Chapala.com Webboard

Nationalizing 2003 BMW motorcycle?

bmw1150rt

We are going to start the process to become permanent residents here in Aug. I friend told me we can't nationalize my 2003 BMW motorcycle. Your thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks.

These people will know if possible:

Enrique Bautista email: superimportaciones@yahoo.com

Also, enrique_bautista@yahoo.com.

The website is: www.superimportaciones.com. Enrique's phone is 956-722-6476. Cell - 956-645-8073.

Jose Bautista email: jgbm60@hotmail.com

He is located in Nuevo Laredo 2 blocks from Aduana.

Enrique is at 2500 Pinder Ave., Laredo, TX 78040.

A person in SMA just nationalized his 650 Kawasaki and it was ~ 30000 p at the border.

saludos

Sonia

You can and it is very costly. If you know "Dave" who lives on the hill above Farmacia GDL in Chapala, he nationalized a 2006 BMW. He took it to McAllen/Pharr. It was a bunch of trouble and a bunch of money. So be prepared.

I'm sure he'd be glad to share his experiences as he is a very generous and helpful person. If you want to PM me with your information, I'll make the initial contact for you in case you don't know him.

It is a two step process, once at the border and then in Guadalajara. The second step will be another 2000 or 3000 pesos, depending upon who does your paperwork and approval. In Guadalajara, inspection and plates. A few of the large customs brokers in Laredo were busted for money laundering last month. They had received referrals at times on this web board. It is a sleezy business on both sides of the border. If it were me, I´d sell my Foreign plated bike NOB and buy Mexican here. Much simpler to cut out all of the scum in the middle. Your call.

A 2003 moto, even a BMW, is not worth much more than the cost of importing, let alone the hassle. There's a big Mexican BMW community in Jalisco and quality BMW rides can be bought right now for about the same as NOB, because of the very attractive exchange rate.

Vehicle importation is a mess here right now. Think twice before you try it.

Archived