Chapala.com Webboard

Money saving tip: Bed, Bath and way beyond via Amazon - WHAT a deal!

It never shows correctly for me either, I always have to contact them and ask what the problem is. They remind me that there is a weight and size of box limitation so that may be their problem. I always ask them to look at the items in my cart and let me know if they will ship for free and I imply if not I won't be buying. So far, they have always said yes and they tell me to buy the items and they will refund the shipping which they have always done. This is for Amazon Prime members. Several times they have even upgraded the shipping method to "compensate for your trouble". I always give their support people 5 stars and use nice language. That company absolutely bends over backwards to see you are happy.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OK.. I BELIEVE I FOUND OUT THE WAY TO HAVE IT SHOW UP...

You must set up your account a certain way, before searching, putting items in your cart and checking out:

If your order is $125 or over and being shipped to Mexico or Singapore, you may qualify for FREE AmazonGlobal Saver Shipping. With AmazonGlobal Saver Shipping, your order will be delivered 9-14 business days after all of your items are available to ship, including pre-order items.

You have to change your shipping address to your mexican address. Make that one your default. Then you have to go into the settings on that address and choose AmazonGlobal Saver Shipping as your shipping speed

After you update your default shipping address, you can search for eligible items by selecting the International Shipping - Ship to Mexico

Then add at least $125 of eligible AmazonGlobal Saver products to your shopping cart.

Select Group my items into as few shipments as possible as your shipping preference

It never shows correctly for me either, I always have to contact them and ask what the problem is. They remind me that there is a weight and size of box limitation so that may be their problem. I always ask them to look at the items in my cart and let me know if they will ship for free and I imply if not I won't be buying. So far, they have always said yes and they tell me to buy the items and they will refund the shipping which they have always done. This is for Amazon Prime members. Several times they have even upgraded the shipping method to "compensate for your trouble". I always give their support people 5 stars and use nice language. That company absolutely bends over backwards to see you are happy.

I just went pretend shopping on Amazon. Went through the entire process on three separate items and then cancelled after order was completed. No additional items are currently being sent directly to Mexico. It is the same as usual for now. However, there was no customs or duty charges on anything that I ordered to be shipped directly here. Shipping and handling only. This is a huge savings. It means that for the items that Amazon sends directly to Mexico, we are paying the same total cost as if we had ordered it in the US, although shipping may be a couple of bucks more, not sure. Duty has been costing me about an additional 20%, so to those of us that usually order direct shipment here, it is like having a hopefully permanent 20% off sale from Amazon!

OK.. I BELIEVE I FOUND OUT THE WAY TO HAVE IT SHOW UP...

You must set up your account a certain way, before searching, putting items in your cart and checking out:

If your order is $125 or over and being shipped to Mexico or Singapore, you may qualify for FREE AmazonGlobal Saver Shipping. With AmazonGlobal Saver Shipping, your order will be delivered 9-14 business days after all of your items are available to ship, including pre-order items.

You have to change your shipping address to your mexican address. Make that one your default. Then you have to go into the settings on that address and choose AmazonGlobal Saver Shipping as your shipping speed

After you update your default shipping address, you can search for eligible items by selecting the International Shipping - Ship to Mexico

Then add at least $125 of eligible AmazonGlobal Saver products to your shopping cart.

Select Group my items into as few shipments as possible as your shipping preference

Thought you had it there! Free global shipping did not used to be one of the choices in your Mexico address so I changed it as you suggested. Then went virtual shopping also and found a camera that ships to Mexico, $199.99, and surely no weight or size issues. They still want $7.86 for shipping when it should say zero. Oh well...... Wait! I just found it!! You also have to select the free shipping option in the screen just before placing your order. I would have thought by changing it in your preferences it would be the default but that wasn't the case. Now it's perfect, no shipping and presumably no duty.

Any experience shipping from Amazon to IShop&Mail (not to Laredo, but directly to their place in San Antonio Tlayacapan?

I don't see why it wouldn't work to their Mexican address the same. Remember if you're a boxholder there, they're going to weigh the packages and count it against your monthly kilo allowance which could incur overage charges. If you're not a boxholder there, you'd have to inquire as to what they'd charge to receive your package for you. Having it delivered to your door eliminates either issue.

What a wonderful people helping people post this has been. A true tribute to the way this board is supposed to work. Thank you to all posters for going way above and beyond and helping each other make the most of this amazing Amazon delivery of goods service.

And how can ya not be happy saving money AND having just about anything you need come to Mexico. It is nice to have the independence of not having to ask friends, or rely on a store ordering that orders directly Amazon and charges double or triple the price to locals for products you can duplicate or others that you may need.

I can also highly, highly recommend all services of Lake Chapala's Personal Assistant - Cynthia Ornelas - who does the Costco, Home Depot and Shopping runs to Guadalajara. Cynthia has graciously done 8 airport runs for me since January and will be doing two more - coming up soon.

Her services plus the Amazon - have made this working gals life much, much easier. While I love going to Costco there is just no way I can do it as cost effectively as she does or take the time to do so.

Just another great money saving tip to pass on! She also has a good sized car for the airport runs, very comfortable! This is a lady who goes not one but many extra miles to please her clients.

I put together my $125.00 order, and ran into a snag I confirmed with Amazon's customer service.

They confirmed that that offer does not apply to items larger than 18” x 14” x 8” or over 20 lbs.

If your combined weight /total package size exceeds either, the free ship does not apply.

It's still great for items that fall within that size/wieght.

The free ship may come in handy in the future, or with lighter, smaller items.

It's relatively easy to use once you adjust the settings.

Very good info at that!

Thought you had it there! Free global shipping did not used to be one of the choices in your Mexico address so I changed it as you suggested. Then went virtual shopping also and found a camera that ships to Mexico, $199.99, and surely no weight or size issues. They still want $7.86 for shipping when it should say zero. Oh well...... Wait! I just found it!! You also have to select the free shipping option in the screen just before placing your order. I would have thought by changing it in your preferences it would be the default but that wasn't the case. Now it's perfect, no shipping and presumably no duty.

I sent this thread around to 10 of my friends this afternoon and one already tried to order a Microsoft Surface laptop, the small tablet style computer with a detachable keyboard. He was told that electronics are excluded from this Mexico shipping program. This probably explains the discrepancy between the regular and Kindle Fire tablet that the poster ran into...still electronics but old cheap model vs new more expensive one? I'm wondering if this means Aduana had a hand in OKaying the program (would make sense) and eliminated the high ticket items they want to be sure to collect on? Maybe others can post their experience with other items that fit the mailing box size criteria outlined above but are not allowed. With free shipping what's to stop a small electronics store from ordering their stock at US retail or overstock prices, even refurbished, on Amazon with free shipping and selling them for the higher retail prices here with import duty added in yet they've paid none? Makes sense to me.

When I search on the MS Surface tablet it says it does not ship to Mexico. It never explains why, so I'm guessing it has much to do with country of origin, components, etc. I bought my wife a HP Stream laptop in January and it was shipped here free under this program. She likes it so well I decided to get one for myself, but now it says "does not ship to Mexico". Off to customer service, "por que?" They apologized profusely but said there was no way to find out why. But get this, he suggested I order it and have it shipped to a friend in the US and they would reimburse for overnight shipping. Then have the friend ship it here to me and just let them know how much was the shipping and any duty and they would credit our account that amount!! These people really want to make you depend on Amazon for virtually everything. They show a net loss every year but are building a huge customer base that they hope will be loyal. The ultimate in loss leaders.

I just checked and I have had 54 items ordered in the last 6 months. Amazon works well for me......I remember 15 years ago waiting for trips to the states to buy the things I wanted and needed. How expensive the trips were and now I can have stuff at reasonable rates delivered to my door step. Thanks to Amazon. Now if we can just get a Taco Bell here for real Tacos. I have waited for Olive Garden and Red Lobster...now we have them. Only trips to visit family.

So will this service have a negative effect on the recently opened Bed and Bath shop on Colon

Probably will be people who want to touch and see their stuff and want things NOW vs. people who are willing to take a bit of a chance and wait.

From what I have observed it has very little inventory. Closed on Colon a while back only the signs are there. New location touts mail order primarily through a web based shopping cart and gets it from Amazon ... I assume... as photos appear to be the same as Amazon's.

I felt the prices were high so investigated this option and it is my personal solution for all I need... just as it was in the US. To me it is a logical, cost effective way of shopping for bedding etc. There is simply no need to have someone do this for you at a profit IMHO.

I believe it is also a choice. There have been over a thousand views to this post so it looks like a lot of people are interested in knowing how to shop for missed or needed US products themselves in q cost saving and speedy way.

As stated by others the customer service is free and outstanding and reputable.

Amazon is onto something really useful and good.

By the way, I wish Bed bath store lots of luck. As a small business owner I do try to support all local business. I live in Jocotepec so I spread most of my money around here. It is nice to know the locals speak the language and I get great service.

It is an American owner and her 5th enterprise ...since 2012. She always seems to find niche markets and plenty of people patronize all her shops as she tries various enterprises.

I too live in joco, speak Spanish and shop locally. However when I want US things like sheets and towels etc that are not sold by locals or their businesses I need to shop as cost effectively as possible.

I do Amazon to avoid high import taxes or carrying it back.

Francine59: I expect I may regret reading your post. As a former shopaholic, this is bad news for me. Good news for Amazon. I should buy stock in that company. They are taking over the world with their Prime program and their ridiculous good service. Damn. And their Canadian credit card does not add a foreign exchange fee AND gives you credit towards Amazon purchases. Now I can ship things to my home, here in Mexico, for free? (I never spend less than 125 dollars) Good Grief! I am going to have to move to the middle of the actual Amazon to protect myself from my shopping addiction. Thanks a lot, Francine!

Val Gal - you ALWAYS make me smile and laugh out loud! Shall we gather in the jungle? Have a feeling a distribution center for Amazon will not be far behind us!

The customer service has been great - can now relate to those people on the home shopping networks who become best friends with those they place an order with.

Happy shopping!

Just a question for those who have received a $125.00 multiple item (combined items) free ship order. Have you paid any duty? If so what was the cost? Thanks!

PS The $125.00 combined is not so easy to do (not everything combines where it won't exceed package size restrictions for the free ship), but I do have two electronic items in my sight, which pass specs. I am now weighing in on which is less expensive for this particular ship.

And I appear to be the holder of the booby prize Amazon Prime ticket!

For when I placed two orders, the first is now delayed in Guad with DHL

and DHL informed me:

You need to have a import lisence With Hacienda in Mexico, if you don't have it, DHL can't release your package

I entered a Customer Service Chat with Amazon and they say

I wish, I could help you. Unfortunately, We do not have such option to provide DHL.If package can not be delivered due to any reason, It will be returned back to us as an undeliverable package.
and then he hung up on the chat session... and it said... We're so sorry about this connection problem.
And that was an Amazon Supervisor!
Does anyone have a special customer service number with an experienced person at Amazon?

Archived