Chapala.com Webboard

Need new Tires

We ordered tires from goodyear at the pemex station in Ajijic. Better price than costco and local.

We heard the same thing and bought ours there last week. Very good service. They don't have them in stock: You order and they go pick them up in Guadalajara, then call you for an appt. to have them installed the next day.

We heard the same thing and bought ours there last week. Very good service. They don't have them in stock: You order and they go pick them up in Guadalajara, then call you for an appt. to have them installed the next day.

That is great to know, thanks.

When you buy tires ALWAYS check the DOT age code. This will tell you how old those NEW tires really are. Tires age on the shelf. For example most mfg. will warranty a tire for 4 years from date of purchase or 5 years from date of mfg. To check the tires age look on the sidewall close to the rim. You will see the DOT and some numbers and on one side of the tire after the DOT numbers there will be a small oval with 4 numbers within.

The first two numbers represent the week of mfg. example 16 = 16 th week of the year. the second two numbers represent the year made.

Example: 12 = 2012. So in the oval would show 1612 or 12th week of 2012. Personally, I would never purchase a tire that was over 6 months old. Old tires can delaminate, ply separation, or total failure.

With the U.S./Peso at 1.57 it would be a cost saving to find Mexican made tires. A company called Continental or General has a Mexican tire factory and I read a recent survey of off road tires and the General Grabber II came out consistently on top, with 9 other well know brands. They seem to have a wide range of qualities. I don't know who stocks them locally. There is a very large Continental facility on the highway to Guadalajara.

When you buy tires ALWAYS check the DOT age code. This will tell you how old those NEW tires really are. Tires age on the shelf. For example most mfg. will warranty a tire for 4 years from date of purchase or 5 years from date of mfg. To check the tires age look on the sidewall close to the rim. You will see the DOT and some numbers and on one side of the tire after the DOT numbers there will be a small oval with 4 numbers within.

The first two numbers represent the week of mfg. example 16 = 16 th week of the year. the second two numbers represent the year made.

Example: 12 = 2012. So in the oval would show 1612 or 12th week of 2012. Personally, I would never purchase a tire that was over 6 months old. Old tires can delaminate, ply separation, or total failure.

Very good advice. I purchased mine from the "Michelin store" opposite the fire department on the Libermento. I only use Toyo tires, since they are rated the best and the price at this location is the best I found anywhere.

costco and other realers didn't have the size or born date i wanted in the tires

Car city in Riberas, was able to order my tires

they found a set my size and born date no more than 7 months old.

i asked for any tires with Born 9 months or less

very happy.

later net stopped at costco had nitrogen put in as i have a membership

tires are expensive here in mexico.

you want to save money and better section drive north

With the U.S./Peso at 1.57 it would be a cost saving to find Mexican made tires. There is a very large Continental facility on the highway to Guadalajara.

Actually Blackstone tires. An interesting read http://therealnews.com/t2/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=31&Itemid=74&jumival=10179. Factory is owned by the employees.

I have Blackstone tires on my Ford Focus and they seem to be holding up very well. Got a good deal because I know someone that works at the factory.

Archived