Chapala.com Webboard

Music? From San Antonio?

It was horrible and from our house, at least, far louder than the fiesta was. I cannot imagine how deafening it must have been if you were close by, as we are blocks away. I put earplugs in, it was the only way to get any sleep.

I heard about a benefit rock concert that was supposed to be held at Mama's bar in San Antonio tonight, actually, (Wed.) featuring the loudest group in the area, the Tall Boys. Don't know if that got changed or what - I certainly would not have been there.

I went to the Real Fiesta Sat. night, which was the closing night, although I didn't stay late. I walked home to Ajijic alone, no problem. I have a video of the procession and danzantes at the Church, but have not put it up on Utube yet. That will take 2 hours to upload!

I'm glad to see others commented on this first. I've already stated that the TB are as loud as a 15-piece banda in the Lienzo Charro. I have heard both at the same time from my house. The TB were as loud as the banda from farther away. Somehow, they seem to think this is very cool. How not!!!!!!!!!!!

Please know that rock bands are NEVER part of a local patron saint fiesta! Only traditional MX music is played and enjoyed at such. All aspects of patron saint fiestas are organized and paid for by the people in various different groups in the churches who represent different groups in the community. All aspects of the patron saint fiestas are THE PEOPLE'S CHOICE! There is no promoter making money from this entertainment.

The gringo rock groups are excessively loud here because either 1) They have already gone deaf from their excessive volume, and/or 2) they enjoy "fantasizing" (I could be more blunt!) about being rock stars and playing in major arenas. Given their "talent" that will never, ever, ever happen. It is important to note that gringos contribute their share of the "acoustic contamination" here.

To be fair, there is a 1% chance that they could have been a MX rock band. Can anyone describe the sound? Or is that a dumb question? jaja!

The Tall Boys aren't nearly as loud as the "Jam" band, a group who seem to have their instruments jammed into noise overdrive. The unfortunate neighbors would probably enjoy jamming those instruments in another location. However, I see that at least in the case of our local affliction, yet another adjacent rental property is now vacant. Maybe that's the solution, a "dead zone" around these places like Chernobyl. :D

The gringo rock groups are excessively loud here because either 1) They have already gone deaf from their excessive volume, and/or 2) they enjoy "fantasizing" (I could be more blunt!) about being rock stars and playing in major arenas. Given their "talent" that will never, ever, ever happen. It is important to note that gringos contribute their share of the "acoustic contamination" here.

The heart of the problem. Mexicans celebrate events and dates, these untalented "gringo" rock groups inflict themselves on us weekly. I really have to wonder about the music IQ of people who go and listen to the same stuff week after week played at hearing damaging volumes. Are their brains fried?

I believe the "jam band" has utilized the services of 2 Mexican professional free lance musicians for some time, who are able to hold things together, although, they, too, can be too loud.

MC if you think they are bad now, you should have heard the first 2 years of the "jam band" at El Barco 2010-2012. They were unbearable, always playing the same crappy boring stuff every week, no one knowing or caring to improve what they were doing. I thought they were a total embarrassment to the gringo community. My Mexican neighbors agreed, and we became friends around this issue.

"Jamming" which means improvising and/or playing songs without rehearsal beforehand, requires very talented and experienced musicians, or else it is just total, ugly chaos - and I'm trying to be polite. Those without such experience should have their fun in the privacy of their own homes - without amplification! - and let their own neighbors deal with it!

"Jamming" could also be translated as "no one knows WTF they are doing". I went to my first and last jam session - a party with friends - over 40 years ago. Yawn!

(More coming later about the Plaza B situation...)

To be fair to those who don't care to hear loud noise after midnight--you're right in my opinion. It is just caring for your neighbors to turn the volume down. I don't care if it's the Sistine Chapel Choir from the Vatican. Be responsible enough to realize that we live here together and everyone has to make some concessions for the sake of the whole community. It isn't always about you. I live within a block of Cristiania Park where loud music is played several times a year to 3 am at times. Fortunately I am able to tune it out (I don't know how I do it) but I still think that it is disrespectful to neighbors, children, infants and the elderly who can still hear and might actually need some sleep. The "content / type" of the music is irrelevant to me. It is just about human respect for the whole community.

I've told the story before but I can tell it again. A new Mexican neighbor moved in across from me and celebrated on a Saturday night with unbelievably LOUD music until nearly 5 am. The next day a Mexican neighbor parked his car in front of their house and blared music from 8 am to 4 pm. We all knew what was happening. It was a miracle! The neighbor still lives here and we have never had a repeat performance. I have to admit that the neighbor doesn't talk to any of us but I'm sure that they had no sleep the day after their big, LOUD party.

Sometimes, just sometimes, what goes around comes around and I get to see it! :P

Monessen - we had new neighbors who blasted their music around the neighborhood. We faced our speakers out the window and played "The Best of Bob Dylan". THey lowered the sound. Guess Positively 4th Street is an acquired taste.

Guest bennie2

guess the noise laws are not being enforced. it would seem easier to get rid of the loud americans than the mex offenders. doesnot matter if they are talented or not, thats deflecting from the topic. i know what i do if they got in my way. no comment @ this moment.

Archived