Chapala.com Webboard

Bazars and consignment stores

I know that what I am about to say represents at least 99% of the workers, owners and volunteers who work at for- profit consignment stores and non- profit bazars that support various health, educational programs and children shelters, here at Lakeside.

Donations of clothing and other items of attire are especially helpful and are appreciated by all these groups.

Please think about all the wasted time required of workers and volunteers who have to sort through your donations. If you truly want to help, stop donating heavy wool clothes you wore in 1980 etc. with padded shoulders. No one wants them. Please throw away those clothes that are covered beyond help with cat or dog hair, throw out those clothes that smell of urine and mildew. I have been doing this for a long time and some clothing would make you gag. I won’t even mention the underwear!! UGH! Even had a dirty diaper. Don’t donate clothes full of paint marks, huge holes and beyond cleaning stains or broken beyond repair zippers and stretched out elastic. Jeans all shredded are not in style. How about those shoes with worn or broken straps and/or torn up heels? Oh, yes, and the purses that have been though WWI. Many clothes might be useable if they had been washed first. We cannot do all that.

Expats certainly don’t want them and No!!!, you are not doing this for a good cause…helping the poor Mexicans.

The Mexicans pride themselves on clean clothes; they don’t need or want your trash. If they need clothes at a very reasonable price, there are umpteen bazars at Lakeside in Chapala and Ajijic. They are everywhere, peoples porches, along the carretera, and many side streets.

We thank and appreciate all those who generously donate usable items. But to those of you who feel guilty throwing away those “ treasures”, please don’t ask us to do it. Our time can be used for many more productive things.

I totally agree with you, golden bead! I have volunteered many hours at Salvation Army Thrift stores, and food banks, etc. The things that some people donate are nothing more than trash!

Please people, if you wouldn't want to wear it yourself because it is too shabby or stained, why do you think someone else would? Just because they might be financially challenged, doesn't mean that they don't have pride in their appearance!

Perhaps some of those outdated clothing items could be make into blankets. Obviously, they would need to be clean.

That's what I would think too, maybe not necessarily blankets, but if the material is in good condition it can be re-purposed.

I can remember when a piece of clothing had reached its absolute end, my grandma would make doll clothes, or the occasional apron

That said, yes, keep the garbage out, donate well kept clean items, if something is broken ask staff if they could use it. This is why we no longer have drop sites where I live, too much icky being dumped.

I wish the ideas of recycling usable material, say from a torn skirt or big shirt would catch some talented person's attention. I see so much wasted beaded material or nice brocade ...thinking of pillows or children's dresses or shirts. Being creative is not my forte, but there are sooo many people here who are.

Archived