Chapala.com Webboard

Canadian Ginger Beer

Like Vernor's from Detroit? I do miss Vernor's, when it was a regional thing. I seem to remember I was addicted to a Vernor's float with vanilla ice cream. I have not noted that there is someone selling ginger beer at the Tues. organic tianguis. I must toodle over and check it out. Where at the organic tianguis do I find this, assuming one walks in the side door by the parking lot?

southwest corner of the Tuesday market...his name is Ken. He used to be the only one in Ajijic selling fabulous sour dough bread and still does but not to the same extent. Many others have jumped on that bandwagon. He also sells Kefir, sauerkraut, homemade peanut butter (both smooth and crunchy)and ginger beer and other products too.

If you want to try his ginger beer, Betty has it at Chopsticks. It is a whole lot better than Vernor's imho but I would also classify Vernor's as ginger ale not ginger beer.

Vernor's is ginger ale, though, right? Really a soda. And that I've purchased at SuperLake and Paz Licores.

The old Panaderia location is top of the hill going west out of Ajijic, in the strip mall on the lake side, where the bagel joint is.

Hey Jaybearll Mom use to walk us down to the foot of woodward ave. and Jefferson ave. for our Vernors ginger ale/ice cream float.

" VERNORS " The gingery ginger ale. That was in the early 40s, Thirty years latter Vernors was one of my liquid sugar accounts.

Great memories growing up in the Big D.

I don't recall ever having had ginger beer, what is the difference?

I think the "ale" is just a name that has nothing to do with brewing. For example, Vernor's uses the word "soda" on their product, while Canada Dry and Schweppes use the word "ale", as do all the ginger ales I ever bought in Canada. Ginger beer is a real kick, but is actually brewed and thus fermented. It apparently originally had alcohol in it a couple of hundred years ago...

Various websites insist that Canada Dry was the originator, not Vernor's, but the dates don't add up. I really, really like Vernor's, but it doesn't taste anything like Canada Dry; it's much sweeter and almost seems like a ginger version of Dr. Pepper.

My Dad once brought home spruce beer to trick me: man, that was awful. Tasted like sparkling sap.

Vernor's is indeed a soda. So gingery you might have to wait for it to stop fizzing less it would go up your nose and cause you to sneeze. I guess it's time to try Vernor's out again and sniff a great memory . Canada dry ginger ale is very flat in comparison.

That was really interesting because I swore to Betty that I got a buzz from Ken's Ginger Beer. I don't drink alcohol (maybe 1 or 2 Margarita's a year) and am very sensitive to it. Be warned if you're the same way.

Hey Jaybearll Mom use to walk us down to the foot of woodward ave. and Jefferson ave. for our Vernors ginger ale/ice cream float.

" VERNORS " The gingery ginger ale. That was in the early 40s, Thirty years latter Vernors was one of my liquid sugar accounts.

Great memories growing up in the Big D.

Detroit is a great place to be from, the farther the better.

Though very tasty, I wonder why there are no ingredients on the label?? I prefer to know what I am putting in my body.

Personally, I don't think you need to worry about any product that is available at the Tuesday Organic Market.

imho, even the large scale professional companies NOB have questionable labelling practices and they do it on purpose...and we're off topic. I get pretty hot under the collar about all the chemicals that are in our food now...labelled both properly and improperly.

I have been making home made spaghetti sauce with the boxed puree in Mexico for nearly 20 years...now they are all labelled (except for the large size)with "Condimiento"...read the ingredients and weep...contains MSG...gag.

Archived