Chapala.com Webboard

Diatomaceous Earth

Louie

I bought what I think will do the trick today at the Animal Store. It is food grade, safe for pets and home and not safe for fleas! Hopefully.

Someone locally is making the product, it's in a squeeze bottle, nicely labeled and explained, and it was 100 pesos. There were 2 more bottles.

The girl behind the counter didn't know anything about it but Sue directed me to it and it's just as you come in on the right close to the counter.

The garden grade is available at the garden store in Riberas about 3 blocks west of Casi Nuevo on the lake side of the caraterra. It is next to an appliance store and usually has a signboard outside. She sells numerous eco-friendly products

Both garden centres in Riberas carry garden grade. The garden grade is what is used in food such as grains so most people already ingest it without realizing it is a common preservative.

The pool formula is quite different and very toxic.

DE or sometimes called DTE is normally sold as an organic insecticide. Much like Borax or RoachPrufe, it acts as an irritant bug killer on any insect that has an exoskeleton. It will continue to work as long as it stays dry and is considered safe for use in food prep areas but not on food prep surfaces and is also safe around kids and pets. I have not heard before of eating it on purpose or for use as a preservative...who knew? Alan

Archived