Chapala.com Webboard

CI Banco no more US $ Checks

Just got this news for passport renewals for US Citizens:

From Peter Marigliano with the U.S. Consulate about passports:

CI Banco will no longer be issuing dollar checks. They may or may not resume, but at this point they will not provide that service any longer. They did not have any suggestions for how we might be able to do this.
We are prohibited from collecting cash on site (at the Legion) and cannot accept personal checks. We are trying to find a work around and will keep you posted.
Regardless of what happens, we will do our visit this month to distribute passports to people applied for and to accept whatever applications for people who have already secured a bank check.
We will also post a notice on our website.
I would appreciate you guys spreading the word and will certainly let you all know how when we have found a solution. Of course, anybody can come to the Consulate in Guadalajara. We do passport renewals and notaries M-Thurs from 2:00 to 2:45 pm. No appointment necessary.
Pete

Thanks, Hensley. Good info. For those of you that will be going to the Consulate for this service, take only necessities inside with you. The search before entering the building is extensive. I had to unscrew a ball point pen to show the inside of it to the guards.

The consulate responded to my idea where I asked if I could pay for others here in Guadalajara, they said no that each person must pay for their service at the time it is requested. I called Actinver who was rumored to issue US Dollar checks, one lady said she thought so and passed me to another lady who said no and I wanted to clarify (as someone posted yes and then one person says yes and another no) and then she was pissy and passed me to another who hung up on me. I called back and asked for the manager and was on hold for a long time and gave up.

Nobody has told Actinver in Ajijic or at least the rude lady

I called Actinver in Guadalajara and they were very nice. They said that yes they do issue checks in US dollars BUT....

You need to have an account with them in US dollars and if you have a peso account then it takes 2 days to buy into the fund (I asked exchange rate and it was 15.80) and then after the buyin is complete it takes 2 days to get a check issued so the reality is that unless you have a US dollar account that you will not be able to get a check in time for the consulates next visit.

We may plan trips within the next 10 days to take people into Guadalajara for renewals and pay so that the consulate can bring their renewed passports on their next trip lakeside.

CI BANK SUSPENDS DOLLAR CHECK SERVICES

We have been informed by CI Bank that they will not be issuing US Dollar Bank Checks at this time, although they hope to resume doing so in the near future. As the Consulate cannot accept cash or personal checks, we are working to find a solution to this issue. Actinver has indicated that they will issue dollar checks to current customers. We will do our normally scheduled June 10 visit to Lake Chapala/Ajijic to deliver passports and will provide services to those who have already obtained dollar checks. Unfortunately, we will not be able to provide services to those who have not yet gotten dollar checks.

We continue to look for ways for American Citizens to pay for the services we normally provide on our visits lakeside. In the interim, those needing adult passport renewals and notary services, can come to Consulate without an appointment Monday-Thursday from 2:00pm to 2:45pm, where we accept dollars, pesos and credit cards.

We will continue to update you as we find solutions to this problem. We apologize for the inconvenience.

Archived