Chapala.com Webboard

Sick of HotMail and Yahoo being hacked?

ProtonMail is something I use for security. It's a web-based mail (that is, you can't use it in a program like Outlook Express). They use a multi-step security procedure, their systems are almost invulnerable, and in the year since they started with invitations to the service they've never had a hacked email, lost any data, or given up any contacts lists.

https://protonmail.ch/privacyforall

I post this, not because I am promoting the company, but because almost every week I get a call from someone who has had their HotMail or Yahoo hacked, lost their Contacts, and worse: had their password changed. And both of those companies make it almost impossible to get a new password.

In this day and age, no one should have to suffer that kind of intrusion or loss. Email has become too important. Both Microsoft and Yahoo should be fined by the world courts for being massive moronic monsters. IMHO.

It has the added bonus of being easy to use and easy to read. One caveat: you do have to sign in again any time you move between Inbox, Sent, Contacts... whatever. That is a pain, but it is what protects you. Everything is encrypted, incoming and outgoing.

Happy to hear comments from anyone who tries it.

EDIT: Darn, typo in my Subject line. Sorry. (fixed by Moderator)

We were using prodigy and suddenly began to receive tons of email...and in one day 15000 of them...the lovely and talented Telmex shut down our email and admits they have lost the ability to get it back up. We have other email accounts but hacking is like the flu....sooner or later everyone gets a touch of it

In more news, LastPass Password Manager was hacked on Friday. This is a tool that keeps all your passwords in one place so you don't have to remember what they are. BUT:

"We want to notify our community that on Friday, our team discovered and blocked suspicious activity on our network. In our investigation, we have found no evidence that encrypted user vault data was taken, nor that LastPass user accounts were accessed. The investigation has shown, however, that LastPass account email addresses, password reminders, server per user salts, and authentication hashes were compromised."

It is possible that without actual passwords, the password reminders could be used to figure them out. If you use the service (installed properly, it lets you retrieve your passwords from any computer), you will be asked to submit your master password and change it right away.

Thanks for the info, Computer Guy. You are a wealth of info!

Totally agree with you about Microsoft.

BTW - I've paid for an msn.com email account now for 15 - 20 years (early adopter), and have never had that hacked. OK, now I've done it! I'll be hacked tomorrow :-)

I would never use a password vault myself, too paranoid.

Guest bennie2

none of this has ever happend to me. i have had the same hotmail acct for 14 years. an additional one w/ yahoo for suscriptions- which i dont care about. that one gets alot of spam, but not in the inbox. this is a problem for email users because they make it complicated. since i dont understand one word of this thread, i figure im doing something right.

I never use any application that stores my info in the cloud except search engines. I keep everything on my PC and close to the vest. As mentioned when one of the premier password companies plus apparently the entire US Gov is hacked, well, you decide who to trust.

Archived