Chapala.com Webboard

Best GPS for Local MX Travel

LLLnMX

We have a new large screen Tom Tom...it does well in city driving and is suspect everywhere else....not up to date on new roads and by passes, usually wrong about speed limits but it is much better than our last Garmin.....that being said...we still double check before making turns and getting on some roads.

I bought a Garmin Nuvi 2505 with lifetime Mexico upgrades included for a little over 100 USD on Amazon and had it sent here. It does struggle with the congested streets and name changes in GDL but always gets me to my destination although sometimes in a round about way. There are two voices. The one that names the streets is hysterically funny, but not helpful as the mispronunciation is incredible. The voice that tells you simply to turn or go straight and how far is the only one that is usable for me.

It sure saves a lot of money not having to hire a driver to take you to first time destinations and fun exploring new places.

Irish Gal is correct. Using a GPS in Jalisco is considered a distraction and can be confiscated and you can be fined. Keep it below window level.

I also have a Garmin Nuvi and like it although I'd never use it for any local trip. Too prone to bad directions and too dangerous in Guadalajara traffic. The first few trips to Guad can be daunting but after a while you remember intersections, streets and glorietas. If you mess up, turn around and try again. It's a learning experience.

If you really need to locate a destination find it up on Google Maps and then select a street view to see what it looks like. Pull back, select your route and navigate the old fashioned way.

I have a Garmin Nuvi about 5 years old, did a great job in MX, but recently NOB I spent $50 to update maps - totally wasted, the new maps are worse than junk. On a trip a week ago trough several states it tried 3 times to take me on dirt roads, now it cannot find an address in Denver it found 3 years ago, in Neb on a clear open highway it suddenly wanted me to turn left onto a road listed as "Experimental Farm Road" and continuously tried to take me on odd routes rather than direct roads I've driven for 50 years?

My Garmin Nuvi is a couple years old, model 2460. Current models with pre-loaded maps for all of N America (US, Can and Mex) and with lifetime updates are 2686LMT, 2589LMT and 2559LMT.

www.thegpsstore.com has good prices

We love our Garmin Nuvi and use it for Mexico and Canada. I read some time ago that it is illegal to use a GPS in Jalisco state. Not sure of the source.

No idea if this guy is a reliable source, but he does say on his page Mexico couldn't care less. He also says, because GPS "was originally military", some countries might have problems with it. http://www.gpsinformation.net/main/gpstravel.htm

It is illegal in Jalisco to use a GPS that is not an original part of the automobile; built into the dash. Portable units are considered a distraction, as is a cell phone, and both are prohibited.

So, if your car came with GPS, you are OK.

That's an interesting statement, RV. Personally, I'd like to see some source for that. Cell phones certainly are not prohibited; however, it is illegal to talk on them, at least in Jalisco. Not sure about hands-free.

That's an interesting statement, RV. Personally, I'd like to see some source for that. Cell phones certainly are not prohibited; however, it is illegal to talk on them, at least in Jalisco. Not sure about hands-free.

The use of them is illegal....I think you know that.

It is illegal in Jalisco to use a GPS that is not an original part of the automobile; built into the dash. Portable units are considered a distraction, as is a cell phone, and both are prohibited.

So, if your car came with GPS, you are OK.

I don't think it is that way here in GTO. I saw a guy drive past the Transito talking on his phone riding a motorcycle the other day :wacko:

Archived