Chapala.com Webboard

Good Restaurants in West Ajijic

Ellkeeper

Oh, my, yes: A full range.

Cheap, good and reliable, breakfast served: Fonda Dona Lola.

Practically an institution: Roberto's

Excellent Italian: Hostelria del Arte at the Japanese Nursery

Poolside with large garden: Yves

Fun and eclectic: Just Chillin (now closed for vacation)

More good Italian and much besides: La Ancla

Upscale setting: Arilleo (which is FAR west Ajijic but worth the trip)

These are all on the carretera. There is also Mannix, Tabarka, and La Mission on side streets. I'm sure I'm missing a couple or three or more, but this should get you started!

• 2 weeks later...

But worth the drive!

Arileo's is a bit of a drive, and worth it in spades. Had lunch there today: two diners had salmon; one a "special" pasta dish with creamy white sauce. All delicious. Topes on the road or not, it's our favorite dining out place. Monte Cristo and el Ancla.......not so much, but okay.

Special lunch menu at Arileo's is very reasonable. (50 pesos and up) Some of the sandwiches are an "eat half and take half home " size unless you're really, really hungry. Everything is very fresh and well prepared. Not the best choice if you're in a hurry, because, as the sign on their wall says "Food cannot be made at microwave speed". So, enjoy the chips and salsa while you wait. They're fresh and good.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

What about the restaurants with fabulous lake views up in the racquet club? Is Gerard still in the thick of things. There was always his and Chac Lan. Food wasn't bad and ambience was awesome. My question is are they still open and how is the food. I don't care about the distance or the price or the valet service just the current quality of the food.

Gerard is definitely still in business at La Vita Bella. Hadn't been there in years and couldn't believe the changes that have taken place on the hotel side of it. Took some people there a few weeks ago. They were happier with their food than I was with mine, but I ordered the wrong thing (for me). Same big beautiful view. I'll go back, but order something more appropriate.

Most know I wrote a book about Salvador of Tio Domingos and loved their food. A couple of items I especially liked,. Tio's chile rellnos, and also his Camarones media diablo... Since moving to Florida, I've been trying to recreate his Diablo sauce and last night, finally got really close.. In fact they were so good I wanted to cook them again tonight. PM me if you'd like the recipe... and if you haven't been to Tio's recently and bought the book of the story of his life, worth giving it a try. He's only got about 30 more books and once they're gone, they're gonei

What about the restaurants with fabulous lake views up in the racquet club? Is Gerard still in the thick of things. There was always his and Chac Lan. Food wasn't bad and ambience was awesome. My question is are they still open and how is the food. I don't care about the distance or the price or the valet service just the current quality of the food.

I eat at those two restaurants 3 or 4 times a year and haven't had a bad meal yet.

Archived