Chapala.com Webboard

Robbed while having breakfast

Zeb

This morning while have breakfast with a group at Salvador's we had a bag stolen containing all our hard to replace medications, emergency money, checkbook. It is devastating financial and medically.

That sucks! Try going back to Salvadores, talking to the owner and wait staff, and make up a reward poster. Offer cash for the return of the bag with ID, papers and meds. Any money in it will e gone but it might help to ensure the return of the other important stuff. Yes, it is paying for crime but if you want to salvage as much as you can it might work.

Yes, that is really sad. Were you sitting outside or inside? I'm there for breakfast almost every day when I'm in Mexico, and have never heard of something like that happening a Salvador's.

The idea of an award mentioned above is a very good one. I wish you the best during these difficult times.

Sadly, it has happened at Salvador's before, as well as almost any place where a purse is left on an empty chair or hooked to a chair back. Not much of a newbie welcome at all. Weekends with our crowds of visitors also seems to include some unsavory ones.

We were inside. It was a cross body bag. There was a large group of people sitting with us facing that chair. We did talk to the staff there. They were helpful and gave description of some guys which were acting suspiciously. Police came, took notes, got our info, said they would look for them and come by our house in an hour. They never showed.

Two weeks ago, our car was broken into, broken window, equipment stolen. Our first big loss, so this is now the second. We were reluctant to leave those items in our rental place for fear of a break in, so we kept those with us. Well, that wasn't safe either. This is a loss of several thousand dollars. It seems that it may just cost way more to live here than we can afford with these types of disasters.

We now also have the medical crises to deal with due to lack of medications. A cell phone was also taken, along with new checkbook, etc. The stress is almost unmanageable really.

Our doctor is being quite helpful. He has offered to have Spencer call us to assist with filing the police report. If we don't hear from him, we will have to hope someone else can go with us to the police station.

We don't have receipts to prove all that was in the bag. I don't know what difference the receipts would make. We are not in a good place mentally over all this. It will also require a trip into Guadalajara(aother stressful event) to go to the specialty pharmacy once we get a replacement prescription. We got lost in Guad a couple of days ago when we attempted it. Two and a half hours of driving and we ended up coming back without locating our destination. We gave maps, google, etc., but nothing matched.

Yes it happened to me whilst traveling in Mexico not in Ajijic. I had foolishly left my bag on chair back. I knew who did it but they were long gone. Nothing police could do or cared to do. Lost passport and many credit cards and some cash. Was very traumatic. Never made that mistake again. Very sorry for you loss it is very upsetting. Reward might help get some of it back.

This is such a bad welcome, As they say to teens being bullied "it will get better" I can't imagine how demoralizing this must be for you but it will get better. You just are going through all this at once. I have been here 9 years and went through all that you mentioned, broken window in car, almost worst of all was trying to find things in uad I hardly ever bother with it anymore.I drove around lost by myself for 3 hours finally gave up and came home intears wondering if this was for me. There are ways around all of it. I thought about leaving a few times but have found so much to love about Mexico,Lakeside, and my mexican neighbors I am thankful I stuck it out now if I could only master the language. I use Lakeside Express for costco. Also Uber is now very active in Guad it is a great service. You might want to google Uber on the net. As you posted here I assume you have acess to internet. Uber does the driving for you at a lower price than Taxi. Solves lots of Guad probs. Hope things get better soon.

I don't know if this will help, but we experienced my purse being stolen the second week after we arrived in Sorriana. Being new I was still in the credit/debit card mode as I hardly ever used cash in US. Everything was replaceable eventually but was a pain. They even

used my debit card ( without my PIN) in the store $14,000p. The hardest thing to replace was my car keys as this car isn't made here.

So...Now all important docs are in my locked gloved compartment ex. drivers license, visa.and even my emergency medications. I carry only money in purse and my keys are always in my pant pocket. I have a small cell phone carrier..

BTW....we also experienced a home invasion and lost jewelry and computer.

Sadly, you discovered you are not in Kansas any more. :(

Unfortunately, that is true. When going out, only the essentials for the outing, money or otherwise should be carried on the person. That means credit cards, meds you don't need immediately, any vital paperwork should be left behind.

Stick enough cash for breakfast and your driver's license in your FRONT pocket and leave the rest locked up at home. Forget about the shoulder purse, it is a red flag. You can be walking down the street and have one of those ripped off your person so fast you won't even see it happen.

I find that a European style men's purse, carried and secluded in my relatively tight front pocket, suffices for practically everything.

If one's rental can't be seen as secure enough for one to go out for a few hours in the morning without being broken into, one needs to get a more secure rental immediately. Don't rent anything that doesn't have secure off street parking.

Cars should never be parked on the streets overnight, particularly with NOB plates. Never, never leave anything of value visible inside of a locked car--that's just an invitation for an expensive glass repair. And that is true NOB as well.

Just as is true for "tourists" in places overseas, or New York City for that matter, we have more than our share of petty thieves, purse snatchers and pickpockets. Like the fable about Willie Sutton robbing banks because "that's where the money is" the thieves gravitate to places like this. A little paranoia goes a long way to prevent this kind of thing.

Reality is that expats have somewhat of a target on their backs for this kind of crime. Pretend you're a savvy tourist in Paris and act accordingly.

These guys are good, very good. We were sitting three feet away from you and never saw it happen. I agree with the comment about Jorge. These restaurants should only let diners in the door, not vendors, sight seers or anyone else. Salvador's could do a lot more to improve diner security. I intend to speak with them about this next visit, which is usually for Sunday breakfast.

We were inside. It was a cross body bag. There was a large group of people sitting with us facing that chair. We did talk to the staff there. They were helpful and gave description of some guys which were acting suspiciously. Police came, took notes, got our info, said they would look for them and come by our house in an hour. They never showed.

Two weeks ago, our car was broken into, broken window, equipment stolen. Our first big loss, so this is now the second. We were reluctant to leave those items in our rental place for fear of a break in, so we kept those with us. Well, that wasn't safe either. This is a loss of several thousand dollars. It seems that it may just cost way more to live here than we can afford with these types of disasters.

We now also have the medical crises to deal with due to lack of medications. A cell phone was also taken, along with new checkbook, etc. The stress is almost unmanageable really.

Our doctor is being quite helpful. He has offered to have Spencer call us to assist with filing the police report. If we don't hear from him, we will have to hope someone else can go with us to the police station.

We don't have receipts to prove all that was in the bag. I don't know what difference the receipts would make. We are not in a good place mentally over all this. It will also require a trip into Guadalajara(aother stressful event) to go to the specialty pharmacy once we get a replacement prescription. We got lost in Guad a couple of days ago when we attempted it. Two and a half hours of driving and we ended up coming back without locating our destination. We gave maps, google, etc., but nothing matched.

I'm so sorry for your series of events.

Call a driver to take you into Guadalajara, or to any location or appointment you're stressed about driving to. I highly recommend Miguel Zamora 333-808-8038. He speaks English very well and is wonderfully helpful. He'll take the edge off the travel anxiety for you.

A while back, I got pick-pocketed at Soriana. They got my wallet, including my US driver's license. Since I live here full-time, and have no address in the state where the license was from, it meant having to get a Mexican driver's license. Not a prospect for the faint at heart! Fortunately, the thieves dumped the wallet in Soriana (they usually don't hang on to stolen wallets and purses). Someone found it and turned it over to the Chapala cops, who tracked me down several days later. No money, but everything else was there, including the license. The cops found me, by the way, through my Lake Chapala Society card. It is possible that your bag will be found and returned in this way, assuming you have something in it with your Mexican address or phone, or your email address on it.

Nowadays, I never take any documents with me when I leave the house that I can't easily replace, and almost never carry more than $500 pesos (about $35 USD). Important documents (driver's license, passport, immigration visa, credit/debit cards, check book, etc.) are all kept under lock and key in a secure place in my home. On those occasions when I must carry important items, I carry them in a special "travel wallet" that fits inside the waist-band of my pants with a metal-reinforced loop over my belt. These, and other security items can be ordered on-line from a company called PacSafe.

Remember this: your valuables will nearly always be safer at home than with you on the street. If you have taken proper precautions to secure the exterior of your home--and set up a secure, locked place within the home for valuables--you will seldom take a loss. It is true that many people have been burgled (including myself). However, when they take a loss it is usually from carelessly leaving a door or window unlocked, or because the locks are insufficient, or because they have let a maid, gardener, or other person have access to the keys. In addition, having locked their place, people often leave valuables lying around within the home in easy reach of burglars.

The burglary on my rental home was made easier because the maid had a key, and I didn't change the locks when I moved in. The maid may or may not have been directly involved, but someone got access to my key through her. Fortunately, the rental had an "owner's closet" (as many do) with a deadbolt lock to which she didn't have a key. I kept my valuables in there and lost nothing in the break-in. Afterward, I immediately changed all the locks, and added a lock on the main door with a deadbolt slide that goes 3 inches into the concrete. I no longer allow anyone else to have a key to my home. People looking to rent should always inquire about the security arrangements for the home. If they are inadequate, and the owner or rental agent is unwilling to promptly deal with the issue, don't rent the place. Once having established proper security and locks, use them consistently. Never allow anyone else (aside from an owner or rental agent) to have access to your keys.

While all this may seem to be a lot of trouble to someone coming from north-of-the-border, think of the amount of trouble and expense you will go through to replace important documents, unusual medications, laptops, internet tablets, and large amounts of cash. As someone else on this thread said "you aren't in Kansas anymore."

You said;

"It will also require a trip into Guadalajara(aother stressful event) to go to the specialty pharmacy once we get a replacement prescription. We got lost in Guad a couple of days ago when we attempted it. Two and a half hours of driving and we ended up coming back without locating our destination. We gave maps, google, etc., but nothing matched."

I've has similar problems. When maps, google, and GPS fail me I hail a taxi and get them to lead to my destination. It is worth the small charge.

First of all, thanks everyone for sharing their personal experiences as well as feedback.

The reason we kept all those items with us ,as well as cash, is because my spouse has lived in rough neighborhoods before, and we knew the old tenant had not turned in the keys. Supposedly, that person is now in Canada, but still....

Prop Mgr. said she also did not have a set. We thought of changing out the locks, but things got in the way, and we thought we would just find another rental anyway. Long story short, we kept our valuables with us. Also, no good place to hide things in this rental. So, you get the picture--not safe in the car, the rental and now not with us.

In conclusion, we need to move to a more secure place. I will post that request separately.

I am so sorry to hear about this and, as a newcomer myself, I can only imagine how discouraging this must be. For trips to Guadalajara, I recommend Cynthia Ornelas. She knows her way around and is a kind and reliable person. Here is her website (she does our Costco shopping but provides a wealth of services). I wish you well and happier times ahead.

http://www.chapala-pa.com/

Carrying all that cash,documents and valuables around probably isn't a good idea anywhere,especially if you leave them unattended in a public surrounding.

I find that a European style men's purse, carried and secluded in my relatively tight front pocket, suffices for practically everything.

I like MC's suggestion! Then - any abdominal overage, can be considered a 'clandestine cloaking device'.

Zeb, I am so sorry for your unfortunate experience and your losses. I hope this does not sour you on living in Mexico. It is a little bit of paradise here, but one must be very vigilant at all times. Sadly, this is becoming the norm the world over. Me, I carry a travel wallet that goes across my head and right arm, so that it cannot be easily snatched, and I never lose sight of it or carry anything I cannot afford to lose. I have copies of all my docs in the safe in the bedroom closet, where I keep everything I cannot afford to lose, except the cat, who balks at this;) And I walk in a manner that conveys that I am aware of my surroundings and have eyes in the back of my head. When in a restaurant, my travel purse goes next to my leg in the seat, so one would have to become fairly intimate with me to steal it, and I usually wrap the strap around the arm of the seat. And I watch my surroundings. RELAX?!? Who, me?!?

My condolences and sympathies, hope you get thru this stressful time OK. It took me years to recover my confidence after I was mugged and beaten up in New York City. It did teach me, like JayBearII, to walk watchfully. But, sounds like you are already up on all these cautions.

I've been pick-pocketed a few times in Latin America but the only time I lost a whole purse was in St. Maarten, where our rental car was crow-barred open while it was parked for 10 minutes. And yup, that taught me to never leave my purse in the car.

I've been fortunate at Lakeside - I left my purse hanging on a chair at the Old Posada a couple of years ago - the waiter chased me for two blocks to give it back. No burglaries or car break-in's yet but we remain ever vigilant. Given the rich/poor dichotomy of Mexico, the odds are that it will happen to us at some point. Not much comfort for you, I guess.

It never ceases to amaze me that some of us can live here many years and never have any problems worth mentioning while others can move here and in a very short time have significant and multiple issues. Is it just a coincidence? I used to think so but am no longer sure.

Carrying all that cash,documents and valuables around probably isn't a good idea anywhere,especially if you leave them unattended in a public surrounding.

I was sitting right next to the bag and a bunch of other people were sitting at the table, so not exactly unattended.

I have lived here for 3 plus years now and, knock on wood, so far so good. I was the victim of a house invasion in Pittsburgh, PA in spite of the fact that the house was in a neighborhood with good neighbors. I just marked it up to bad luck. I usually dress "down" so I don't look like I'm worth the time it would take to rob me (I just never had the desire to dress well) and I get to know everyone around me--Mexican and gringo. My Mexican friends do sometimes worry about me being foolish but I also take money out of the ATM every day or so. That means I have very little cash on me most of the time and folks can see that when I pay for something. I don't use a wallet and I don't carry anything with me but my house key, maybe 200 pesos and my temporal and ATM card. I use an ATM that is on a main street in front of hundreds of people (in a little glass room) and often use the one in a "city-county" building with lots of police and political office workers milling around to make it tough to do something without being seen--also only one way out with the police at the door. I am seldom alone and mostly walk with friends or neighbors.

I'm sorry for your loss. I can only say that I wasn't "in Kansas anymore" when I experienced the house invasion in Pittsburgh and so far I have not experienced any untoward event in my years in Florida or here in Mexico.

Archived