Chapala.com Webboard

Swimming pool in Riberas

Yes, it is still open. I have the Fact Sheet from 2011 and it is still the same. PM me and send me your email address and I will snap a pic and send it to you.

I have started the aerobics + free swim and I do enjoy it. The pool is deep, so I don't get chilled, and it is sufficiently warm that I don't have muscle aches.

Didn't make it this morning, however...

• 4 months later...

I think that is expensive, more than we paid in Texas for a full gym membership including classes and indoor pool.

Regarding the place in Riberas: When we were there, we were given a price sheet which I no longer have. This was within the last thirty days. There was a yearly membership fee as well as the monthly fee. All you got was the pool class. It came to around $65 a month, I believe. It as really quite a shock.

We paid around $25.00 a month/per person at 24-Hour Fitness for full privileges at almost all their locations, which did include all the classes, all equipment, no hour limits, and heated pool with no extra fees.

He's right, really nice gyms are dirt cheap here in Arlington, TX as well. They are far larger with many times the membership which is how they can deliver so much for a lot less than the gyms Lakeside. They take advantage of economy of scale

Even better, we can use our Silver Sneakers benefit that goes with our Medicare supplemental at the local 24 hour fitness. This gym is really something, very large pool, steam room, sauna, whirlpool, every kind of fitness equipment imaginable.

I think that is expensive, more than we paid in Texas for a full gym membership including classes and indoor pool.

But a car mechanic's shop rate in the US is north of $95/hr and a mechanic at Lakeside is peanuts. My point is... why compare the rates between the two countries? Will one not go to the pool in Riberas because it is more expensive with less services than one NOB?

• Like 1

He's right, really nice gyms are dirt cheap here in Arlington, TX as well. They are far larger with many times the membership which is how they can deliver so much for a lot less than the gyms Lakeside. They take advantage of economy of scale

Even better, we can use our Silver Sneakers benefit that goes with our Medicare supplemental at the local 24 hour fitness. This gym is really something, very large pool, steam room, sauna, whirlpool, every kind of fitness equipment imaginable.

You are spot on. We also had the benefit of Silver Sneakers for one of us the previous year as it was a benefit of that particular insurance, which meant we had one membership at zero additional cost.

What are the alternatives locally to the pool in Riberas if one wants to do water aerobics and swim laps, especially year round? Many of the outdoor pools aren't good alternatives in the cooler months.

This is exactly what we are looking for. Haven't found anything yet.

Silver Sneakers is popular and my wife uses it. She is even playing racquetball now. However, her opponent fell yesterday and broke her arm......all part of Medicare‘s wellness program. :wacko: Exercise is good for you?

Zeb, you may find a heated pool, such as the one at the hotel in Chapala just a block or two west of the main intersection on the way to Ajijic.

Silver Sneakers is popular and my wife uses it. She is even playing racquetball now. However, her opponent fell yesterday and broke her arm......all part of Medicare‘s wellness program. :wacko: Exercise is good for you?

Zeb, you may find a heated pool, such as the one at the hotel in Chapala just a block or two west of the main intersection on the way to Ajijic.

Are you referring to the Monte Carlo? We stopped by there and it is not heated.

But a car mechanic's shop rate in the US is north of $95/hr and a mechanic at Lakeside is peanuts. My point is... why compare the rates between the two countries? Will one not go to the pool in Riberas because it is more expensive with less services than one NOB?

It's a matter of value for what you pay. Everyone's perception is different. Also, it is indoors, which is a not an option as the chlorine inhalation has caused lung infections.

• 4 weeks later...

I haven't been to the Riberas pool in the past year, but the pool is nice and clean and, depending when you choose to swim, you can have the entire pool to yourself. Unfortunately, you have to choose a consistent swim time and day(s) and can not deviate from that schedule. I think they are closed from 2:00 - 4:00 pm, but open until 9:00 pm.

• 3 years later...
On ‎10‎/‎21‎/‎2015 at 8:37 PM, lakeside7 said:

Check out the Raquet Club at San Juan Cosala

It is nice as it is outdoors but it is always too hot and a bit shallow to swim lengths.