Chapala.com Webboard

selling foreign plated car in Mexico

mudgirl

As the Driving pick-up truck to Ajijic topic was locked, I had to start this new one.

In 2013 when I got my permanente status I did in fact talk to Karen Villasenor, as Sonia advised doing in the previous topic.

She told me that my Canadian plated vehicle was now illegal, advised that I not drive it until I was ready to get a retorno seguro to drive it out of the country, and that no, there was no way around any of this. Never did she mention that I could legally sell it in Mexico. So if you can do that now, they must have changed the law in the last 2 years.

And for those of you who still have a valid tip but are heading for permanente status, if you have an American or Canadian buyer who you know and trust, just get the transfer papers online, or have someone scan them to you, fill them out, get your $ from the sale, then have the buyer drive it back across the border still in your name (with a notarized permission letter stating that you are not able to personally drive the car out of Mexico, but that you anticipate your deposit being returned, and of course the driver has to have the same immigration status as you, and they need to send you the export paper), then you can still get your TIP deposit back. They can then go to the DMV NOB to get the vehicle registered in their name, with the transfer papers you have already signed.

"... and of course the driver has to have the same immigration status as you...

mudgirl, please confirm that this is required... I don't think it is. The old Article 106 (?) had this wording/requirement but of course, for example, an FMM (old Tourist Visa) has the same status as an (old) FM3, etc.

Your example of a 'before-Permanente-status' conforms with my understanding. But I am unclear as to what you might be calling 'Online transfer papers'... would you be referring to a state's Power of Attorney w/respect to automobile transactions'?

My understanding is that the best way to remove a TIP vehicle from Mexico AFTER obtaining a Residente Permanente is the Retorno Seguro (Safe Return) document from SAT. This document can specify anyone (maybe not Mexican National, I don't know) as the driver and not necessarily the owner.

Rick- what I was referring to was a situation where the owner of the vehicle is still temporal, hence their vehicle is still legal here, but they are planning to go to permanente status and would rather sell their vehicle to someone here who will drive it north, rather than make the trip themselves. Under those circumstances, I believe the driver has to have the same immigration status as the owner, as per Article 106. With a Retorno Seguro, as far as I know, anyone can drive it back with permission papers from the owner.

The transfer papers I mentioned- A friend of mine sold me her Canadian-plated vehicle here before moving back to Canada. She had her dad in Canada send her the sale/transfer papers from Alberta, where it was registered, I paid her the $, but the vehicle remained in her name until I drove it north a few months later, at which time I presented the papers she had signed and got BC plates and registration in my name.

Unfortunately, 2 years later the immigration rules changed, I went permanente and had to once again drive the car back up north and sell it. Was some P****ed, I can tell you.

In the example you mentioned..... TIP w/owner heading towards Permanente.... the owner at this point could only be Temporal or tourist visa. So either of those two classes could 'buy' the vehicle and drive it NOB to cancel the current TIP and get another one (if that were their intent) driving it back to Lakeside.

Temp our tourist could buy OR a permanente although the permanente OR a driver who is permanente or a Mexican national would need a retorno seguro or if the permit has expired.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived