Chapala.com Webboard

TelMex: Technicolor vs. Huawei

No, it is not. The firmware in the TelMex choices is tweaked to reflect their servers and capabilities. If you were an expert, you might be able to modify a modem to match, but I watched an expert in my house spend three days at it before he got it... and of course the first time it borked, it had to be reset and I lost the changes.

JUST got off the phone with a long-time technician with Infinitum in Mexico City, and he explained to me some things I have long suspected: the parameters used at head office for individual customer lines go wonky all the time. Apart from other affects this has, the main thing is that two modems can behave completely different on the same line at your house. I am currently used an older Huawei, because the newest Huawei went miserable, and the replacement "last year's model' also went miserable... but my older model is working fine. The replacement modem will only get 5Mbits DL, as reported above, while the older one is getting 10. He scanned my service and discovered the parameters are way out (mostly having to do with noise). BUT he said it wouldn't matter which modem I'm using, the parameters can be reset to be correct.

Will this make any difference to anyone reading this today? I can't say for sure.

UPDATE: Was able to get the newer Huawei to replace the other... it is downloading at 5Mbits no matter what I do, while the older Huawei still downloads at 10. As posted, I will wait my 72 hours and see if anything changes. Meantime, two more customers this week have had to exchange their modems. One customer exchanged a bad Technicolor for a recent Huawei, and immediately lost his WiFi Extender connection. I could not reset the connection. That meant he had to go back and exchange the modem yet again.

When I got my last rental I found a box of modems all the same in the garage. Everyone of them worked slightly differently. Kept the best two and power supplies and broke up and threw away the bad ones so no one will get stuck again. Every house I have rented has a pile of various internet flotsam left behind.

My suspicion is that they are buying "end lots" from the manufacturers at rock-bottom prices. When you go to the websites of the companys that make them, neither the Technicolor TG788vn or the new Huawei model are for sale. Alternatively, they may be having them "made to order", which would explain their no-show on the websites. They do have a user guide for the Huawei tucked away, though.

FOLLOW UP: TelMex has reset "the parameters" on my line (up the signal/noise ratio), and I am now getting 11 Mbits DL on the HG658D. This should show that there is hope for others, and I will continue to champion following a full course of service testing for those who need their speeds improved. I am also beginning to track those areas of lakeside where customers consistently report speed issues.

Archived