Chapala.com Webboard

Paperwork needed when buying a used car in Guad?

We did this about a year ago and Roccar (dealer) did all of the above except the emissions test. I'm sure they would do that too if the deal depended on it. I read recently that the state has somewhat given up on emission test requirements but will use existing law to still give tickets to smoking cars.

License plates belong to the car, and will stay in place.

Car title goes from owner to owner. The HUGE deal is that you are sure it is clean" -- a reputable dealer will have checked, otherwiseyou have to take the VIN number to a recaudadora office yourself to verify. You want to see the original title, and see that the previous owner has ceded it over to the next. This is a MAJOR ISSUE.

Emmissions test -- no they will not do that. But don't worry much until the system gets revised in 2016 (unless the car is belching fumes!).

IF the car has Jalisco plates, all that is required is trip to recaudora (you can do it yourself, or they will do it for an added fee) to change the car from old owner to you. You will need ID, proof of address, and documents (including title) from car dealer. If does not have Jalisco plates, I would insist they do that BEFORE a purchase is made.

The dealer we bought from almost two years ago did all the paperwork, got the plates and had the emissions test done.

However, it does appear the emissions program is basically broken down at this point although I think there's some discount if the emissions certificate is presented at the time the plates are gotten so that may still be in effect.

Just recently bought 2 new cars from Honda dealership - to get a license plate (and I assume this applies to used cars also)

We had to provide a recent CFE bill showing my name...I was lucky that I had recently changed

the bill over because I needed it for my permanente. David, on the other hand, did not have a utility bill with his name

on it, so I had to sign a letter stating it was okay for him to use that address.

According to Honda, this is a new requirement to get plates. I assume the purpose is to be able to track you down.

Archived