Chapala.com Webboard

Money saving tip: Bed, Bath and way beyond via Amazon - WHAT a deal!

Yesterday while looking at the American Amazon site, I noticed that free shipping to Mexico is now on purchases of only $65 rather than $125! I thought that was pretty interesting at a time when you would think they would want to encourage customers to use the Mexican site, but considering that the prices are much lower and the selection much greater on the American site, it seems to be the one to use.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They are separate entities; Amazon USA and Amazon Mexico, just as Amazon UK is completely separate. They do not interact and may actually compete. I suspect that is what you are seeing now.

I have had Amazon packages shipped directly to me at IShop and was surprised to see that they may have been weighed and counted against my estimated usage. The other day I stopped in and inquired and was told that this information is not correct. Don't take my word for it because sometimes the language barrier works against my understanding but I was speaking to an English speaking employee.

I don't see why it wouldn't work to their Mexican address the same. Remember if you're a boxholder there, they're going to weigh the packages and count it against your monthly kilo allowance which could incur overage charges. If you're not a boxholder there, you'd have to inquire as to what they'd charge to receive your package for you. Having it delivered to your door eliminates either issue.

Not looking for free for which, I believe, you need a minimum of $125. Francine and others refer to "reasonable" shipping charges. The item I am trying to purchase is a little over 2 lbs which would make the charge a little under $18 per pound. I have been on the phone with Amazon for quite a long time and am back on hold. For me this is a labor of love. I love using Amazon and if I learn what I need to do for reasonable shipping, I will be a happy camper.

After a long time on the phone I still have no solution. My shipping charge was reduced from $37.33 to $7 for my "trouble". That is nice but I have no long term solution.

I also mentioned the $65 free global shipping and was told the policy is still $125. However, when exploring further the web site clearly says $65 for Mexico. As I understand it purchases under $50 avoid customs so the customs charges may eat up the savings.

Appreciate hearing from others.

I ordered a scanner and a few other items from Amazon recently, The weight was 13lbs., no duty was charged, time from order to delivery was 5 days. Shipping charge was $34US. I was totally satisfied. BTW, size of package affects shipping charges. What's size of the dog bed?

Bed is 32"x 20". Should be able to be folded into smaller but I have noticed that it doesn't usually happen. I just tested another dog bed. This one smaller and can definitely be rolled. The cost slightly higher and the shipping charge more then doubles the cost. I know there is something I am missing.

I have found that if the item is warehoused and shipped by Amazon, the shipping charge is reasonable. Twice I ordered a product that was actually to be shipped from the manufacturer or another company and the shipping charge was way too much and more than the item itself. Amazon just took the order and payment. So now I only purchase when it states filled and shipped by Amazon.

I have found that if the item is warehoused and shipped by Amazon, the shipping charge is reasonable. Twice I ordered a product that was actually to be shipped from the manufacturer or another company and the shipping charge was way too much and more than the item itself. Amazon just took the order and payment. So now I only purchase when it states filled and shipped by Amazon.

Thanks, interesting observation.

What are the customs charges if you use the free shipping over $125.00? Do you have to use Sol y Luna or can items be shipped to your home address?

So far no duty has been charged, read above. You can ship to any address. I use my mailbox address for two reasons; someone is always there during business hours to receive the shipment and the courier companies (DHL, FedEx) know where they are located. Many residencial addresses here can be hard to find.

I ordered a scanner and a few other items from Amazon recently, The weight was 13lbs., no duty was charged, time from order to delivery was 5 days. Shipping charge was $34US. I was totally satisfied. BTW, size of package affects shipping charges. What's size of the dog bed?

Which delivery company El?

Since my recent move from lower La Floresta to Upper La Floresta, UPS has notified me that my address is incorrect twice and refused my shipment. It's funny because DHL has found my new address several times now without a problem. As I always meet the delivery guy with a cold can of coke, it must be that the DHL fellow likes his soda more than the UPS man.

Since my recent move from lower La Floresta to Upper La Floresta, UPS has notified me that my address is incorrect twice and refused my shipment. It's funny because DHL has found my new address several times now without a problem. As I always meet the delivery guy with a cold can of coke, it must be that the DHL fellow likes his soda more than the UPS man.

I've found ESTAFETA to be the most reliable service.

Is there a special section to go to or something? I just attempted to place an order of 3 items from Amazon, and was informed that none of the 3 could be shipped to Mexico.

It's not foolproof, but here's what you can do to help you find the stuff that ships to Mexico:

1. Register your Mexican address (where you want it shipped) as your DEFAULT address

2. When you bring up a list of products on a search you'll see filters down the left side. You will see a heading "International Shipping" and if you have registered your address properly, under that will be a checkbox that says "Ship to Mexico". Check the checkbox and it will filter your search list down to items that ship to Mexico.

Unfortunately this is NOT foolproof but it gets you part of the way there. Now as you pull up the detail page for each product you're interested in you'll see in the description whether or not it ships to Ajijic (or Chapala or whatever), Mexico (the city from your default address).

If it says it ships to Mexico you can put it in your cart. Still not foolproof -- you may still find out when completing the order that some products can't actually be shipped to Mexico or that you need a special import license (which we found when we tried to bring in Mosquito Dunks). But 90% of the time this has worked fine for me.

I have received three items recently from DHL and one from Estafeta. In the past I've received from UPS. I've never had a problem with any of them.

Personally I prefer DHL so far because if they can't deliver it and you want to go pick it up, they have an office here in Ajijic. The others return the package to Guadalajara, then try again the next day.

So far all DHL deliveries have been the same kid, and I tip him, so I'm pretty sure he knows my address by now!

For those who have experienced trouble with the driver finding your house, or especially, not being home when the delivery attempt was madeā€¦.

A few months ago I was expecting something at my house in Ajijic, not totally sure I remember which courier, but I think FedEx. The first attempt they left me the little piece of paper saying they'd tried and would try again. I mentioned it to my boss at the office and he told me that if I took that paper to iShop in San Antonio, the driver would leave the package there for no additional charge. When I saw the second piece of paper/attempted delivery, I ran over to iShop immediately (around 1pm in the afternoon). It worked for me on that occasion, the package was left there later that day. And I think ALL the services (FedEx, UPS, DHL, Estafeta) stop at iShop at the end of their afternoon rounds.

It's in nobody's interest for the package to remain on the truck, or get shipped back. The sender and the courier company want it off the truck as much as you want it at your house. Good luck.

Still waiting for iParcel to deliver a small order. Amazon shows out for delivery on July 3rd. iParcel tracking shows received in Mexico on July 3rd and nothing since. Just received a reply from Amazon suggesting I contact iParcel by phone! Really? That's why I pay for Amazon Prime so they take care of things for me. I'm sure whoever I got on the phone will say "looks like it's in Customs". No s***! Informed Amazon I was not happy so we'll see what they do for me. Apparently,iparcel hands packages off to the Mexican Postal Service for final delivery. I wonder who sold Amazon on that deal.,

Archived