated copy of Win 7. The install can keep all your programs and personal info. I am running it and found it satisfying.

Resistance to Windows 10 is futile :D

The deal is "one year free, then we will rent it to you forever".

No one has said what the rent will be.

No thanks.............

There was some poorly written info in the press releases but what I'm getting from researching this is that IF you currently have 7, 8 or 8.1 AND you upgrade within a year, there is no charge. Some relevant quotes:

"For Windows 7 and 8.1 users, Windows 10 will be free for one year. After that period – not to mention for standalone copies of the OS – the asking price starts at $119."

"Microsoft clarified the free upgrade offer for Windows 10, adding that Windows 10 Home and Pro will be available for free to Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 users that have appropriate licenses (presumably, Windows 8.1 Home users will only be able to upgrade to Windows 10 Home)."

http://www.techradar.com/us/news/software/operating-systems/windows-10-release-date-price-news-and-features-1029245

Windows 7 users: don't rush to get the upgrade. It's very, very different. And I imagine there will be lots of bugs to iron out for several months after the release, as users discover problems that Microsoft did not.

Not interested in the upgrade. Removed the update which prompts me to get it so I don't have to look at it. Windows is synonymous with buggy releases. If you're going to consider getting it, wait 11.5 months, see if they've worked out the major kinks. Sigh. Sad that the computer industry decided that releasing a half-finished product was a perfectly acceptable business practice.

Archived