Chapala.com Webboard

Lost Permanente card

Report has to be made at ministerio publico and then application and fee paid at immigration for duplicate card. Time from going to MP to getting card about 1 to 2.5 months, my office handles it all if you are interested.

I did it in the beginning this year. Very easy and no letter from misterio publico was needed however I did as I thought it was necessary. But at INM in Chapala they didn't ask for it and even didn't read/receive it. You start the tramite at the INM with payment and all, and you'll get a appointment to come back within a few days to explain why/how you lost your card. Took about 5-10 minutes. After that you'll get a notice to come back for fingerprints and so on and another few weeks to receive your card. Think it took a little less then 2 months in total.

We asked again today in Chapala at immigration and were told that yes a report from the MP is necessary. In Guadalajara they are now not asking for it, go figure!

• 1 year later...
On 6/18/2015 at 2:55 PM, Intercasa said:

We asked again today in Chapala at immigration and were told that yes a report from the MP is necessary. In Guadalajara they are now not asking for it, go figure!

Where is the Ministerio Puublico to make a report.? I need to replace my Permanente visa.  Also what are the fees to pay for replacement?

maw

Fees are a bit over 1,000 pesos, MP is at Juarez 575 in Chapala

On ‎18‎/‎06‎/‎2015 at 6:36 AM, ednet94 said:

I did it in the beginning this year. Very easy and no letter from misterio publico was needed however I did as I thought it was necessary. But at INM in Chapala they didn't ask for it and even didn't read/receive it. You start the tramite at the INM with payment and all, and you'll get a appointment to come back within a few days to explain why/how you lost your card. Took about 5-10 minutes. After that you'll get a notice to come back for fingerprints and so on and another few weeks to receive your card. Think it took a little less then 2 months in total.

My Expat buddy here in San Luis Potosi did the same as you. He gave his RT card/visa to a tour Company with his credit card in Puerto Vallarta and then took a flight back to San Luis Potosi the next morning and didn´t have his RT card, they only returned his CC. I went with hm to the INM office and they told him to go to the Ministero Publico here in SLP. I asked why? They said to report it lost. I said but it was lost in PV. They said he can write a letter explaining how it was lost and bring it in. We wrote the letter. The clerk read it and gave it back to him and gave him an appointment with the Licenciada in a few days. We went to the "interrogation" as was stated in the letter she wrote with all the facts from his letter and stamped it, he signed it and she said come back in a few days for fingerprints they will E-mail him to come in. He had already paid and filled out the proper forms. They fingerprinted him and the next day he got the replacement RT visa/card. The whole process took about 10 working days.

Process is as Spencer noted except in other jurisdictions no letter from MP. Process is basically same as a renewal plus interview.

The original post stated lost at airport. That raises the question, was it lost when leaving or entering Mexico. If the former, did person enter Mexico enter as a tourist?

saludos

Sonia

• 1 month later...

Yes! This is a very important piece of info the original post left out! Was card lost in U.S. or in Mexico???

I just lost my Permanent Resident card at JFK in NYC and am trying to get some clear info on steps to take to get a new one.

Am infuriated at myself for not having made a copy(it probably would've helped provide some info helpful to INM).

Am going to assume the poster lost card in Mexico, which will require completely different steps to replace than if lost in U.S..

It's my understanding I need to avoid getting a tourist visa for return because I may have to start process for getting my Residents Permanente card all over again(???)

Anyone gone thru this experience?

Thanks in advance for advice.

YoDave

When visa is lost outside of Mexico, while some have experienced various options I have the official INM process here on my web site. This process I confirmed 2 weeks ago at INM. http://www.soniadiaz.mx/immigration---visas.html

Hola Sonia,

Thank you for this extensive and very helpful post. As usual, you can be relied upon to have very good and well-explained information on almost any subject.

However, I have one very important question. I don't have ANY report whatsoever regarding the loss of this card. I THINK I lost it at Terminal 4 at JFK, but didn't discover it gone until I was home. So, no way would I think or reporting it lost-it could have been lost at airport in D.F., on the plane coming to US, on the way to Immigration in Terminal 4, in the van that picked me up, OR in front of my house-get it?

I have no clue WHO would write a report on a loss such as this.I mean, am I going to call the NYPD to report I lost a small visa card??? They's laugh me off the block. Having said that, maybe I WILL have to go to the station and get an official report??? Good idea??

Wondering if the Consulate has another option for this kind of situation where a report is not required. I am thinking that most of the time when some one loses a card, they don't report it for the reasons I state above.

I considered just crossing(driving) back into Mexico and then reporting I lost it in Mexico(could get a report at MP if necessary), since they have NEVER asked for any kind of visa going in or out when driving. HOWEVER, I think I am in the "system" as leaving Mexico by air when I turned in the form to the airline that Migracion fills out using my PR card.

So, wondering if INM would be able to see that I did that and then ask how I got BACK into Mexico w/o a Visa!!!???

My general rule of thumb is to NEVER lie about anything-especially this-but AM curious on how the scenario of driving back I painted above looks(smells???).

Thank you Sonia and anyone else out there who may have had same experience I am having and can help.

Muchisimas gracias!

YoDave

Archived