Chapala.com Webboard

Rotator Cuff Problem

I recommend Dr. Herridia in Chapala.

The first thing he did was give me a shot of Lydocaine in my upper arm.

Within minutes I could move my arm so that I could do exercizes that he gave me.

Within a few weeks doing exercizes I had no problem anymore.

maw

From my experience only, not a doc, I would do EVERYTHING to avoid shoulder surgery. I had to have it eventually but it was the most painful surgery I have ever had and the pain lasted a loooong time! I have had emergency gall bladder surgery, traumatic amputation of a finger and other surgeries and nothing was as bad as shoulder surgery. Avoid if you possibly can.

Some years ago I was diagnosed with a rotator cuff painful problem with an ultra sound.

Dr. Leon lead me slowly through a gradually exercise program, heat application, and a shot. Also oral non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug. I successfully completed the program and have not needed surgery. I need to be careful with using that arm. When I make a mistake I can feel pain in the shoulder. I back off and take a drug like Celebrex (or generic Celocoxib) 200 mg. once or twice (every 12 hours) daily.

i had rotator cuff injuries in both shoulders. Went with doctor's recommendation for physical therapy.... exercise... instead of surgery and very thankful for that. I don't recommend chiropractic for this, orthopedic doctors have a wider range of treatments available and generally are better at diagnosis..

Thanks all, for the information. My husband is going through this; fell and dislocated his shoulder over two months ago. Has been doing exercises for this, but it's slow.

Just FYI, Celebrex was taken off the market in the U.S. due to side effects.

Naproxeno Sodico paracetamol (generic name, OTC) sold everywhere, is a good drug for inflammation.

Just FYI, Celebrex was taken off the market in the U.S. due to side effects.

Not so!

All prescription NSAIDs, like CELEBREX, ibuprofen, naproxen, and meloxicam have the same cardiovascular warning. They may all increase the chance of heart attack or stroke that can lead to death. This chance increases if you have heart disease or risk factors for it, such as high blood pressure or when NSAIDs are taken for long periods.

https://www.celebrex.com/default.aspx

Not so!

All prescription NSAIDs, like CELEBREX, ibuprofen, naproxen, and meloxicam have the same cardiovascular warning. They may all increase the chance of heart attack or stroke that can lead to death. This chance increases if you have heart disease or risk factors for it, such as high blood pressure or when NSAIDs are taken for long periods.

https://www.celebrex.com/default.aspx

I was misinformed re Celebrex being taken off the market in the U.S. Thanks for the correction.

However, the OTC medicine I mentioned in my post does not require a prescription. Like many other medicines, it is not a good idea to take it on a regular basis for a long period of time.

Try Dr. Victor Youcha he is not your normal Chiropractor and he is not a violent chiropractor! Never trusted one til I met him. I admit I am friends with him for what that is worth. Avoid surgery!!

NSAIDS drift below

NSAIDS can be wonderful things and they have a valuable place but they not to be taken on a regular basis for a long period of time. They have already lowered the doses for some of them after damage to peoples health from NSAIDS in certain conditions of daily use. Save the NSAIDS til you really need them!! Not trying to scare anyone just please read about NSAIDS before taking them on a regular basis. Go back to older solution for pain relief if you can. Yes I know some folks get real relief from NSAIDS but not everybody needs them. Avoid them if you can.

Gringal: Naproxeno etc etc is called Aleve in US and is an NSAID sold over the counter like Advil. Generic versions are available all over and very cheap in US. I agree that Aleve works better than Advil for me on muscular type soreness. Advil is sold in Mexico Aleve is not so it is expensive. FYI Does Dr Simi sell Naproxeno etc etc

at the generic drug store on the Carraterra in Ajijic? Might save some money.

The strongest OTC pain reliever available in Mexico is Tramadol (Ultram). It is not a NSAID and not an anti-inflammatory. It is a weak opioid good for moderate to sever pain. My doctor (US) took me off NSAIDs in favor of it.

I too have had rotator cuff problems and after hearing about the surgical consequences opted for cortisone injections and rest. Each shoulder took 5 to 6 months to heal.

I would not waste my time and money for any chiropractor, gentle or rough. They only treat problems that will go away with them or without them.

As of August 2014, the DEA (Drug Enforcement Administration) lists Tramadol as a Schedule IV Controlled Substance.

Try Dr. Victor Youcha he is not your normal Chiropractor and he is not a violent chiropractor! Never trusted one til I met him. I admit I am friends with him for what that is worth. Avoid surgery!!

NSAIDS drift below

NSAIDS can be wonderful things and they have a valuable place but they not to be taken on a regular basis for a long period of time. They have already lowered the doses for some of them after damage to peoples health from NSAIDS in certain conditions of daily use. Save the NSAIDS til you really need them!! Not trying to scare anyone just please read about NSAIDS before taking them on a regular basis. Go back to older solution for pain relief if you can. Yes I know some folks get real relief from NSAIDS but not everybody needs them. Avoid them if you can.

Gringal: Naproxeno etc etc is called Aleve in US and is an NSAID sold over the counter like Advil. Generic versions are available all over and very cheap in US. I agree that Aleve works better than Advil for me on muscular type soreness. Advil is sold in Mexico Aleve is not so it is expensive. FYI Does Dr Simi sell Naproxeno etc etc

at the generic drug store on the Carraterra in Ajijic? Might save some money.

The medication I recommended is very inexpensive under it's generic name (first post) and quite a lot more under the Aleve brand name, in Mexico.

I use it rarely when my back "goes out" and sometimes, it works. Depends. By "rarely" I mean a few days in a month, one tablet. NSAIDS are particularly dangerous for older people.

When I said that Celebrex had been banned, I was incorrect, but upon checking the history on Senor Google, it was close; since for a while, the advertising was banned, then later resumed, (lobby, maybe?) and there's been a history of attempts to ban it altogether. It was first prescribed to me by my primary care doctor in the States. My eyeballs turned yellow; I was walking into walls. Needless to say, I quit taking it.

I suppose different people experience different symptoms......and.they would surely notice those ! :o Since I wasn't taking any other drugs, I had to blame it on Celebrex and my particular body. It was also very pricey at the time. Bad combo....si.

I want to thank each of you for your helpful info. Did some research on intrnet and found that acupuncture helps in some cases--twice a week for four weks. Have been to Dr Herredia for acupuncture before (it worked for my problem) and believe I will try that. Will definitely stay away from surgery--sounds like a case of cure being worse than the disease! Again, many thanks.

Tramadol is a pure pain reliever.

The NSAID (Celebrex, Aleve (Naproxen), etc.) have one far more important component, besides pain relief, when treating something like a rotator cuff, etc. ......anti-inflammatory. This is what will help treat the basic problem over time.

People with arthritis who took these drugs for years are the unfortunate ones who developed the cardiac problems.

Taking them for days, or a couple of weeks, is fine provided there is no underlying cardiac problems.

Just remember only take one of these types of drugs....do not take Tylenol and another NSAID. Tylenol is found as a component in many over-the-counter medications. Beware.

Please, instead of taking NSAIDs orally - try the rub-on cream with diclofenac (also an NSAID). It's called Voltaren and costs about 95 pesos a tube, and you don't need a prescription for it. You can apply it directly to sore, inflamed joints and muscles and it truly helps. We call it "magic cream". It does not go through your digestive/circulatory system and thus avoids many of the problems of the orally ingested NSAIDs.

Believe me, I've been through the mill on these. I took Celebrex for years and loved it dearly, it gave me such an increase in mobility. But, I developed cardiac symptoms and had to quit it. Voltaren has been a tremendous help. And, it has helped with my rotator cuff issues (to get back to the original thread), among others.

BTW - Voltaren is approved for people in Mexico and Canada; but only for veterinarian use in the U.S., where it costs $100 USD/tube when bought through a vet. Only bought it once up there, for a seriously lame horse. Down here, we keep it in our stables as well as our home. One of my horses is arthritic in his hind legs -- when I walk up to him carrying a tube of Voltaren, he lifts a hind leg and waves it frantically in the air. Scared me at first, but I finally figured out that he was cheering madly to have the Voltaren applied to his leg.

BTW - Voltaren is approved for people in Mexico and Canada; but only for veterinarian use in the U.S.

Another US falsehood. I went to a pain doctor (US) for lower back pain and he prescribed the Voltaren Gel 1%. He may have been an Iranian, but surely not a veterinarian. It was quite expensive, even with insurance, but had the blessing from my other doctors that have me taking no NSAIDs. By prescription only in the US.

http://voltarengel.com/consumer/default.aspx

Voltaren gel is avail in MX in both 1% and 2% strengths, the 2% is higher priced and stated for 1x / 12 hours only.

There is also generic diclofen sodium gel (1%) in MX for a lot less, about 25 pesos / tube, ask at the farmacia counter.

Another US falsehood. I went to a pain doctor (US) for lower back pain and he prescribed the Voltaren Gel 1%. He may have been an Iranian, but surely not a veterinarian. It was quite expensive, even with insurance, but had the blessing from my other doctors that have me taking no NSAIDs. By prescription only in the US.

http://voltarengel.com/consumer/default.aspx

Nice to hear. Sorry for the outdated info. It's been close to a decade since I bought it in the US.

Archived