Chapala.com Webboard

Money saving tip: Bed, Bath and way beyond via Amazon - WHAT a deal!

I just received my 3rd order via Amazon - placed June 11 - received in Ajijic on June 17. Picked up yesterday. Ordered sheet set for 59.95 shipping was a total of $8.42. No other fees when I picked it up at Sol y Luna - what a deal.

Amazon has kept their word about shipping to Mexico. For the first order I was charged $11.70 for shipping a comforter bedding set - and was refunded $2.36 as they estimated high.

There is no need for anyone with a local mailing address, mail service with a local street address, or who uses Sol y Luna to pay double or triple the price for an item via a third party that is ordered from Amazon's website.

Amazon is providing this service as they are building a distribution center in Mexico City therefore Aduana is cooperating with them as they build a Mexico customer base.

I have also ordered hair care items and clothing - all came with nominal fee and in some cases less time than when I ordered from Amazon in the US.

WHAT A GREAT SERVICE. If anyone wants the street address for shipping to Sol y Luna just PM me. You do need to have an account with them to use their street address.

Happy shopping to all!

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I tested it out three times waiting for the "other shoe to drop" and be told I owed half the price of the object I ordered. I think its amazing and while I travel to the US about 4 times a year for work - it will be so nice not to have to pay $40 to bring an extra suitcase home with towels, sheets, and other things.

Also nice to spread out the costs of the purchases - my visa card will thank me! Has a nice online chat with Amazon as well - they are very happy about the prospect of a customer base in Mexico.

Happy shopping!

If you receive mail at your address it would be delivered there. I use Sol y Luna Ajijic àddress with postal code ,.. It is just a regular carraterra street number with bugambilla plaza added on the second address line. Online customer service will help you place your order.

Yes, the Amazon delivery will come to your home street address. I've had three recent Amazon deliveries made to my home in Chapala, the last being an expedited delivery that we paid extra for. We ordered on a Thursday or Friday and it was delivered by DHL the following Wednesday, and an email was sent saying they had been to the house on Tuesday when no one was home.

I have used Amazon over 50 times in the last 6 months. I use my address at my nursing home. Some things arrive amazingly fast others maybe two weeks. A few items do not ship to Mx. I then use sol y luna.

To whoever asked Amazon has a filter for international shipping.

If you spend $125 ( which is pretty easy to do ) you can also get free shipping to Mexico. I'm planning to try it out soon. You have to go onto their site and pick out the item you want, for example towels. Then on the left you click a little box where it says shipping to Mexico. That filters it down to only items which are eligible to come to Mexico with free shipping.

I gather the savings is when shipping to Sol Y Luna Mexico address, vs the Texas address. If you ship to Texas address, then they charge 50% of what you purchase.... (example 100.00 purchase they will charge 50.00)... That's too rich for my blood!

I have handymail, and use that Mexico address with my ebay purchases, via Estafeta.

At present, my estafeta one year membership expires in about 3 months. That membership cost me 49.99ish.

That said, Estafeta (I could be wrong) has changed their fees, and won't be allowing me to renew for 49 USD a year.

Under the current membership, I don't pay any shipping from the Estafeta Texas address. I only pay duty on items over 50.00.

Anticipating that bargain running out, then it will be more costly to ship per item, I am shopping around for other ways to have items shipped to me, without Estafeta/ebay.

This seems nice, minus the Sol Y Luna, for Handy Mail will provide a secure (MEXICAN) shipping address for my packages.

I am curious, if you receive free shipping for a $125.00 order from Amazon, I am certain that it will have duty due on the amount over and above 50.00. I gather that will be approx 20.00 USD? That's not too bad (eh).

On the other hand, cannot wait until Amazon opens in Mexico! That duty will be a thing of past (I assume)?!

What's the update on completion with that... Anyone know?

I wasn't aware of the 125.00 free shipping... Great to know!

If you spend $125 ( which is pretty easy to do ) you can also get free shipping to Mexico. I'm planning to try it out soon. You have to go onto their site and pick out the item you want, for example towels. Then on the left you click a little box where it says shipping to Mexico. That filters it down to only items which are eligible to come to Mexico with free shipping.

You are charged 50â„… because it goes through Texas and then through customs. Order directly from Amazon shipping directly to a Mexico home address or Sol Luna street address.

Just read how to do this on their website. All you do is click on ... Add new shipping address. You still have the option of sending to your Sol y Luna box if you do not want to by pass it and save 50%.

The Mexico city distribution center will be completed in 2016.

I am just sharing how I have been able to get quality goods from US in a cost effective way and a way that does not involve paying a store to order these for me off Amazon's website and double the price or through Texas box at an additional 50% fee.

People have options and free or minimal shipping is the one I chose.

Like francine59 said, explore the Amazon website. They ship some items to Mexico without the need of a middle-man / US mailing address. Depends on type of item and the category, in my very limited experience. Add your Mexico address via "add new shipping address", then see if they'll ship here without the headache and extra expense.

I've received two orders from Amazon this month,(Elegant Comfort) bed sheets,the shipping cost about 8 bucks and they arrived in less than 2 weeks,one via UPS and strangely enough one via the Mexican postal service.

Another thing I found kind of strange is that you can buy a Kindle e-reader direct from Amazon Mexico but not a Kindle Fire tablet.

They still hold up some shipments at customs despite the products being labeled as shipping to Mexico on Amazon. We just cancelled an order ( and got a full refund) that has been held up for the last 15 days. A Mexican Amazon warehouse would be a huge improvement by eliminating the customs issues and speeding up delivery times.

This is great news as between us and another friend we make trips back to Phoenix every 3 months (one is a retired flight attendant who can fly standby for the tax cost only.) As a result we bring lots of orders back in the nearly empty suitcases we cart up for many folks but now they don't have to wait. Sometimes these order trips have bulked our bags up to the maximum...it always ends up to be more space than each individual anticipated their things would occupy. Three of us also share a mailbox at iShopMail but it's based on weight of mail delivered per month. We've never gone over the limit with the little mail we get and the few magazines. The only reason we use their more expensive service is to import meds that can't wait the three month gap (as they take care of the paperwork in Nuevo Laredo and they always arrive in the expected time) and for receiving duty free paper collectible items off eBay that one friend collects actively. I know that receiving any additional kilos like an Amazon order would incur overage charges, so I just wanted to point that out for iShopMail customers. The work around is, of course, to just have it delivered to your house which seems to work fine too or pay 40 pesos at Sol y Luna.

That's WONDERFUL... our packages do not go through usual customs... love it... Not the typical duty charged? The 20.00 I estimated not for shipping but duty... I am viewing Amazon.. Thanks so much for that info!

If you read my first post portimom you will see I have paid nowhere near $20 for shipping from Amazon. They are not required to go through the usual customs procedure. You can find out all about this option on their website.

When and where will you see the Free shipping to Mexico box for this $125 offer. I cannot seem to locate it.

Archived