Chapala.com Webboard

Why do people leave?

una

I've been wondering about this question for some time but am prompted to ask it here by the experience detailed below about the robbery at Salvador's--so disheartening for someone about to start a new life here.

I know that there are many reasons why people decide to leave after living here for some time: health issues that require medicare or other insurance; debilities of aging that call for care from family members elsewhere; homesickness for adult children and grandchildren; and many others, I know. But I'm wondering if some of you would share particular stories, reasons for moving away from here--either your own stories or those of others--no names, of course.

I wonder, too, if one of the reasons is becoming weary of the constant need for surveillance--personal and property. I've read and heard many of you say that you feel safer here than NOB. I respect your various opinions and observations, but I must say I find that incredible. Most of us did not come here from crime-ridden areas; rather, we came from places where personal and property security were taken for granted, where we often forgot to lock all our doors because the issue was so far down on our list of concerns.

On this trip back to Ajijic, wherever we go among gringos, the topic of crime--of break-ins, of the need for extreme precautions, of stories that have happened to everyone--seems to be the main topic of conversation. And we wonder, are we willing to to give up a certain sense of security for the many benefits of living here?

I would appreciate any of your honest and respectful responses and observations about the reasons why many people leave the area behind.

Muchas gracias a todos.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You specified Ajijic and may have hit the nail on the head. It is a concentration of expats and the restaurants and other businesses which serve them, exploit them or somehow make a living because of that concentration of perceived wealth. Add to that the fact that most norteamericanos are linguistically deficient and culturally ignorant, and you have a recipe for unpleasant events. Just spend a few hours hanging around the check-out lines at SuperLake and you will see far too many examples of expats behaving badly with a very rude sense of entitlement and/or superiority, none of which engenders warm feelings. Sadly, employees are ordered to tolerate it for the sake of the business. I have heard the victims of such impolite behavior express the wish that those expats would go home. The concentration in Ajajic also leads to fraccionamientos and condos with high concentrations of expat and tapatio residences. Any good burglar will be enticed to to where the money is, and they do. Friends in the most prestegious and highly secured condominios were easily robbed, as were others in less pretentious fraccionamientos, but they did not heed the advice to avoid wearing jewlery or carrying expensive items which might attract attention. They were cleaned out three times.

Our own experience with houses on normal streets in Ajijic and, later, in Chapla, were more fortunate. Our neighbors were Mexican for 13 years, knew us and each other, and we never had a problem; even having keys returned when we inadvertently left them in the door, or forgot to close the garage door. Our one and only incident was at the side gate of LCS in 2003 when a thief stole a wheel and tire from our car during a rainy morning with few pedestrians about. We lived without fear for all that time, until age and health issues became a financial burden and we moved NoB for Medicare and the VA support in case of hospitalization, which was becoming too frequent in Guadalajara; although; I think the medical care in Guadalajara far superior to what is typical in the USA. I did have another incentive for the move, as I suffer from COPD and a lower elevation relieves me of the need to use oxygen.

So there you have it. We wish we could have stayed in Chapala until the very end, and maybe it would have been best. We will never know until it is much too late, but we do know that we liked living there better than NoB.

That's all good RV but it doesn't really address the topic. Ajijic is hardly the only place here where there is crime against expats or anyone else for that matter. Expats don't get targeted for this crime because some of them are obnoxious jerks we'd all like to see go home.

They get targeted because many of them are easy hits.

We don't have a lot of crime against the person, particularly considering we are basically a suburb of a very big city and criminals are very mobile. But there is a lot of property theft here.

As RV points out, the thieves follow the money and they also know that many expats are pretty easy marks because they don't realize they are not in Kansas now.

I think we get a lot of GDL criminals working this area, and not just Ajijic. Professional burglars work all up and down the lakeside.

For example, one Fracc outside of Chapala has a serious problem with hit and run home burglary where the criminals do the job quickly and then flee back up Chapala highway, making it almost impossible for the cops to apprehend them.

There's no question in my mind that SuperLake and the El Torito corner are magnets for pickpockets, purse snatchers and thieves.

They steal stuff. Whenever possible and usually from the unwary. The trick to living here in that regard is making it very difficult to steal from us personally or break into our homes and cars. Where and when you park can really affect that last one.

I believe the two biggest reasons people leave are health care and missing their families, particularly kids and grandkids.

Some come and just find they don't like the untidy and pretty much uncontrolled environment. Basically, there's little police protection here, you need to quickly become adept at protecting your self and stuff from theft.

Some people just are out of their element here. For example, some have lived in sheltered NOB environments and just don't have the travel experience and street smarts to avoid being singled out. The first thing one learns is to have a very secure place to live and park their car. The second thing is to not carry on one's person anything not needed for an outing. Wearing expensive jewelry is a bad idea. Driving a conspicuous and expensive vehicle is a bad idea.

Crooks can spot the unprepared and not vigilant very quickly. And they do. Really, this is no different than any place tourists go. PV has a ton of this type of crime. So does New York, San Francisco, Paris, London, you name it.

Guest bennie2

harry, your statement about mass murder is ludacris. lived all my life in USA, never witnessed "mass murder". dont know one expat who moved here because of that issue. you may be thinking of the middle east, parts of baltimore, ferguson mo.

Can we please stop referring to a purse /theft as a robbery? There was no masked men holding a gun to anyone's head. It was a non violent personal property theft.

Personal property crimes are very different than crimes where the victim is threatened or harmed. People have wallets, purses, bags stolen all over the world.

My friend had her purse stolen from the back of a chair at a Nordstom café in Bellevue Washington, while we were having lunch. If she sent email out saying "I was robbed at Nordstrom!", what picture pops into your mind? No one suggested calling the Bellevue police either. Why do we panic so much more here?

It is a horrible thing to have happen to you, where ever you live, but it is hardly exclusive or even that common here.

It is harder to deal with when you are in a foreign country. I feel sympathy to those who are victims of crime here, but I do not think that the Ajijic area is swarming with purse snatching thieves throughout the year. This week? Maybe.

Guest bennie2

elsaltos, i have no idea where that place is. thats not my world. how many people in ajijic are from there, & left because of a that school? NONE. no one here lived in worst part of detroit. its all conjecture. back on topic: people leave for many reasons, all different. when rvgringo says "the USA", he forgets its a huge nation. leaving a purse on a chair: my friend had this happen in west hollywwod @ a very expensive place. you forget there are employees who also look for an op.

Guest bennie2

the death toll in the worst parts of chicago or NJ can be 18 over a holiday weekend. no one we know lives there. random small US towns proberly have the same rate as small mex towns. so & so what? it's all about location. people leave here. only one person reponded to the orginal question.

It seems that going off topic is popular.

I would like to go back on topic.

Why do people leave?

It has nothing to do with security. We have lived in Ajijic, sold and bought in

Chapala. Yes, in one of the Fracc's outside of Chapala, and have enjoyed it here more

than Ajijic. Personal preference.

When we moved here I had plans of volunteering and trying to make a difference. I

found out rather quickly that it was not as easy and pleasant as I thought it

would be.

Tired of inconsistency in so many areas.

As I get older the thought of proper medical care gets scary. I have had way to

many bad experiences in my 8 years here.

Having to deal with the type of maintenance needed on the homes here.

The inconvenience of power outages. No, we do not have a generator and do not want to

get one.

We want the convenience to buy certain things that we need without having to

send to the US for it. No you cannot get everything you want here.

I miss the change of seasons, yes even a little snow.

These are some of our reasons for leaving.

OK. On topic.....

Most people I know who have left have done so for medical reasons. They have better insurance NOB, and do not have the money to pay for their health insurance here.

I know several people who left, because they were frustrated with the challenges of living in a foreign Country. They just felt it was too difficult and were overwhelmed. They have gone back and write from time to time about how easy life is now, but costly.

I do not know about the rest of you out there, but I see things as being much easier now than six years ago. I hear of fewer break ins as well, among acquaintances and friends. Most friends are concerned about healthcare costs.

Guest bennie2

well said blabbyabby. the work load is tremendous w/the electric outages ect. even if you rent, its always something. there is also a language issue as well. when people are old, they have no patience. i know i dont. even in the US, i find stong accents difficult to undertand. as for food shopping, i do get mostly everything i want. sometimes the prices for imported things are crazy, so i dont get them. the tradition of fireplaces in the winter doesnt apply here (in most homes/restaurants). as for breakins, i dont agree w/valgal. there isnt a crime site to report. (or the people i know dont belong to forums). agree about med care.

I agree with Harry's assessment but would add that some people leave (particularly the younger set) to go back NOB to earn money.

We very much enjoy the un-regulated (or lesser regulated) environment here; the U.S. has become such a maze of tightly controlled everything and warnings / fear of liability cutting in on your life. We also enjoy the warm social net among the Mexican, and Mexicanized, folks here.

We've been lucky with electricity, only one 4 hour outage in our years here - much better than in New York or New Jersey! And we feel that health care is much better Lakeside than in the U.S.. and again are fortunate enough (with the help of the ex-pat community) to have found good doctors and good insurance plans. And, we very much enjoy having help that we can afford for our household/garden/animals. And I do speak a fair amount of Spanish but terribly un-grammatical.

Yeah, I miss some of the NOB shopping but not enough to back NOB for it. Hate snow. Basically no plans to move back NOB so guess I'm off topic here. Interested in what others have to say.

Since I haven't left, I can't personally answer that question. Most of the people that I personally know that have left has been because of getting older and health problems.

I've lived in several places in the SE and in Albuquerque. Albuquerque was much more dangerous than here.

I've found the local people here to be helpful and trustworthy. I've never had a problem.

I happened to be sitting at the table when the purse disappeared at Salvadors. I didn't see anything unusual.

Why do people leave?

Fear of crime: Most people in my social circle aren't focused on fear of crime and the subject seldom comes up, but there are many "circles" here.

I'm sure there are places where people didn't even lock their doors, but I never lived in one of them. It was a bit surprising to hear from a poster who did.

Missing family: I'd like to see more of my family, but they do come to visit every few years and we all keep in touch by email. What I've heard from some folks is that when they do live near kids and grand kids, the younger folk are too busy living their own lives to fill in all the blanks in the lives of their elders.

The health issue is a big one for many. They have "Faith" that U.S. medical care will keep them healthy and alive longer than here in Mexico.

I lack faith, based on learning that the U.S.A. is at the top of the list for the cost of health care, but somewhere around number 23 in quality rating.

You want really, really good medical care?? Head for Germany. They are rated #1. (Joke).

Lifestyle shock. What kind of a home has no household thermostatically controlled heating system? Answer: a usual Mexican house.

Clothes? If some folks can't find the same styles they wore in the U.S., they feel the need to go NOB to shop for the same stuff they always had.

Food: there's a reason Superlake can charge very high prices for some specialty foods otherwise not available in Mexico.

Dining out: People miss some of the U.S. dining options and just can't find what they like here.

To live here happily, "letting go" of certain expectations is an absolute necessity. Not everyone who comes here has "adaptability" as his or her strong point. Therefore, they go "home" and are glad they did. Exception to the "glad" would be people like R.V.Gringo, who would still be here if it were not for health care available to him NOB.

My life motto has been "Bloom where you're planted" and after 11 years in Mexico, I expect to stay until the hearse comes for my body.

But, as in all things: YMMV There is no "best" way to live. Everyone is different. (Thank hevvins.) :unsure:

Sorry, I didn't mean to use an inflammatory word to describe what happened at Salvador's. "Theft" is a much more accurate description.

BlabbyAbbey, your list of concerns sounds very much like the ones I've heard, too. But so many people seem to adapt. It's all about choices and priorities: how do the pros outweigh the cons? Or vice versa?

One thing nobody has mentioned so far is the stark difference between those who have and those who don't. While we know that the gap is increasing in the US between the poorest and the most wealthy, most of the time we're protected from that awareness. Our neighborhoods, work environments, schools, shopping, and so on within our daily experience are separated. The poorest, most-crime-ridden areas are places where we rarely go. But more than safety concerns, is it troubling to see and be aware of these differences every day?

I could give you a long list of all the little reasons I'm leaving here after 5 years, but then, people would just say stuff like

..."if you don't like it here, then LEAVE!"

...so that's exactly what I'm going to do. ^_^

Would you please share that list on this thread? I would like to know, and I think there are others who would like to as well. It's important for all of us to be able to make decisions basedon varied experiences. As many people on this forum have repeatedly said: living here is not for everyone. So that's why I'm asking, reasonably, I think, why not?

I would appreciate any of your honest and respectful responses and observations about the reasons why many people leave the area behind.

Muchas gracias a todos.

Just so you have something different for your survey.

Too many people speaking English, especially Ajijic.

If (and only if)....it would be back to Laredo, where I still have a home and people speak Spanish.

The reason it won't happen is the lousy weather there (compared to here).

Sorry, I didn't mean to use an inflammatory word to describe what happened at Salvador's. "Theft" is a much more accurate description.

BlabbyAbbey, your list of concerns sounds very much like the ones I've heard, too. But so many people seem to adapt. It's all about choices and priorities: how do the pros outweigh the cons? Or vice versa?

One thing nobody has mentioned so far is the stark difference between those who have and those who don't. While we know that the gap is increasing in the US between the poorest and the most wealthy, most of the time we're protected from that awareness. Our neighborhoods, work environments, schools, shopping, and so on within our daily experience are separated. The poorest, most-crime-ridden areas are places where we rarely go. But more than safety concerns, is it troubling to see and be aware of these differences every day?

You said it well. In the U.S., people are "protected" from seeing most of the dark and miserable underbelly of poverty. Here, we can't avoid seeing it.

It is disheartening. .

I could give you a long list of all the little reasons I'm leaving here after 5 years, but then, people would just say stuff like

..."if you don't like it here, then LEAVE!"

...so that's exactly what I'm going to do. ^_^

Ajijic_hiker -- I'd be really interested in hearing your little reasons. You are such a nice person, and so well adjusted -- it would be good info I think, for those who don't know whether to stay or go, or to come here in the first place.

Regarding poverty: Living in Mexico I am able to feel, hear and see poverty close up. I can choose how to help, and do so directly instead of through some fund raising organization. For me, I feel more alive here. I know I am making a positive difference by living here. I have friends who have visited here once, but will not return because the poverty they observed in Ajijic made them uncomfortable. Of course, they could find examples of poverty in their own communities, but that can be easily avoided by just not going where the poor people live.

I am a better person having lived here. I am disappointed by the shallowness of my family and friends who do not want to see, touch or smell anything unpleasant in the world. I am sad for them.

You say it is disheartening. Over time, when you can see peoples lives change because of the help our expat community is giving, you feel encouraged. Getting involved in projects that provide jobs, opportunities and education.... priceless rewards.

Archived